Another 300-series rumor thread

It’s interesting. People don’t seem to have any problem dropping 80-100k on an Escalade. I have never seen a two year old Escalade that didn’t rattle. When you get into the four year old Escalades, they look like junk. I mean seriously look like they should be scrapped for parts. Trim pieces falling off, paint issues, etc. ai am sure that somewhere, somebody has a well maintained, four year old Escalade that does not have issues, but I have never seen it. They actually seem to be built to worse tolerances than the Tahoe and Yukon, when supposedly the Escalades are the premium of the platform.

Having said that, I travel quite a bit and rent cars regularly. Tahoes and Yukons are standard for most agency fleets, and while they are nice to drive as a rental, if they have more than 10k, it is predictable. The front interior door handles will be loose, the dash will rattle, and at least one of the power seat controllers will not work. It has been like this for years.

Why do people tolerate crap like that on $60k vehicles? Hell, there are people that have asked Toyota to pay for a cracked radiator on a 200 series with 90k miles. The tolerances in the vehicle build mirror the tolerances of the buyers I guess.
on point here. most Escalades that I see around where I am at are a 3 to 4 year lease /purchase that can be written off / depreciated as a business expense for most buyers of these. then its rinse and repeat for them for the newer face lifted version. Navigators are in same class. so long term longevity expectations don't really factor into their purchase decision. And the used market that buys these heavily depreciated rigs are a demographic on their own looking for the image OR the entertainment industry (read club n hotel transportation n such). the yukon denalis are very similar although they do have more of a suburban / domestic audience than the escalades. The personal escalade buyers cross shop it with the range rover and tend to lean towards the latter from what I've seen - more prestige I guess.

The non denali yukons and tahoes probably have a longer average ownership duration than the denali yukons / escalades from my anecdotal observation , although, I have not looked at hard data to confirm this.

And that 50-60k would likely still be cheaper than a stripped down 200. Everyone here knows the cruiser would still be the smart move, but how many posts do we see about “my wife would kill me if I bought a vehicle with cloth seats”?
and I have no shame in admitting that I am one of them.... :)

on point here. most Escalades that I see around where I am at are a 3 to 4 year lease /purchase that can be written off / depreciated as a business expense for most buyers of these. then its rinse and repeat for them for the newer face lifted version. Navigators are in same class. so long term longevity expectations don't really factor into their purchase decision. And the used market that buys these heavily depreciated rigs are a demographic on their own looking for the image OR the entertainment industry (read club n hotel transportation n such). the yukon denalis are very similar although they do have more of a suburban / domestic audience than the escalades. The personal escalade buyers cross shop it with the range rover and tend to lean towards the latter from what I've seen - more prestige I guess.

The non denali yukons and tahoes probably have a longer average ownership duration than the denali yukons / escalades from my anecdotal observation , although, I have not looked at hard data to confirm this.
I can comment on this as I have owned the following GM vehicles.

- 2009 Chevy Tahoe Z71
- 2013 Chevy Suburban
- 2017 GMC Denali Yukon XLT
- 2020 Cadillac Escalade

Simple reason, we are a family of 6, and road trip frequently. We need space for us and lots of cargo. The only other vehicle we would have bought was the diesel powered Ford Excursion......but those don’t exist unless you pay 6 figures for a custom built one on a super duty platform these days. Lincoln Navigator or Ford Expedition... no thanks. The only reason I dump them every 3-4 yrs is because I refuse to keep them beyond 100k miles. Why, because they won’t last. The 13 Suburban and 17 Denali both were showing early transmission issues. Beyond that, they have all been flawless. Never a single major repair. Paint in excellent shape for a daily driver. Zero rattles or broken plastic bits inside the vehicle even with 4 kids doing their best to destroy them. So...they are a good reliable vehicle inside their “real life in use service life” which for me is 100k miles. I wouldn’t push them past 100k without expecting major repairs and services.

I would have gladly bought something else years ago but they weren’t practical for us then. Always wanted a Land Rover but their reliability is nothing short of crap. Granted it has improved it seems over the last few years but the return on investment isn’t there for me. Now that my kids are getting older and starting to leave the nest, the LC is about to join the herd. we love camping and heading to the mountains. So many great trails and roads we have had to skip by because the GMs aren’t capable. That’s about to come to an end.

9OH1

Formerly 'Treybird87'
GOLD Star
If they were to add a knob or have the ability to change the A/C fan speed on the home screen I would consider trying to talk my wife into upgrading from our ‘18 200 to a 300. If there is a way to already do that on our current model please, someone feel free to chime in.

If they were to add a knob or have the ability to change the A/C fan speed on the home screen I would consider trying to talk my wife into upgrading from our ‘18 200 to a 300. If there is a way to already do that on our current model please, someone feel free to chime in.
I hear you brother!

CharlieS

SILVER Star

Don't you just hit the climate button and use the touch screen? Or did it get more complicated in newer models (I have a '13). We usually just use the up down arrows to adjust the auto temp thing and my wife messes with the vents to redirect air if it is too much.

Artie

SILVER Star
Are you sure this isn’t a dealer specific service? My local Lexus shop does the same thing and I didn’t even buy my used LX from them.
The valet service is a Lincoln thing, it’s available while the standard warranty is in place and you can extend it on the extended warranty and maintenance plan. We have it for 9/100,000. It’s not that I can’t do the work myself, I just don’t have to anymore. I’d do it on a LC and I continue to be the family mechanic... I don’t think I’ll ever retire from that role.

9OH1

Formerly 'Treybird87'
GOLD Star
Don't you just hit the climate button and use the touch screen? Or did it get more complicated in newer models (I have a '13). We usually just use the up down arrows to adjust the auto temp thing and my wife messes with the vents to redirect air if it is too much.
Thank you for this! It sounds like ours works exactly the same as yours. My post was definitely an exaggerated first world problems type thing but I was unaware of the auto workaround, that definitely takes the edge of frustration off for me. Pathetic, i know... Thanks! Now I have the big decision of whether or not I mention this to mah lady. Haa.

1world1love

SILVER Star
Yeah, I spent a year being frustrated about having to use the touchscreen to adjust the climate control, but when I started using auto, it changed everything. The auto in our other vehicles has been a waste of a button, but the LX auto works amazingly well. I essentially keep it at 68 at all times and never think about it.

Yeah, I spent a year being frustrated about having to use the touchscreen to adjust the climate control, but when I started using auto, it changed everything. The auto in our other vehicles has been a waste of a button, but the LX auto works amazingly well. I essentially keep it at 68 at all times and never think about it.
I keep my 01 LX470 at "auto" and set to 68 and never touch it either. My wife gets cold but she just turns her vent off.

I didn’t read the whole thread so forgive me if it was mentioned already. Remember the V10 diesel Touareg? I think that vehicle was a big lesson for other auto companies not to bring midsized SUV diesel rigs to the US.

Markuson

SILVER Star

On my 2008.... you hit climate, then poke the fan speed level on the screen... Done. It will still mind the temp numbers, but do so at the fan speed chosen.

Is the discovery the same size as the LC? I always though it was a GX sized competitor for some reason (at least currently)
LC and Discovery have always been similarly sized. The GX is just barely smaller than the LC/Disco, couple inches shorter and narrower
I`d that the LC and LX combo needs to move in the same pattern as the Expedition (52-70ish) and Navigator (76-96) but then the issue exists of where the sequoia fits into all of this.
LC/Sequoia is just Highlander/4 Runner in a larger size class. The Sequoia doesn't really compete with the LC. It is an on road to light off road people hauler only, just like the Tahoe. Land Rover/Ranger Rover is a better comparison than Exp/Nav.

bloc

SILVER Star

I didn’t read the whole thread so forgive me if it was mentioned already. Remember the V10 diesel Touareg? I think that vehicle was a big lesson for other auto companies not to bring midsized SUV diesel rigs to the US.
Then when they reintroduced the diesel it was a much smaller efficiency-oriented engine, and they still felt the need to cheat to not use so much DEF.

I REALLY liked the 3.0TDI touareg I had, especially with the 8spd.. but that engine just wouldn't motivate a landcruiser well with the extra frontal area and 1000lb extra curb weight.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 1.08.42 AM.png

I leave the HVAC system in auto. I hardly ever adjust the fan speed so I can’t say that I understand the desire for a knob to change the fan speed.

LBridges

SILVER Star
I leave the HVAC system in auto. I hardly ever adjust the fan speed so I can’t say that I understand the desire for a knob to change the fan speed.
^ That. In our new LC I have yet to even try it out to see if it works (maybe I should).

I will turn the upper air vents from time to time depending on if I want more or less air directed at me.

Just to further stoke the debate about a down market LC and domestic competitors, anyone think the new bronco is going to have an impact on potential 200/300 buyers? seems like it could have the utility a lot of people of looking for, but i know we havent seen it yet.

Top Bottom