Another 45 restoration (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So Ron can get the proper adjustment on the Rt fender the PO drilled the holes out so they needed to be welded in an re set. Showed the process how he cut some plugs welded them in and ground them down ready to get ready for a proper adjustment when installed.

50BAEB68-CA4A-43DE-A7B9-77D5C074E380.jpeg

430FAF9D-8843-4FE3-A8BA-619B950F1D21.jpeg

5AE0067B-783C-4976-829F-D0F15C9FAC3C.jpeg

Work from today, from previous the holes were filled and Ron fitting the rt front fender says looking good for fit. Coming down the final stretch the frame that was a bit out and straightened it previously worked out. one surprise was a bit of bondo on the top was a bit disappointing, however it can be hammer dollyed into proper shape onward we go.

4CE3EF32-5990-4063-B785-688D1485B542.jpeg

539C3B1F-E066-4721-8DF7-021F254BC018.jpeg

Ron Says the body is all pre paint fitted and ready to go to the media blaster to get blasted lightly. He wants fresh metal to prime over, finally the day has come and the light in the rear of the tunnel is in sight. I am thinking of Spring Green for the color

View attachment 3018685

View attachment 3018686

View attachment 3018687
I think that color in the finished one is Nebula Green, no? Spring green is lighter/brighter. I agree that Nebula is a perfect color for a restored FJ45. Great progress being made on your truck!

Ask Mark @cppilot , he’ll know, that’s his rig.

Have been in the process of working with Ron on deciding on a final color for the 45 it has been difficult but i finally sat down on one . Something close to Dune brown to make it easier to have the paint store but still a Toyota Tacoma color I went with 2017 Quicksand finally so the preliminary supply list is not cheap $3200. for starters.

California paint is probably higher cost then midwest paint. but Nothing good is cheap.. and if you break it down that isn't much.
Epoxy primer,
light skim coat of filler
build primer if needed
sealer
color
clear
tape, lacquer thinner, gun cleaner, surface prep, Tack cloth, drop cloth, sandpapers, sanding blocks, paint cups and strainers, stir sticks,
and a booth..
and the know how of how and what to use when.

You hit the nail on the head. the truck is being restored in Idaho and all the products are top drawer. that is the only way i will do it have to much time as well as $ to go cheap. When i paint things I consider it the frosting on the cake so it is the last on and the first to see. This truck will be as good as it gets and I am excited to be able to support this, TNX for your support and input.

I painted my truck and quit adding it up. I know I was over that in supplies. Hard part is waiting to assemble. And cleaning and painting all the small stuff. Itll look great! Can't wait to see another completed project.

I painted my truck and quit adding it up. I know I was over that in supplies. Hard part is waiting to assemble. And cleaning and painting all the small stuff. Itll look great! Can't wait to see another completed project.
It has been a long journey, If you have been following you have been able to see the travels as it was a can of worms and mostly hidden rust damage . As it started to unfold nothing was spared in repairs and I was wondering when we were going to reach bottom. iIt finally came at the very last possible moment just at the last piece of body was uncovered. Now that, that point has been reached it has been nice to take a deep breath and can say i see the light at the end of the tunnel. I am sure i will be making more trips to the paint store also.

It is with great pleasure that I show you the original 45 tail gate, it has been a labor of love for me and the challenge was to take a rusted out and bent out from things slamming back against this rear member, i dident think i could do or it was not fixable. I did get the end pieces and the bottom crossmember , had it bent up at the metal works and just kept at it. I still need to do the final finish metal grinding on all the fastening attachments but
and a little massaging on the center section between the letters and it will be perfect. the center piece was void of rust out so that was good but badly dented from the many years of abuse. moving on… Sophie always offers her suggestions as the shop dog and keep me honest.

78440060-6439-4B4F-9E07-8F33C0001863.jpeg

F6C16D9B-01CE-4983-A171-CD96DFDAD1F9.jpeg

D4993EFB-174A-48F6-9045-7A4D1F5090CC.jpeg

I love your commitment to this precious (if not unobtenium) part!
Can’t wait to se this tailgate in its place again...

Last edited:
Recognize your hard work ! Good job !
I can hardly wait also to see it with its wheels turning under its own power. I have enjoyed doing the impossible work but the real credit goes to Ron who has been working on this kind of stuff for almost 60 years, he is the true craftsman and hopefully He can make the dream come true sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom