another annoying birfield removal question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
alright, i've got everything apart but the knuckle.

the birfield slid right off of the axle as the race between the cage and the inner part of the birf was in little tiny pieces.
the inner-axle slid right out of the housing, and the inner-birf-claw looking thing was still stuck onto the end of the inner axle. there was a small clip holding that claw thing on, but it came off with ease.

to put back things together i have 2 questions.

1. do i need to take the knuckle off the of the axle?
this write-up says i do, but i don't understand why if the birfield came out with ease.
http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/birf_removal.php

2. how do i get the birfield back onto the inner axle being that the little small clip (the one i referred to previously) needs to be on the very end of that inner shaft.
do i install that clip then pound the birf over it? is this the "pipe method"?

just put it back together the way it came out, i never seperate my inner axles

just put it back together the way it came out, i never seperate my inner axles

the only part that won't go back together the way it came out is the small clip on the very end of the inner axle shaft. this is why i think the birf must be pressed over that clip.

note: the clip is shaped as though it were a piece of small diameter round stock bend into a 'C' shape.

That C-clip needs to be compressed before sliding into the birf. Several guys have made their own SST with a hose clamp and a piece of sheetmetal....tuna can, IIRC. Looks and functions like a ring compressor.
Poser just posted a pic of one not too long ago.

Ed

Here is another option.......

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=132180&highlight=C-clip

Last edited:
alright, so i don't have to remove the knuckle right? the birf came out without removing it, i don't want to take it off for no reason.
is taking it off only for cleaning purposes?

alright, so i don't have to remove the knuckle right? the birf came out without removing it, i don't want to take it off for no reason.
is taking it off only for cleaning purposes?

If you are planning on replacing the wiper and felt, you will need to remove the knuckle in order to put them on.

If you are planning on replacing the wiper and felt, you will need to remove the knuckle in order to put them on.

nice.

alright next problem.

anyone know a part number that will work for this seal?
it's the one that seals around the inner axle at the knuckle.
part.jpg

call kurt @ cruiseroutfitters.com, he will set you up with everything you need, just tell em what you are doing.

also, if you have another set of hands it makes installing that birf on the axle much easier, mount the birf in a vice, one person compresses clip and the other hits the top of the axle with a mallet, and it's in, 30 seconds of work, just hard without an extra pair of hands.

NOah

nice.

alright next problem.

anyone know a part number that will work for this seal?
it's the one that seals around the inner axle at the knuckle.

let me know if you need some i got 2 brand new ones i got in a kit i could send them out today...:popcorn:

i found a timken at autozone that seems like it might work.
it's #1981.

here are then numbers against the napa one.

the napa one listed above is
I.D.:1.2990"
O.D.:1.7380"
Width:0.3150"

and the timken 1981 is
I.D.:1.1810"
O.D.:1.7770"
Width:0.3150"

the timken is .118 I.D. smaller and .039 O.D. bigger.
same width... i was close. i'll score the napa one.

Hint:
Use a zip tie to compress the clip.

Zip tie worked for me also

You could just mar -tack the inner axle .If you've broken one birf you'll probably do it again and mar-tacked axles make trail repairs easier. Unless you're going to longs I wouldn't put that clip back on.

You do not have to remove the knuckle if you do not want to unless ya wanna install new wipers on the rear of it. As far as that C clip goes, I had a hell of a time with mine. Someone suggested taking 2 hose clamps, cutting the screw part off of one and wrapping it around the clip and compressing with the other clamp. Worked great for me. Zip ties worked for the short axle for me but I went thru probably 75 zip ties on the long axle and couldn't get it on. It took the hose clamp method to get it done... On the seals, cruiseroutfitters or the stealer. I got them local from the stealer at 7 bux ea. I know, that's why they call'em stealers......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom