Another ammo can console (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Two Buck

SILVER Star
Threads
I picked up a 20mm ammo can from my local Army-Navy Surplus the other day and got around to sticking it in the rig tonight. I like it. I still have to rig up a hinge on the back end of it so I can flip it open rather than lift the whole top off, but it'll do for now. I finally have somewhere to put my arm besides draping it over the passenger seat back, and plenty of room for ... stuff.

I used a piece of cardboard to make a template to drill the holes so I could measure twice (or three times) and drill once. It's about as far forward as it would go and keep it level, and it feels like it's in the "right" place in terms of where it is front-to-back. There's plenty of room for the stick shift.

I think I mounted it a little too close to the passenger seat, though. The wife says it feels fine where it is and doesn't feel too close, but I may remount it close to the driver seat anyway when I get around to painting it. I'll put a padded cushion on top at that time too, but it feels fine without one. The are no sharp edges to whang your elbow on.

IMG7101-M.jpg

IMG7099-M.jpg

IMG7100-M.jpg

IMG7104-M.jpg

Plenty of room in there. Here's the stock tool kit in it for perspective:
IMG7108-M.jpg

(Those fossilized french fries were hiding under the OEM console. They're at least 5 years old. :popcorn:)
IMG7109-M.jpg

IMG7111-M.jpg

I like it! Ammo cans are as redneck as it gets! :hillbilly:

With a little effort, you could do a lift-out tray and have a hidden area under it for your .357 !!

Man, that's even red-neck for Sherman Oaks!

Update with pix

I did a little more work on my ammo can console; figured I'd post pictures of it to close out the thread.

I painted it gray to match the interior, made a pad for the top from marine grade vinyl, and bolted in a hinge. I'm pretty happy with it.

I've got a cheapo plastic Walmart cupholder propped up against it that I'm giving a try versus bolting on something more permanent. So far so good.

IMG7126-M.jpg

IMG7127-M.jpg

IMG7129-M.jpg

IMG7135-M.jpg

IMG7136-M.jpg

Nice...I may have to do this instead of a CCOT/Smitty one. I'm a cheap ass!

Nice solution for the hinge

I did a little more work on my ammo can console; figured I'd post pictures of it to close out the thread.

I painted it gray to match the interior, made a pad for the top from marine grade vinyl, and bolted in a hinge. I'm pretty happy with it.

I've got a cheapo plastic Walmart cupholder propped up against it that I'm giving a try versus bolting on something more permanent. So far so good.

IMG7136-M.jpg

This looks pretty good - I've got a 20mm ammo can console, but never bothered with a hinge. Mine is tan to match, and I've got a similar drink holder. Sure you didn't sneak into my driveway and take a look? :)

Glenn in Tucson, AZ

I like it much better painted! Nice touch with the hinge as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom