Another Brake pedal noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The 2018 LX has started making a noise when the brake pedal is depressed. Sounds like either the ABS system engaging (but it should have no reason to under normal braking) or the traction control system trying to engage, i.e. small pulsating noise. Does not do this in park or when stopped. Does not matter if the traction control is on or off. The 2015 Land Cruiser does not do this. Any ideas? Anyone else experience this? This is not the whoosh sound discussed in other threads.
Thanks!

Check brake pads for wear.
Check brake dust shield for debris.
Check rotors for damage/deposited pad material.

Did this start suddenly or come on slowly?
Can you also feel it in the brake pedal when the noise happens?
Was there any event like hitting a curb just before it started?
Does it happen at all speeds?

Is it the brake booster? Buzzing sound every 2-3 presses?

It could be the accumulator / booster if it’s a whirring noise after pushing the pedal. Could be that it is getting tired. How many miles?

known point of failure on the earlier 100s in the 175-200k miLe range, though ive not heard about that much on the 200 series.

Thanks, everyone. So I drove it again last night after I posted and the noise has gone away.

Check brake pads for wear. They are OK
Check brake dust shield for debris. Maybe this was it?
Check rotors for damage/deposited pad material. OR this and whatever it was went away?

Did this start suddenly or come on slowly? Suddenly
Can you also feel it in the brake pedal when the noise happens? NO
Was there any event like hitting a curb just before it started? NO
Does it happen at all speeds? YES

Is it the brake booster? Buzzing sound every 2-3 presses? Happened with every press, just not while stationary.

It could be the accumulator / booster if it’s a whirring noise after pushing the pedal. Could be that it is getting tired. How many miles? Only 26,000 miles.

I wasn't "feeling" it when I would hear the noise, it would just sound like the ABS kicking on. Another mystery.

Just wanted to bump this again as the noise hasn't gone away and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, on LX or LC. Doesn't affect the performance of the brakes, just an annoying noise. Sounds like dropping rocks on the rubber floor mats or a bottle rolling around. Can't see or feel anything loose. total mystery to me.

I also have a whirring noise after pushing the pedal every time as well, super annoying. Hasn't affected to performance of the brakes. I thought it could be the ABS system has air in it and might need to be bled.

Just wanted to bump this again as the noise hasn't gone away and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, on LX or LC. Doesn't affect the performance of the brakes, just an annoying noise. Sounds like dropping rocks on the rubber floor mats or a bottle rolling around. Can't see or feel anything loose. total mystery to me.
is it still under warranty? If so, might be worth just having the dealer look at it. Where does it sound like the noise is coming from?

is it still under warranty? If so, might be worth just having the dealer look at it. Where does it sound like the noise is coming from?
yeah it's under warranty but nearest Lexus is 3 hours away. Just sounds like it's by the pedal area.

Any way to try and get a recording of this?

I’ll bump this again. Have it too. Same as @Big Timber . Any headway? Maybe call corporate and see if they can get an engineer on it?

I’ll give it a whirl and see if I can capture it Though it’s fairly faint.

I know Toyota has had multiple recalls for the booster/pump assembly for 2019 models and a couple more years.

UPDATE - spoke to a Sr Advisor at corporate 800-331-4331.

Those that have this should call and open a case in the off chance there are bum parts installed on our vehicles. Squeaky wheel and all that…

Unsure if they’ll replace booster/accumulator/cylinder assembly but they asked me to take it to a local dealership, get it inspected, an estimate done and have the service manager contact them with my case #.

Last edited:
I, too, have a brake noise and I’m curious if it’s the same one that’s being posted about here in this thread. It happens every time brakes are used but the brakes are stopping without issue.

2021 with 1k miles.

Video is shot while vehicle is in accessory 2 mode but noise also appears while engine is running. I’m this video I press the pedal 3 separate times and you will hear the noise immediately following each press.

What I find odd is some vehicles have It and some don’t.

An alternate theory is the noise is faint enough to hit the annoyance threshold for some, not others.

Spoke to a buddy whose a Lexus/Toyota Master tech, he said it’s normal. When I brought up it seems to be happening for some and not others, he couldnt explain it.

What I find odd is some vehicles have It and some don’t.

An alternate theory is the noise is faint enough to hit the annoyance threshold for some, not others.

Spoke to a buddy whose a Lexus/Toyota Master tech, he said it’s normal. When I brought up it seems to be happening for some and not others, he couldnt explain it.
I’ve been down the rabbit hole on this noise for a solid day and a half and I think either one of your theories are correct… ‘it happens on some and not others’: ok, improbable but not impossible. ‘Hits the annoyance threshold for some, and not others’: probably.

After hearing videos of accumulators going bad I can easily rule that out and after seeing the video in the thread posted below of a normal 4 runner accumulator sound I can accept that mine is probably fine.

I’ll keep checking for codes and trying to train my hypersensitive brain to focus on something else.

I figured by my age and all the hearing damage from screaming kids and close proximity gun shots I’d not hear this kinda crap anymore but I drive my wife and myself crazy with ‘did you hear that!?!’ all the time.

200 Serious Break Accumulator Noise - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/200-serious-break-accumulator-noise.1134813/post-12410186

Food for thought: you are driving one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet with years and tens of thousands of miles of warranty left on it in case this does end up being a real problem. Also, this is a critical safety system that toyota will have designed with diagnostic and early warning systems to alert you to problems, and specifically engineered so that if it fails, it has fall-back systems to make sure you don’t die in a ball of fire.

Drive more, worry less.

I, too, have a brake noise and I’m curious if it’s the same one that’s being posted about here in this thread. It happens every time brakes are used but the brakes are stopping without issue.

2021 with 1k miles.

Video is shot while vehicle is in accessory 2 mode but noise also appears while engine is running. I’m this video I press the pedal 3 separate times and you will hear the noise immediately following each press.
I have this exact same noise. It happens every third or fourth time I press the brakes.

My car is currently in the shop for the 95,000 mile service (I bought it a couple years ago with 75,000 mile on it). I told them about the noise and asked them to look into it and check the break booster, master cylinder, and check for air in the break lines. After inspection, their response was "all of that stuff looked good."

Maybe it is totally normal and I (like you) am just sensitive to this particular sound. Either way, I'm with you on wishing that there was some way to get rid of the whirring noise. So please let me know if you find a solution!

So a lot of vehicles share the same braking system. Almost every Toyota with 4wd and traction control has this system.

I can’t play the videos on mobile but, the buzzing sound is the brake accumulator spinning up and building pressure for your next braking “cycle” now, what’s different from the 200 series master cylinder units vs others is this unit is made by ADVICS vs Denso

I figured by my age and all the hearing damage from screaming kids and close proximity gun shots I’d not hear this kinda crap anymore but I drive my wife and myself crazy with ‘did you hear that!?!’ all the time.
roflmao… so similar it’s scary.

Food for thought: you are driving one of the most reliable vehicles on the planet with years and tens of thousands of miles of warranty left on it in case this does end up being a real problem. Also, this is a critical safety system that toyota will have designed with diagnostic and early warning systems to alert you to problems, and specifically engineered so that if it fails, it has fall-back systems to make sure you don’t die in a ball of fire.

Drive more, worry less.

Keep in mind the company you’re referring to installed Takata airbags IT KNEW had a design defect that could kill people and put hundreds of thousands at risk of serious injury or death if they deployed. Multiple 2019 Toyota vehicles were recalled for issues with the brake system that could result in injuries. Companies not doing the right thing, acting too late or not at all happens far too often.

If you know what warning light comes on when the Landcruiser’s accumulator or booster degrades or fails, please let me know. E-brakes don’t work well in Colorado when you’re headed back from skiing and coming down a steep 6-8% grade mountain pass at 70+mph.

I work in med device and have seen docs put in unnecessary devices and chose a treatments that benefitted their pocketbooks due to financial ties with a company over treatments that produced better outcomes. One company I worked for refused to fix problems for years with a $250M a year life sustaining device for critically ill patients that could injure or kill. That company was acquired by another and they put the it on commercial hold for ~16 months to fix those problems.

I appreciate your optimism but assuming companies operate with the best intentions and don't do risk cost/benefit analyses down to a fraction of a penny or put profits over people is naive. If we don’t advocate and look out for ourselves, no one else will.

Keep in mind the company you’re referring to installed Takata airbags IT KNEW had a design defect that could kill people and put hundreds of thousands at risk of serious injury or death if they deployed. Multiple 2019 Toyota vehicles were recalled for issues with the brake system that could result in injuries. Companies not doing the right thing, acting too late or not at all happens far too often.

If you know what warning light comes on when the Landcruiser’s accumulator or booster degrades or fails, please let me know. E-brakes don’t work well in Colorado when you’re headed back from skiing and coming down a steep 6-8% grade mountain pass at 70+mph.

I work in med device and have seen docs put in unnecessary devices and chose a treatments that benefitted their pocketbooks due to financial ties with a company over treatments that produced better outcomes. One company I worked for refused to fix problems for years with a $250M a year life sustaining device for critically ill patients that could injure or kill. That company was acquired by another and they put the it on commercial hold for ~16 months to fix those problems.

I appreciate your optimism but assuming companies operate with the best intentions and don't do risk cost/benefit analyses down to a fraction of a penny or put profits over people is naive. If we don’t advocate and look out for ourselves, no one else will.
People have been complaining about the noises coming from toyota electronic brakes since they were released, and we see shockingly few actual failures. You’ll get an ABS and probably VSC light for accumulator errors, and be able to get in there and pull codes with techstream. Other Toyotas with a similar format of system have seen failures and they are virtually always gradual with lots of warning lights even when the brakes operate correctly.. but things are on their way out, hence the warning lights.

I don’t assume they operate with the best intentions, I know publicity about brakes failing on significant numbers of vehicles is something most of the public can wrap their heads around as being scary, so manufacturers try to avoid specifically because it’s bad for profits. Probably even more so than the airbag debacle.

Also the 2018/19 recall was over a vacuum pump issue, most of which don’t have any diagnostic capability, unlike our electronic assist systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom