Another A440f thread... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all-
I was servicing the automatic transmission on my recently acquired FJ62. As for a little bit of history on this trans, it was replaced by a factory Toyota unit at a dealer about 11 years ago. I show also, based on the service records that came with the truck, that this has only covered about 10k miles since the install. Lucky me, right? Maybe. As I said, I was servicing the fluid and the filter as a matter of principle, since I don't see any record of it being done since the replacement unit was installed.

I dropped the pan and I found this tube stuck to one of the magnets in the pan...fluid was nice and red, filter looked brand new, as I'd expected it to. Of course, I lost a night or 2 of sleep over the affair proceeded to scour the internet for exploded views of these transmissions in order to surmise how bad off I may be. Well, I think I found the tube. Looks like it fits into the top corner of the valve body which then bolts onto the body of the trans. Also, the transmission seems to run and shift pretty well after a kick-down cable and throttle cable adjustment.

So the questions: Is this tube important? Should I worry? What purpose does this tube serve? A drain or pressure tube of some kind?

Thanks in advance.
IMG_5976.jpg

has there been any issues with the trans?
if no issues, I wouldn't worry about it.

has there been any issues with the trans?
if no issues, I wouldn't worry about it.
I was having an issue with the trans purging fluid from the dipstick tube- not the spout branching off of the tube, but out of the top where the stick latches in. I serviced it as I said, and replaced what I thought was the requisite amount of fluid, per the FSM and it still dumped fluid. I removed about 2 pints and it hasn't leaked any since. BUT- I do get a 2-3 second hesitation into reverse when the trans is cold and only when cold. I may just add a pint to split the difference and see how it goes. I may be swapping in the Rodney valve body in the near future and just don't want to spend the money if my trans has other issues.
Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom