another CDN M101 trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

fogblanket

SILVER Star
Threads
well I have builds for all my other cruiser projects so I thought I would start one for my CDN mil spec trailer.

I got the trailer in February 2005. My dad and I went in on it to haul a snow blower between our houses. I have pics that I have taken over the last 2 years of its modification into what it is now and when I find them in on the various computers I use I will try and update and edit messages with more pictures i will try my best to post them in chronological order but don't hold your breathe on that.

anyway the first order of business was cutting a tailgate. wheich was my first welding project as well. I have gotten much better since then actually before I painted it I redid all my early welds.
hear are som pics of when we got it.
trailer 01.jpg

a couple of the tail gate
trailer 03.jpg
trailer 04.jpg

for the next year it was used to get gravel for my driveway bring home all the loose fj45lv parts and to gather field stone for a stone wall project. it was durig one of my forages for stone for my wall that I really felt the stock tires had lived a fine life and needed to be retired. so I researched and got the nescisary hubs to switch from the stock 5 lug to the 6 lug pattern so I could run cruiser wheels. I figured since I was under there and had it all apart I would SOA it as well so I could run 35"s so as to match the tires on my fj62 and eventual tires on my fj45lv. it uhmm came out a bit bigger than I planned but I have grown used to it now.
trailer 07.jpg
trailer 08.jpg
trailer 09.jpg

at some point I sprayed in SEM bead liner very nice product I had gotten it to undercoat my fj45lv and figured to see how it would hold up in the bed of the trailer. here is a shot of the bed with the black bed liner
trailer 10.jpg
trailer 11.jpg

so that brings it up to the present. I got a roof top tent and plan to have a removeable frame to mount it on my trailer.

I plan on painting my fj62 when I am finished with my fj45lv build in a year or so and have nver really like the champagne color and wanted to try something a little darker so as not to hav eto redo everything when I paint it so I figured to test colors out on the trailer to see how I would like them. I got Beige poly
(4H6) not sure I like the metallic look on the trailer but it is growing on me. I have one more coat of clear to shoot then I will pullit out of my garage and ge smoe better shots of it.

along with the paint I finished up a bunch of little tings on it like using some angle iron to lengthen the front leg so it sits closer to level I also added some 1/4 bar stock reenforecment to the tail gate hear and there.

the trailer is not perfect by any means but I kind of use it hard so it is not meant to be perfect. anway I will post up more ics of its progress soon.
Jason
trailer 041707 01.jpg
trailer 041707 02.jpg
trailer 041707 03.jpg

Ok i got the trailer out of the garage and moved it from my front back yard to my front yard which means driving 2 blocks... anyway the paint is on I like it in that it is a close match to my fj62 color and it looks clean and fresh but it did cement the color I will eventually paintit and my fj62. OEM Olive Green which is the mid 70's middle brown color. I hav always liked that color but thought it would look too retro on a fj62. but I really dislike the metalic 'champagne of my fj62 was looking for something darker and I just don't think I found it with the 'golg' I used to paint the trailer. even though it is a shade darker.
regardless it was definately not a waste of paint or a project. it matches my fj62 nicely and the wagon is going to have to wait until my fj45lv is on the road and reliable until it sees new paint. my wife would kill me if I had both cruisers in the garge for an extended period of time:)
anyway back tot he trailer. there are still some odds and ends to do I need to weld up the frotn kick stand a bit and creat one for the back in order to level and support the trailer when camping. I saw some others in the trailer section that have what I am looking for. also need to make the rack for the tent but I have that drawn out and should get to that in a few weeks.
well here are some pics of it in the dy light and with the wagon should be a pretty cool combo when it is all said and done.
trailer 17.jpg
trailer 18.jpg
trailer 19.jpg

as I said before the trailer lives in teh front yard off of a 1 car parking spot for our first floor apartment tenants anyway I just dug out the and leveled the parking spot this winter and built a stone wall around the back side of it. on the side away from the house I built a stepped wall in that I could not level it to the driveway due to tree roots and I did not wan tto remove the tree roots so I was able to make my own rock climbing garden :) basically I back the trailer up on top of the rocks once it is where it is in the picture I can unhook it and roll it back into its spot...
trailer 20.jpg

thanks guys still not set on how I plan to mount the tent on top. the sides are pretty high already so it will prolly just got on top and form the lid.
jason....why is the song Mr. Jones and me running thought my head.....

ok been awhile but i got alot more progress on this thing. I got my tent mounted I just bolted on 2 thule bars to the top I want to see how that goes on an upcoming trip then figure out if I want a lid or not or have some sort of tilt upable rack for the tent.
anyway I also built a rear stabilizer basically like the ones one of the expidition trailer sites sell but my legs are longer to deal with the SOA and I had fun welding up some scrap in the garage.

pictures
stab foot 01.jpg
stab foot 02.jpg
stab foot 03.jpg

here are some more
stab foot 04.jpg
tent on trailer01.jpg
tent on trailer03.jpg

it seems my 3.5 year old girls thought Daddy's new fort was pretty cool
tent on trailer04.jpg
tent on trailer06.jpg
tent on trailer07.jpg

camp site trailer in action
RE10.jpg
RE18.jpg
RE28.jpg

ok been awhile since I posted on my trailer thread. I have slept in the tenton the trailer 11 nights now and have made some little changes to things here and there.
i took the tent off for the winter in that the trailer is stored outside right now while I build my lv in the garage. but I finally got ride of the awful color and painted it olive brown and am very happy with how it looks now. my plan is to paint my fj62 the same olivebrown in a year or so. anyway my next project is to tweak the 3rd whell i got for it so as to be able to use it as a leveling leg while camping. just need to cut off the welds and reweld it on to make it longer.

then my plan is to attach the 4 thule bars so they are one unit and have it so one could hinge it up like a top from either side. I also want to make it such that the tent on that 'cage' for lack of a better word could stand on its on on the ground in case the trailer needs to be used out of a base camp and the traile r need to be left behind.

my other project is I want to build a rack ont he front of the trailer that would hold a cooler and a water jug or fuel jerry can on each side of it. I got some ideas so we will see how it turns out

anyway here is a pic of it painted
oilvebrown.jpg

Where to the stabilzers go when you aren' using them? Do they fold up? Do you have a pic please?

Thanks!

Rezarf <><

some fresh pictures.
oh i have not been to my own thread in awhile the stabilirers flod up (sort of) and I just slide them into the trailer.
Fall Gathering 201048.jpg
Fall Gathering 201047.jpg

Kind of cool to see the changes over the last couple years.......:beer:

Nice LC'ers btw

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom