Another AC related thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all. Looking for some advice here. My ac is ice ice cold in the morning but later in the day the worst it gets. By 2:00pm in coastal NC, it barely gets cold. Add to that I have to charge the Freon every 3-4 weeks. Below are the things that have been replaced in the last 15-20k miles…..

All that said, what else could be wrong??? I see threads where people state these ac systems suck but that should mean I need to recharge this every month.

would tinting the front windows and windshield with ceramic film help? Thanks in advance.
  • 285k - 30k mile service interval - Replaced both front axels and seals, AC Compressor and dryer, Cam and Crank seals, valve cover gaskets and rear main.
  • 281k - Replaced front brakes. Replaced Evap core, compressor clutch, dryer and o rings

I was losing freon because the AC radiator was clogged with mud, especially from the back side for some reason. The mechanic was able to diagnose it because the pressure was way to high with the AC running. So you might be losing your freon through the emergency valve; not sure about deteriorating performance throughout the day.

Hey all. Looking for some advice here. My ac is ice ice cold in the morning but later in the day the worst it gets. By 2:00pm in coastal NC, it barely gets cold. Add to that I have to charge the Freon every 3-4 weeks. Below are the things that have been replaced in the last 15-20k miles…..

All that said, what else could be wrong??? I see threads where people state these ac systems suck but that should mean I need to recharge this every month.

would tinting the front windows and windshield with ceramic film help? Thanks in advance.
  • 285k - 30k mile service interval - Replaced both front axels and seals, AC Compressor and dryer, Cam and Crank seals, valve cover gaskets and rear main.
  • 281k - Replaced front brakes. Replaced Evap core, compressor clutch, dryer and o rings

You shouldn't have to recharge that often. You have a leak somewhere that would be categorized as something more than a 'slow' leak. I am the first to suggest not chasing down slow leaks *those requiring a slight recharge once a year* but yours is clearly outside that realm.

Ceramic Film on the windows will help reduce Solar Gain and any reduction in heat load will help the A/C system work more efficiently. But I think you will find the benefits apply mostly to initial 'cool down', when the vehicle is first started but has been sitting in the heat.

IF there is less heat load 'heat soak' to contend with....then the cabin will cool faster than if not. However....this does not address the issue you likely have with the system itself.

Next time you recharge buy the can that has UV dye in it. Stick a glow stick in your mouth, get your rave on, and hunt with a UV light to find the leak.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Recharging and I’ll start hunting with my black light flash light.

also made an appt for ceramic film as well as some 80% ceramic film that suntek makes for the windshield.

Hopefully I can close this loop here in the next week.

My guess is leak at the expansion valve..

Replace the valve cores on your charge ports, too. I had a slow leak on one of mine. They are j-spec sizes, so you need a special installer for the valves, regular US one won't work. But the special installer is not more expensive, just different.

Try check the rear O-Ring.
Mine RHD rig, the O-Ring located at rear right below the bumper. Replaced it with the new O-Ring, the AC back to normal.

Hopes it help.

The hard lines to the rear unit are notorious for leaking, especially where they're clamped in place.

The hard lines to the rear unit are notorious for leaking, especially where they're clamped in place.^
^^^^

This.

Definitely a place to look.

Replace the valve cores on your charge ports, too. I had a slow leak on one of mine. They are j-spec sizes, so you need a special installer for the valves, regular US one won't work. But the special installer is not more expensive, just different.

JRA valve cores. *Japan Refrigerant Association*

Another area of leak is the condensor on the passenger side, the dryer is built in and the welds can developed pin hole leaks. I went two summers haveing to recharge every few weeks. Worked great for about 3-4 weeks and then nothing. Finally bit the bullet and thru in a new denso condenser. About 100 bucks? anywho it as a pretty simple job, the next time i could do it in 20 mins. Two tips do not unhook the Transcooler, just unbolt. Second the manual will send you in the wrong direction (my thoughts). What I did was unbolt the top and middle brackets. Then you unbolt the bottom passenger side, which should give you enough play to wiggle the drivers side up and over to unbolt it. Install in reverse ( I may have order of sides reversed, but it will be very apparent which way to go after looking) I suggest 1/4 drive socket and wobble extension. The new Denso comes with all new brakcets, also th unit drops straight down and thier is just enough room to tilt and pull out from the bottom with the LX height in normal spot. An yes skid plate off

Based on my research, I bet it’s a leak or two in the lines to the rear AC, although they should have tested for that. I had my compressor and evaporator core replaced about a month ago. My new system stays ice cold throughout the day. And that’s in 95 degree Ga afternoon heat. When they were diagnosing my problems I asked several times about the rear lines. So far so good but I have a feeling I’ll be dealing with them at some point as well.

Another area of leak is the condensor on the passenger side, the dryer is built in and the welds can developed pin hole leaks. I went two summers haveing to recharge every few weeks. Worked great for about 3-4 weeks and then nothing. Finally bit the bullet and thru in a new denso condenser. About 100 bucks? anywho it as a pretty simple job, the next time i could do it in 20 mins. Two tips do not unhook the Transcooler, just unbolt. Second the manual will send you in the wrong direction (my thoughts). What I did was unbolt the top and middle brackets. Then you unbolt the bottom passenger side, which should give you enough play to wiggle the drivers side up and over to unbolt it. Install in reverse ( I may have order of sides reversed, but it will be very apparent which way to go after looking) I suggest 1/4 drive socket and wobble extension. The new Denso comes with all new brakcets, also th unit drops straight down and thier is just enough room to tilt and pull out from the bottom with the LX height in normal spot. An yes skid plate off
Do you have a part number for the Denso condensor? Thanks!

Ordered it from Rockauto I believe, just make sure you get the denso one. I think it was listed last.
DENSO 4770603 I have rear a/c with rear controls. Best bet used Partsoq and put in VIn, then search for Toyota part number. Google search should fine it sold by others as well. Currently Rock auto seems to be out of stock of the one I bought.

Does anybody have a diagram showing where all the ac lines run or a high level overview of the ac parts and locations? I'm trying to chase down a leak... haven't found it yet. That said, I've traced the lines I can see, but a coupledisappear on my and I haven't found where they head. It's likely the tubes running to the rear system. I don't have a solid idea how that rear system works, so I'm not sure where I should even be looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom