Another dang nab clutch question

krzyabncanuck

USFS HOTSHOT
GOLD Star

Got a 87 fj60 with about 155,000 on the clock. Yesterday the clutch started acting wierd. It has the 3/4 to 1 inch freeplay at the top but as soon as you get past that the clutch disengages / engages right there. Does it just need to be adjusted or time for a new clutch ? Its not leaking at all, and still full. The tranny shifts fine, its just at the very top now.

Thanks much.

krzyabncanuck

USFS HOTSHOT
GOLD Star

Mine disengages immediately at the top of the peddle now though. (after the normal play )

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator

A leak would make it engage or disengage at a LOWER pedal height. Sounds like you shoudl jst be happy about it to me ;)

At 155ooo miles the factory clutch is likely worn down. If it is engaging near the top of the pedal that is a sure sign.
Take it up a hill in 4th and floor it, if it doesn't slip there's not immediate problem, but from your description it is probably coming up soon. As far as i know there is no adjustment on the slave.

My dad is stubborn and has put well over 50ooo miles on his accord with a slipping clutch, so its not really urgent

-Dave-

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator

Have not touched him at all lately. (I can't believe that I just said that ;) )

Been playing with the 40, the front yard and the kids.

I have everything basically buttoned up parts wide for the MS conversion I just have to take a die grinder to the TBI adapter so that it actually flows properly and bolt it all up.

Course, I figure the first time I start it up it will just blow up ;)

BTW, WSU is right, take it and load the hell out of the clutch to see if it is slipping. I reccomend a 4K shift while wide open... that will tell if the clutch is doing well or not ;)

Top Bottom