Another dog bite -- this time, MY DOG!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.cafepress.com
Hoo boy. I came home to some BAD BAD things yesterday.

I had just gotten home, and was getting stuff outta my ride, when my GF's son comes running out and thrusts the phone into my hands. My GF is on the line, and says, "Jerry bit a cop, and is in the pound."

Me: HE DID WHAT?? Why was there a cop there? *freak out freak out*

Guess Dillon was bored and fooling with the phone, "accidentally" called 911. When dispatch called back, he said he didn't call. They send a sheriff's officer to have a look-see.

Dillon, ever-wise, opened the door wide when the cop came, and the dogs ran out. The big one (Moon) jumped on his chest to greet him, and my little one (Jerry), wrapped up in what he probably saw as the pack defending its territory, bit the guy's finger.

Judging by all the blood droplets I saw on the porch, he got him good. Cop left, and sent animal control to collect Jerry for ten days rabies observation at the pound.

*sigh*

If his rabies shots are up to date, they might consider home observation for ten days. Of course, his rabies shots expired in July. I was laid off and penniless at the time, so that expense got backburnered.

I started back at work full-time in December, but just pure laziness, and having to take time off work and stuff caused more delays. None of which are a good excuse, but that's how it happened.

So my dog will be in the pound for ten days. I'm sure he's cold, terrified, and not eating. He probably thinks he got sent back to the shelter forever. Poor guy.

Feel bad for the cop too. It must suck to respond to some bogus call by some punk kid, and have a lil rat dog put holes in you. He even had to have stitches.

I just needed to vent.

If only his shots were up to date, if only Dillon wasn't home suspended and bored, if only Jerry was in the backyard at that moment ... a lot of factors that could've prevented this.

We've already all apologized profusely to the officer, and I'm bringing Jerry his bed and some treats this afternoon. I'm just hoping that this is the end of the matter. It would suck greatly if it led to a lawsuit or worse. :frown:

Sounds like someone needs to slap the s*** out of Dillon.

[Edit] Assuming he's older than five or so. Sorry about your dog.

Bake some cookies or something - get them to the police and shelter. I wish you luck and speedy reunion.

A letter/card to the family of the officer might be good too. With flowers.

Have the kid sign it - say he apologizes for the call too.

You can also get an attorney to help with getting the doggie back, but I would hold off on that for now and see what falls out.

EDIT
I second the Dillon punishment. That ain't right. People are put in danger when answering phony calls.

BHMCruiser said:
Sounds like someone needs to slap the s*** out of Dillon.

[Edit] Assuming he's older than five or so.

He's nearly 14. And trust me, the temptation was SO there. But he would call CPS in a flash. Lil ****.

We've been researching brat camps, but those things are $425 a DAY. Crikey. We're totally at a loss as to what to do with him.

grrlscout89FJ62 said:
He's nearly 14. And trust me, the temptation was SO there. But he would call CPS in a flash. Lil ****.

We've been researching brat camps, but those things are $425 a DAY. Crikey. We're totally at a loss as to what to do with him.

I'm sorry to hear that. You are in an unenviable position.

My parents sent me to a place called Keewaydin in Ontario. It's a six-week canoe camp in the middle of nowhere. Not sure on the cost, but it may be doable for you and the gf. Not a tough-love camp, but it is very hard, and you have to be self-reliant, and if you get out of line, another camper will pop you in the mouth, because you have to work as a team to get through it. Maybe give the kid some time to think, work out some frustration, etc.

You may want to check it out. I highly recommend it.

some places have programs where to take kids with "problems" on a visit to the local jail. Might be an eye-opener?
If he has money, maybe he should contribute the cost of the deputy's visit and medical treatment to some LEO charity? That would be a good lesson...

Sorry to hear all this. Hang in there!

Everyone in the house needs to be responsible to make sure the dogs are "up" before the door opens. I'd start there. Might have been worse if it was a girl scout or something.

Good luck with the kid, sounds like you have your hands full:doh:

LongIsland60 said:
Bake some cookies or something - get them to the police and shelter. I wish you luck and speedy reunion.

A letter/card to the family of the officer might be good too. With flowers.

Have the kid sign it - say he apologizes for the call too.

You can also get an attorney to help with getting the doggie back, but I would hold off on that for now and see what falls out.

EDIT
I second the Dillon punishment. That ain't right. People are put in danger when answering phony calls.

I've got to firmly endorse this line of action, too. (Not so much the attorney, I mean the other stuff).

I think Dillon should do some community service, too. :D

We had an accidental 911 call at our house (the short lesson---never hold a Fisher Price kid's phone near a real phone that has a dial tone and press the toy phone's buttons--the frequnecies on the toy phone are real, sometimes the pattern they play is 9-1-1 :rolleyes: ) and when they call back, we just said "yes, it was an accident, our toddler son dialed, I'm sorry."

Good luck, hopefully you'll get your dog back soon with no long-term problems from this incident.

BHMCruiser said:
My parents sent me to a place called Keewaydin in Ontario...You may want to check it out. I highly recommend it.
Thanks, we'll check it out.

We've been looking at this one Outward Bound program In Utah. It's for kids that haven't quite gone over the edge yet, but are headed there. That would be Dillon.

He's not using drugs, or breaking into houses, or cutting school. He just lies A LOT, doesn't care about school, cuts up in class, is destructive, has no respect for us, our stuff, his stuff, anything, and he's got a bad attitude problem and a temper.

We want to stop it before it goes further. He was going to counselling, be we quit, because he wasn't opening up at all. So the counsellor even said that it was useless.

He's got some low self-esteem, pent-up anger, and some other issues, but just isn't dealing with them.

As for my doggie, he'll be OK in the end. I just called the vet's office, and his shots expired in September, not July, as if that makes a difference.

I'm trying to find out the officer's name, so I can drop off a card for him.

Thanks all, for the advice and support. :)

grrlscout89FJ62 said:

Have the police arrest him for making a fake 911 call, he's still a minor so it won't follow him, but may give him some insight

calamaridog said:
Everyone in the house needs to be responsible to make sure the dogs are "up" before the door opens. I'd start there. Might have been worse if it was a girl scout or something.
The usual policy is that someone holds the dogs, or locks them in the bedroom, when the pizza man / chinese food delivery guy / Jehovah's Witness knocks. So I don't know why that didn't happen this time. :confused:

Oh man, I am sorry to hear this.

The 10 day observation is real. When I adopted my first dog from the pound, I didn't realize she had been abused. She bit me after I frightened her. Had to report it, get a tetanus shot, etc. Since she was current on shots and bit me, I could do the home observation.

Not that you asked me, but I would have the kid go to drop the stuff off at the pound - everyday. And I would have him bring the cookies to the police station. He maight gain a little respect for police officers and the service they provide. Perhaps they have some grunt work for him during these 10 days your puppy is in exile?

First off - sorry for your problems......

Now then - having dealt with one problem child and the inklings of a second - As much as you love them, as much as you care for them, as much as you want to provide for them; there comes a time when you just have to go hard core on them (AKA tough love)...

1) What ever fines come from the false alarm and charges come from the pound stay (they're not going to be free) he needs to work off...

2) Give him a taste of the justice system. Have him arrested - have him go to court - have him serve a few days in jouvie - have him do a few hundred hours of community service... Do it now while it wont effect him after he turns 18

3) Give him a lesson in reality. Parents (at least here in VA) are only required by law to provide basic food, basic clothes, basic shelter, and a basic education. I.E. no TV, internet, radio, ipod, hip clothes, cheesy poofs, sugar bomb cereal, bicycle, 'fun' school courses (band, shop, drama,..), after school activities, trips to the mall, the movies, the skate rink, (get the Idea??) Let him know that it could all go away and there's nothing he can do about it. Let him think about where it all came from - and how is he going to continue in the life he's grown accustomed to in 4 years - Here in VA a parents duties end at 18 and literally you are within the law to give them boot the day after their 18th birthday.

Good Luck - hope it all goes well.

Sorry about the problems you are having with your son, I don't know what to suggest there.

As others have suggested, send a nice card or letter to the officer that was injured. I would suggest you also consider sending a letter to the Chief of the department appoligizing for what happened and stating that you appreciate the job that the department does.

Look at the fact that you are on the fortunate side. I know of one department here in the Bay Area, where it is normal policy to shoot any dog that appears to be aggressive and approaching in a menancing manner. This is in an area that is a Ghetto and full of very aggresive dogs.

Damn, sorry to hear this and wish you all well.

I'd like to second your thoughts of Outward Bound. Had a friend run these and his stories are full of amazing turnarounds. The kids he dealt with were court ordered, they could choose either juvie or OB and as a rule were tough inner city kids. Once they were in a setting where they had to perform, take care of themselves and each other walls fell down. He said it was common to have the tough street kid who "didn't need nobody" break down and sob, apologize, and ask for help, forgiveness and admit they were scared sh*tless every day of their life.

Of course there's a pretty high rate of recidivism in his program due to the long term behaviors of kids arrested. Your kids not there so it may be an effective deterrent. OB runs a number of different programs so if you choose to go this way make sure you get the one most appropriate for your kid.

One thing I wonder about when you describe him is whether or not he's depressed. Sounds like that may be a possibility.

Taking the initiative on behalf of your kid, with your kid can make a difference. I had a couple issues with my son and the police and when we acompanied him to the station/services showing we already instituted penalties they were impressed and went a bit easier. Remember most of these people spend their time arguing with parents defending their kids behavior. They may find it refreshing to hear you say he needs to understand what he did was wrong and ask for help in dealing with it.

Best wishes whatever you choose.

Wow....

Hopefully others can learn from your experience, so thanks for sharing.

Update your home's liability coverage (or renter's coverage) to extend beyond accumulated assets, or in some states, to include your expected wages for the next 10 years (to cover wage garnishment). Make sure it even covers dog bites, some exclude that.

It sucks to be an officer, just trying to make sure something major wasn't going on.

I have no insight for the kid, other than DO SOMETHING, but you already get that.

Kudos for accepting responsibility for your actions. That is rare and shows the character you possess.

Next of course, is trying to teach the kid to do the same thing. Tough, but a life lesson learned now before things escalate, which you know is bound to happen without some type of intervention. At his age, it may be tough to get him to see the ramifications of his own actions, but you know this needs to happen now.

Good luck. As everyone can see from the $500,000 judgement, reduced to $250K thankfully for my client, it doesn't take a pitbull and unsupervised small children to = a devastating emotional, physical, and financial catastrophe, regardless of breed.

i say have the Girl Friend beat her son good. A whippin and he might straighten up but it actually sounds like it should have happened about 6 years ago.

lunyou

Jman said:
Wait, this isn't the weiner dog, is it?
Why yes it is. :eek:

Hiding his inner-Cujo:

jerrysunshine.jpg

lil bastid. BTW it's his birthday today (as if *he* knows!), and he's spending it in the pen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom