Another 3000kms with the MB-T (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The first shot is a mine outside of Eholt

Middle , most of the roads are good shape even though a D6 just scuffed the surface

I laughed at the travel advisory sign
Kootenay 2011 001.jpg
Kootenay 2011 002.jpg
Kootenay 2011 003.jpg

Last edited:
A few more

I just got a call outside of Eholt, My uncle said," Hurry up and get here with your piece of Jap scrap"

From the top of Nancy Greene, there is the Shields FSR it will take you down to the old CP tracks that were torn out years ago. There was a sign that said No motorized vehicles. As I was prepping the VHF (To scan activity) A quad came down the rail bed. The guy said hi, I said Hi. Anyhow this guy has a cabin around Shields , he is the caretaker of the railbed from Shields to Farrin tunnel . He said we (as in my cruiser trailer combo and his quad) arent really supposed to be on here but since you came all this way go for it , but I warn you it gets narrow and there isnt too many places to turn around. So I carried on

I camped beside the bridge

One of the few tunnels
Kootenay 2011 005.jpg
Kootenay 2011 009.jpg
Kootenay 2011 010.jpg

Last edited:
Looking from railbridge onto Lower Arrow lake (Columbia river)

A short tunnel on the raibed ( I will post some stuff on You tube ) I have way better videos than still pics

The last is Sheep Creek out by Salmo. The bucket trams of the early part of the 20th century. These are not on any maps but the ones @ Jersey are documented
Kootenay 2011 011.jpg
Kootenay 2011 015.jpg
Kootenay 2011 024.jpg

Last edited:
More bucket trams around Sheep creek
Kootenay 2011 025.jpg
Kootenay 2011 027.jpg
Kootenay 2011 032.jpg

I have a bunch more that I will post later. Off to work.

Over the years there has been some discussion about motor vehicles on this and other sections of the TCT. In this case, as in around Princeton, it is posted no motor vehicles but the people who posted it have no authority to do so.

BTW, nice pics. Wish I had the time and energy to do all the travels you do.

Nice Pics, Aaron! I am too envious of all the time off you had! Get back to work, will ya? I grew up in Castlegar; I love the area; so much to explore.

:cheers:

Please guys , it wasnt all fun , I had to drag the 6ton warf up on the beach to fit a few more logs underneath and then take it back out but alot further because 2 days later the level of Kootenay lake was going to go down by 8 feet.

Just out of this picture to the right is where the CP engines fell into the water in 1995. I know my Grand Dad was probably rolling around in his grave. When he came to Canada he worked for CP being a section Foreman From Yack to Kaslo , Eholt to Castlegar to Midway . My Dad Walter grew up in the Little CP Rail houses along the tracks in some of the most remote areas. Before any train was on the tracks Grampa would take his speeder and check all the trussels (because of Land slides and Sons of Freedom ) planting Bombs . For those of you that may not remember , certain parts of the Kootenays had Curfews due to the civil unrest.

Below is a Vivian Diesel made right here in Vancouver. This was one of the 6 motors that save the Miners from drowning in the Bluebell mine in Riondel when the Sons of Freedom cut the Power to the Mine in the early 60s . Sons of Freedom are pieces of s*** in my eyes. They are a extreme right wing sector of the Doukabors

On a friendlier note, Doesnt the IP look like an early H diesel pump ?
Kootenay 2011 043.jpg
Kootenay 2011 049.jpg
Kootenay 2011 050.jpg

Last edited:
Some more, This Kane Creek , I used to hear about it when I was younger. Only made it up a few kms to where the Bridge is/was. Another good road to a great place that is no longer .
Kootenay 2011 060.jpg
Kootenay 2011 062.jpg
Kootenay 2011 065.jpg

Sandon, I decided to give the lady $4.50 donation to see all the old stuff in the Museum.

Hmm lets see the compressor was period correct .

The pic of the Loco is not correct. It was used in the Prairies as a switcher, not a mountain puller.
Kootenay 2011 069.jpg
Kootenay 2011 073.jpg
Kootenay 2011 075.jpg

Last edited:
Off to work !

My appologies for the delete posts , I would sometimes post double pics:bang:

Nice! Thanks for sharing those

Great pics. How tight was the tunnel and the rest of the trails?

Growing up in Castlegar, the Freedomites as we called them were a feared bunch; there were parts of the Slocan Valley that you dared not stop your car at for fear of being shot at (so the legend goes).

The Sons of Freedom hated all possessions including clothes; when they were in court (for various crimes), they would have plastic bags put on them. They were a wacky bunch; not sure if they are still around or not; I sure hope not.

I had probably a dozen doukhobor friends growing up; probably the most peaceful, honest folks around, the exact opposite of the Sons of Freedom. A very interesting history in that part of B.C. for sure.

As a kid I used to see the trains running over the Blueberry Paulson (rails are gone now of course) and the barges running the rail cars up Slocan Lake (I'm a train fan!).

Thanks for sharing all of those pics, Aaron! Brings back lots of great memories!

Last edited:
I've met a Freedomite, or at least the descendant of one. He'd be in his forties and definitely a different cat. I think they're still around except not quite as extreme as half a century ago. One has to remember that there was a lot of s*** going on at that time with our secret services, government institutions, breaking up of communes, Soviets, fear of spy's, commies, assassinations...

Cool photos and even better stories of BC history that I knew nothing about. Makes me even more interested since :princess: and I are looking at moving to that area. She is of doukhobor decent from her fathers side and has a lot of family scattered in that area that I've never met :hmm:. We did a recce through there last year; the area as a whole was really nice, but there were a couple pockets that were kinda creepy in a deliverance sort of way. Keep the stories coming guys, I'm all ears!

I've met a Freedomite, or at least the descendant of one. He'd be in his forties and definitely a different cat. I think they're still around except not quite as extreme as half a century ago. One has to remember that there was a lot of s*** going on at that time with our secret services, government institutions, breaking up of communes, Soviets, fear of spy's, commies, assassinations...

There was also a lot of tension in those communities as industrial development (new highways, hydro dams, etc) brought industry type towns (my folks rented a BC Hydro house for a few years in Robson) very quickly into a relatively quiet and inaccessible area (save for the railway) in the mid 60's to 70's. I remember being 5 years old driving the new highway 3 west of Grand Forks to Kelowna which was still gravel as they were building it at the time; we hit an elk in my Dad's 55 Chevy wagon (no safety glass) we were showered with small glass fragments, all of us had minor cuts and scratches. Funny how one remembers those early times.... :hmm: Also remember the controversy in Castlegar with the building of the Castlegar-Salmo connector of highway 3 in the seventies.

Much of B.C. really wasn't easy to get to until the late sixties. So you can imagine what folks that had been there for 2 generations (the Doukhobor's started arriving before WWI) felt about that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom