Another coolant leak thread. Cold temperatures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 97 with 180k. Have virtually chased down every oil leak over the last two years. Haven't had any drips under my truck for months. Recent oil change by me less than 300 miles or so ago. I run 5w40 synthetic. OEM little filter.

Last night was colder than hockey sticks and it was parked outside. Temp was zero degrees. When I let it warm up this morning...a good ten minutes. I noticed some oil drips about the size of a half dollar. Now I was in my dress clothes and was running late so I didn't get out and lay on the cold ass ground and it was dark tonight by the time I got home.

Anyone experience anything like this or have any good hunches what could cause a leak due to temp?

Thank you
Mark

I will check it closer tomorrow, but it was new two years ago.

Are you sure it wasn't coolant? I'd bet money that it is coolant. I've had that happen when it gets really cold like this. It seeps past the clamps.

Well now that you say that I suppose it could be. I will check tomorrow morning when I leave for work. Someday all the Iowa 80's need to meet up.

Yeah, that would be cool. We should probably meet here though since I have half of them in my driveway... haha

Check your lower radiator hose first. Then check all of your other hoses. BUT BE CAREFUL. Do not crank on any clamps where there is plastic. I can't remember if the bottom outlet off the radiator is plastic or not. It's cold as s*** out. All of the plastic is brittle. The lower radiator hose is fairly common to have some difficulty getting a really good seal.

It's funny about the Iowa cruisers. The ONLY place I've ever had another 80 owner wave to me was on a back road in South Central Iowa on some random 2 lane blacktop. (It was a silver or pearl sage version and I drive a black one with chrome package.)

I live in a city that has LOTS of 80's and for some reason, the soccer moms just don't understand when I wave at them or give a thumbs up!

If you do get together, I'll come up and meet you......

So it is coolant. Leaked a little more this morning. I'm trying to figure out where. Looks like it is under the manifold area near the back of the block. It doesn't look like it's coming from the coolant lines up on the firewall. I'm trying to see if there are any coolant lines hidden under the manifold area or a freeze plug.

Glad you are headed in the right direction to find it. May you have a heated garage to ease the repair. I added a propane heater to the garage, made last nights -10 windchill bareable.

Pesky heater hose is located on the bottom/back of the block, drivers side, under the intake. 2 inch piece of hose from the block to a hardline, that runs up to the heater control valve. To access it, remove the rear soft flap inside the drivers wheel well, its up and behind the starter. To get to it, remove the trans dipstick tube, and the starter. Might as well get starter contacts and plunger to do at that time too, since the starter will be out. Make sure you drain your coolant, before you remove that hose. There are two bolts that hold the hardline in place, one at the top, one at the bottom. I think you can loosen the top,and remove the bottom to get the hardline to pivot for hose removal and replacement.

You can either bypass the hardline (requires about 5ft of gates green stripe, or napa yellow stripe hose, dont get the cheap stuff), or get the 2-3 inch piece and fight getting it in place. Youll need new clamps as well. I used breeze constant torque clamps and bypassed the hardline on my two 80's.

So it is coolant. Leaked a little more this morning. I'm trying to figure out where. Looks like it is under the manifold area near the back of the block. It doesn't look like it's coming from the coolant lines up on the firewall. I'm trying to see if there are any coolant lines hidden under the manifold area or a freeze plug.

There is a coolant line under the manifold IIRC as well as the PHH. I've never done a PHH but I saw it and have the replacement kit sitting in my box of stuff. It's been replaced on my 93 and looked good. It doesn't look as terrible as people say. Just awkward.

And glad you are on the right track. My guess is that it is a clamp that just needs a quarter turn or so. Coolant expands when Cold if I'm not mistaken.

I've had drips before when it gets cold like this pst few days. I'd do it tonight because it's going to be cold as s*** this weekend!

There is a coolant line under the manifold IIRC as well as the PHH. I've never done a PHH but I saw it and have the replacement kit sitting in my box of stuff. It's been replaced on my 93 and looked good. It doesn't look as terrible as people say. Just awkward.
The worst part of that one is the oem hose clamp. Once those dumb things are out of the way the actual replacement of the hoses isn't too bad.

I may go ahead and do mine before I leave. The clamps he has on it are stupid worm drive clamps. Don't know when it was done so probably better to be safe than sorry. Would much rather do it in my heated garage than the side of the road or on the trail...

The worst part of that one is the oem hose clamp. Once those dumb things are out of the way the actual replacement of the hoses isn't too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom