Another 94 with a random idle issue... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, chasing down an intermittent low idle issue on my 94 and reading through everything here I'm starting with the basics - Throttle body cleaning, vacuum hoses, new PCV, and testing/cleaning my IAC valve (and hoping it's not the VAFM). Started to dig into it the other day and when removing my throttle body I found these Gems. It appears that whoever put this back together last saw the broken throttle body and IAC valve, or maybe overtightened it themselves since the breaks are pretty much the same contour. It didn't have a screw in it, just a lot of blow by mixed with some gasket maker remnants, so I'm assuming it will be part of the issue in some way.
While I would usually go and just replace the parts I find myself in a bit of a bind with a baby on the way (part of why I started this work in the first place, you've gotta come home from the hospital in style) and was wondering if anyone thinks it could be fixable? I have access to my college machine shop so I may be able to go in and weld/machine the parts

20230408_182902.jpg

20230408_182932.jpg

20230408_182949.jpg

That's a real mess. There's a special place in Hell for people who do things like that.

Throw that IAC away and get another. @slow95z may have one he can hook you up with. Failing that, post in the classified section or, if you can stomach it, get a new one (it will not be cheap).

The throttle body is fixable, but not easily, or I'd guess permanently. You could JBWeld an ear on that you machined to fit the original profile, but you have to cut the broken areas flat so it would join well. You could TIG an ear back on and grind the face flat so that it'd seal, but it would probably be easier, although not cheaper, to replace the throttle body.

oof, that looks rough. i have everything you need but even used thats not cheap stuff.

That throttle body is F'd. If you want to keep it cheap you could drill a hole through the valve body and a corresponding hole on the main body. Tap the hole on the main body and screw it together. Not a high torque spot but overall pretty ghetto. That seal is probably F'd as well.

That would get you by until you can source a used throttle body for a 93/94

Just post a WTB thread in the classified section here for a new used throttle body. Don't dick with trying to fix that one the aluminum casting doesn't really play well with tigging. also the face of that is machined for a gasket fitment so you'd have to have it planed. Just get a used one from a member for like $50 and avoid the headache.

If you need a quick fix plug the IAC port with JB Steel Stick and then tighten the throttle cable up so it keeps the throttle plate cracked open slightly (or drill a hole in the throttle plate to let idle air flow through it)

Thanks for all the replies guys. I sent @slow95z a message and will update this as things go along.
@SmokingRocks I don't 100% know if this was the complete cause if the idle issue, I've had the rig for just over 2 years/10k miles and it just started with this in the last 2 months or so. Based on the amount of blow by it's definitely supplemental, so if you come to Boise I'll get lunch.

So you can retrofit those IACs to be "manual", but you also want to have a good seal. I did a "manual" mod to mine that worked fine. Had to hold the throttle down when cold, but idled nice when warm.

A new throttle body would be good, though. There's a pick 'n pull near you in Boise. I'd ask them if they have any FZJ80s in the yard.

So you can retrofit those IACs to be "manual", but you also want to have a good seal. I did a "manual" mod to mine that worked fine. Had to hold the throttle down when cold, but idled nice when warm.

A new throttle body would be good, though. There's a pick 'n pull near you in Boise. I'd ask them if they have any FZJ80s in the yard.
I read your thread on that when I was trying to figure out what might be going on, much appreciated.
Unfortunately no cruisers in any local yards, so I'll be relying on MUD members/vendors when I figure out what I'm going to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom