Another bumper accessory (bike rack) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kent

Pedal Head
SILVER Star
Threads
Swing out bike racks are nice but $$$ and without them it's a pain getting in the rear cargo. Thought I would take advantage of the swing out tire carrier and get the bikes out of the way when needed. This carrier is super stout and I think it will be able to take the extra weight :hillbilly:

The driver swingout is for a jerry can holder and ladder that is not completed yet.

The bumper is from Mike at Bump It Offroad.

I didn't make the trays, a friend snagged them in a dumpster dive when a local shop moved locations.

The red rags allow the cranks arms to fit snug and not get scratched up. I stole that idea from the shuttle services in Moab.

One could easily make a number of different modular pieces to use the receiver hitch in the middle of the wheel.

DSC01714.jpg

DSC01718.jpg

DSC01721.jpg

DSC01722.jpg

DSC01724.jpg

nice, but wow, that looks like serious bending torque on there with all the cantilevering....

nice, but wow, that looks like serious bending torque on there with all the cantilevering....

Yes it does, hope it's not an issue!

That would be too easy. It's also getting harder to make that style of rack work with all the crazy bike frame designs.

::shrug::

thats what top tube adapters are for. :p

I'd just be nervous that a pair of 40 + lb downhill bikes + the weight of the rack would put too much strain on your hinges.

Cool rack! I haven't seen the idea of using the crank to hold the bike upright. Pretty neat. The hinge for the swingout looks like a stub axle for a trailer. If so, they're generally rated for at least 1000lbs of weight bouncing around at highway speeds, so I (personally) wouldn't be worried about the strength of the hinge as long as it's solidly attached to the bumper.

Besides, those are just weight weenie XC bikes :flipoff2:

great idea for clearance and easy loading.
don't worry about the tire carrier, you have plenty of weight to go before that thing bends.

great idea for clearance and easy loading.
don't worry about the tire carrier, you have plenty of weight to go before that thing bends.

Mike at Bump It Offroad said the same thing, they are rated for 1100# so should be plenty sturdy. I may make a simple brace that goes down to the hitch to triangulate with the end of the rack. This could be put in place for rugged terrain where bouncing would increase the leverage load.

The attachment points on the crank arms are a really neat and simple idea, but of course not mine. When I saw the shuttle services in Moab just hucking bikes on top of the vans as quick as you could hand them up to them I knew that system had to be a good one. For those of you that have ridden with them, you know they don't drive slow :lol:

I asked a couple guys and they said no lost bikes yet :D

Did you allow for provisions to lock your bikes to the rack?

That is suhweeeet! (the Nomad that is) and the bike rack rocks too! ......from a fellow pedal head

Did you allow for provisions to lock your bikes to the rack?

I'm going to use a cable lock. The hitch pin is locking to keep the rack on the truck. Planned to get a cable lock anyway to keep the spare from walking too.

The Nomad is a cool bike!

It has literally changed the way I ride.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom