Another '85 SFA\EFI 4Runner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found this 4runner in Mason City and bought it last fall. I thought I already posted it here :)hillbilly: Oh, here we go again!...No, j\k) but I looked and didn't see it and I guess if I'm going to be a member, I might was well own up to the toyotas that I own. I think the LC's are really cool and I think the FJ's are GREAT (I've driven Larry's several times on the trail and yesterday part way down to the MIOBI meeting) but I guess the 4runners are cheaper and I'm a cheapskate, so...

EDIT: This 4Runner isn't for sale, I'm keeping it for my Daily Driver but I do intend on fixing it up for mild wheeling.

Paid slightly less than asking price due to new dent in drivers fender and newly cracked sunroof window (the guy started letting his maniac 15-16 yr old kid drive it to school).

Don't be fooled by the pics, it's got significant rust around the wheel wheels (dinging trim). I'll be cutting all that out and repairing what I can and replacing what I can't.

It's a fully loaded '85 SR5 model, with both a SFA and an EFI engine. Tho it's not rare, it's not common either. Everything works, including the rear heat and it just turned over 100k miles.

Anyway, I've already ordered some new parts, some axle rebuild kits and am planning on installing a nice stereo system (which my friends chide me for since I listen to NPR all the time and not so much music these days).

My goal is to have use this 4runner as a winter-ready daily driver. I'll install some secure tow points and carry straps to pull out those poor college girls in their hondas when they get stuck.
(Seriously, I live in Des Moines in the Drake area, which has alot of severe hills around it and it's not hard to find people stuck after a storm)

Unfortunately, the rust looks bad enough that I'll have to replace the front fenders if I want to maintain the stock look.

Details of the work I intend to do....
Replace all fluids with cheap crap (diffs, tranny, trans, engine, steering, brakes, clutch, radiator) Run it that way for 50-100 miles and...
Replace all fluids with good stuff (mostly syn except the engine)DONE
Install nice stereo
Install 4.56 gear diffs (rear with new lunchbox)
new 31" tires
Bud Built crossmember
Marlin front axle rebuild kit w\HD front seals (these are the bomb)
Replace sunroof glass
Repair rear window mechanismDONE
Replace rear tailgate shell
Install soundproofing in interior of body panels
Dual batteries

Actually, I could go on and and on.

Gold_4r_01.jpg

Gold_4r_05.jpg

Gold_4r_04.jpg

Last edited:
4runner for sale

I would like to take a look at it if you still have it. Please give me a call. (515)681-8549.
Thanks, Randy

whoops

Sorry, I have been looking at several of these online and I guess I thought it was for sale. My apologies. I feel stupid for not reading it thoroughly.
Thanks, Dumbass5.0

Sorry, I have been looking at several of these online and I guess I thought it was for sale. My apologies. I feel stupid for not reading it thoroughly.
Thanks, Dumbass5.0

Eh, you're not a dumbass at all. It took me a couple of times reading it over to realize that Dingman wasn't trying to sell his other stock Runner. A buddy of mine bought the gray one he was selling a couple of months ago. Then another friend of mine bought it from the first guy that bought it from Dingman. I knew Dingman had this 2 tone one and I was shocked when I saw this post that I initially thought was him selling this one too. Then I reread it a couple of times and realized it was his build thread instead. :)

Well then, I could see the mistake, the format of both my 4Runner posts was similar.

Don't sweat it, glad you liked it enough to be interested in buying it. Come over sometime and I'll let you drive it, I don't start it enough so it would be good for it.

I put replaced the tranny shift bushing and ball last fall because it was a little sloppy but now it's a little sticky, I think it still needs some breaking in. (yeah, 5 months ago or so but less than 300 miles).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom