another biggest tire i can fit on my fj60 thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dohcdelsol93

snoogans
Threads
this one is a little different.

I've got about a 1.25" suspension lift, hfs shackles.

on top of that i've got a 2" body lift

extra leafs have been added to the rear leaf packs to take away the sag.

I've been wanting to upgrade from my 31x10.5's to 33"s for some time now.

However my diesel doesn't like hwy rpms very much as it sits now even with the ranger OD and stock 3.7 gears.

I compared a set of 33x10.5's from a buddies 62 to my 31x10.5's (both KM2's) and the size difference is not that much.

His rig has an OME lift just a few years old and with my 31"s on my rig sits higher than his.

Pulling his tire off and sitting them infront of mine i have a ton of spare room for 33"s.

I'm wondering if i can fit 35"s under my rig, this would bring hwy rpms to about 2000-2150 at 70mph making it smooth sailing with plenty of rpm band to make passes.

I'm not too worried about loss of low end torque since low end torque on stock gears is something that i have plenty of.

The main issue i'm concerned with is how it will fit.

I've heard rule of thumb is for every 1" of body lift i put on i can fit 2" more tire. So by rule of thumb and a stock cruiser fitting 31" tires 35"s would fit.

I would plan on lowering my bump stops to prevent scrubbing, or as much scrubbign as possible.

What do you mean by saying your diesel doesn't like highway rpm's with the stock 3.70's and an overdrive? Putting 35's on would be almost the same as switching your gears to 3.0's

Check a gear calculator to see what your rpms will do but without a gear change you would be hurting off road performance drastically, regardless of the diesel. If you can't find one here on mud, this is the one we posted on our website Gear Ratio Calculator

Tony

my 4bd1t is a little un happy at 2300-2400 rpms at 70 mph. I'm probably closer to 75 at that rpm since the 31's throw the speedo off a bit.

My engine likes to ride as close to 2K as possible. at 35-40mph i'm cruising in 4th gear and have plenty of power to pass without down shifting in aroujnd city traffic. Anything above about 45-50 i have to engage the OD.

i need to get longbow to chime in, he's running 35's on stock gears with the same engine but he's got an H55. I'll see what his opnion is of the 3.0 gear ratio

35s will rub like a fat kids thighs on your truck.

I had a similar setup probably about an 1" higher than yours and it rubbed so bad I did a soa in 2 weeks after the new tires.
you would have to cut just to be able to turn all the way. You need at least 4-5 solid inches of lift and even at 4" its extremely borderline. 5" seems to be about the minimum without cutting and around 6" is about perfect.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-...oa-paint-tires-gx470-8-passenger-seating.html

Look at the second picture in my thread. This is my 60 with about 4" and 33s, I was comparing the pictures of your truck with 31s and it looks like mine still has more tire to wheel well distance at that point so it must have been at least an inch taller. then the next picture is with same lift and 35s and it rubbed horribly everywhere. Page 2 has it after soa.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom