Another Charcoal Cansister Question (testing) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A62

Threads
Hi, everyone.
I have a question regarding the testing of the charcoal canister. I feel like an idiot or that I'm missing something as the test is very straight forward. According to the fsm, air blown through the tank port should flow freely, air blown through the purge port should NOT. Mine seems to be doing the opposite--just using my own lung power. So, suspecting a bad check valve, I ordered another one from Cruiserparts (anyone use them, by the way? The one they sent me was poorly packaged, filthy and rusted out ($75). Far worse looking then my original.). This one also behaves in the exact same way--no air flow through the tank port, free flowing air through the purge port (granted, some of that air simply escapes through holes in the rusted out top of the canister. But still.).
Do I have TWO bad canisters now? That seems to be the case. I read a thread on here in which someone was getting the same results, as if the ports were backwards.
Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks

Note: this description is for the 2F engine. I don't have an emissions manual for the 3FE.

There are two check valves in the canister that work in opposite directions. One opens when the pressure in the fuel tank is "high" and the other opens when the pressure in the fuel tank is "low".

The test procedure in the FSM is a little different from what you describe. It says when you blow air in either the tank pipe or purge pipe, the air should flow freely from the other ports. This confirms both check valves are opening and that the charcoal bed is not clogged. You may not be able to get flow through all the other pipes using just your lungs. I suppose if you don't have an air compressor you can plug all the open ports and just open one at a time to confirm the various paths are open.

1593524542997.png

1593524936620.png

Every original charcoal canister on a FJ60 and FJ62 has a plugged/malfunctioning internal check valve that can't be fixed or replaced. None of those charcoal canisters are working properly.

Note: this description is for the 2F engine. I don't have an emissions manual for the 3FE.

There are two check valves in the canister that work in opposite directions. One opens when the pressure in the fuel tank is "high" and the other opens when the pressure in the fuel tank is "low".

The test procedure in the FSM is a little different from what you describe. It says when you blow air in either the tank pipe or purge pipe, the air should flow freely from the other ports. This confirms both check valves are opening and that the charcoal bed is not clogged. You may not be able to get flow through all the other pipes using just your lungs. I suppose if you don't have an air compressor you can plug all the open ports and just open one at a time to confirm the various paths are open.

View attachment 2356979

View attachment 2356982
Hmm. Thanks, 2mbb
Mys fsm states something different as you can see in pic. My ports seem to do the opposite of what they should be doing. Perhaps I'm not generating enough pressure to open the valves in tank port, but it shouldn't be moving so freely through purge. At least that's my understanding.

at[/QUOTE]

IMG_4565.jpg

Every original charcoal canister on a FJ60 and FJ62 has a plugged/malfunctioning internal check valve that can't be fixed or replaced. None of those charcoal canisters are working properly.
Yeah, I'm starting to see that based on all the posts I've read. I think I just wasted my money on a replacement from cruiserparts. It seems to function the same way. And is in worse condition as my original.

Hmm. Thanks, 2mbb
Mys fsm states something different as you can see in pic. My ports seem to do the opposite of what they should be doing. Perhaps I'm not generating enough pressure to open the valves in tank port, but it shouldn't be moving so freely through purge. At least that's my understanding.

at

View attachment 2357006
[/QUOTE]

I guess the FJ62 canister is different from the FJ60. Is there a cut-away schematic to confirm this change? In the schematic I posted you can see that the purge port for the FJ60 canister doesn't have a check valve just on that port; the two check valves are connected to the pipe from the fuel tank.

I beg to differ, I've successfully cleaned out plugged canisters by dribbling carb cleaner into each of the ports with a check ball and cycling pressurized air and vacuum to get the ball to move. Each time has worked and the canister works as designed then passes evap pressure test and no gas tank pressurization up to 13k feet then passed smog.

If carb cleaner doesn't work, I'd drop a few bits of carb cleaner such as Chemtool to clean out the varnish/dirt.

Reactions: OSS

I guess the FJ62 canister is different from the FJ60. Is there a cut-away schematic to confirm this change? In the schematic I posted you can see that the purge port for the FJ60 canister doesn't have a check valve just on that port; the two check valves are connected to the pipe from the fuel tank.
[/QUOTE]
Here's the schematic from the 62 FSM. Looks, more or less, the same as 60. No check valve on purge side. Why, then, shouldn't the air flow out--as it states it should not do? I can understand the check valve preventing air from escaping, but wouldn't it simply escape from the vent port if nothing else? Strange.

IMG_4566.PNG

I beg to differ, I've successfully cleaned out plugged canisters by dribbling carb cleaner into each of the ports with a check ball and cycling pressurized air and vacuum to get the ball to move. Each time has worked and the canister works as designed then passes evap pressure test and no gas tank pressurization up to 13k feet then passed smog.

If carb cleaner doesn't work, I'd drop a few bits of carb cleaner such as Chemtool to clean out the varnish/dirt.
Thanks, mattressking.
I did try this about a week ago, but haven't fired in pressurized air--no compressor. I swapped the tubes in hopes of relieving my issue (having engine performance problems--after running for a while will start to cough as though running out of fuel. Getting codes 25 and 26.).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom