Another 300-series rumor thread

I have a pretty good friend that is an engineer on the Tundra project up until COVID hit he was back and forth to Japan at least once a month he claims the new LX/LC will be turbo v6. I have seen some of the engendering drawings of the Tundra and he has said quite a bit about the new LC/LX.
Did he say if the new turbo v6 will reduce towing capacity?

My friend is an engineer at Toyota too. He said the new land cruiser will have 2 USB ports and a Bluetooth tape deck.
For some reason I don’t doubt it! Slow to adopt latest technology in the larger Toyota’s and Lexus vehicles.

I recall coming across a YT video a month or so back referencing not only a turbo 6 cylinder but also a turbo 8 cylinder. Is That it was speculative that the top of the line Lexus LX would get this 8 cylinder to compete w/ the Merc G Wagon and others. LC, well it may or may not get it, wasn’t substantive info to speculate on that. Obviously it’s all speculation at this point but the person sharing the info seeme to have some descent knowledge about various possible power trains across the Toyota and Lexus line up. Thoughts?

I know for me, I am literally awaiting Like many are, to find out what is happening. If it’s a 6 cylinder, I will buy a 200 series that day. If it’s still an 8, a newer version of an 8 or a diesel then I’ll wait for a 300.

Last edited:

Onur

16711-58020
GOLD Star

As I always like to say, always look at capital expenditures Toyota makes at their plants— that’s where you can really glean the types of changes coming up in terms of manufacturing.

They are in the process of expanding the Huntsville engine plant to almost triple the number of V6 engines they can manufacture per year.

That’s an indication at a macro level that whatever V6 plans they have are big enough that they will need triple the current V6 engine production capacity....

Follow the money... :)

Towing capacity will not be reduced.
If it tows the same and gets better mpgs maybe I'll wait for a 300 then. Got an 01 LX470 for my off road rig, the 200/300 would be a DD and towing our travel trailer. But if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles I'll just get a 2021 200.

If it tows the same and gets better mpgs maybe I'll wait for a 300 then. Got an 01 LX470 for my off road rig, the 200/300 would be a DD and towing our travel trailer. But if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles I'll just get a 2021 200.
uh, I thought 2020 was it for the 200 Series. If there is a LC for 2021 then it will be the new 300 correct?

bloc

SILVER Star

You seem to think I’m an advocate for a stripped down Land Cruiser. I’m not. I like my leather heated and ventilated seats. I like the heated steering wheel and the coolbox. I like the radar cruise control and wish it worked down to 0 mph. I’d like more autonomous driving aids. I‘m willing to pay the $85k for a new Land Cruiser.

I was just pointing out that you were perhaps exaggerating the price difference between a Tahoe and a Land Cruiser.
I don’t think a stripper cruiser is what you want, but that option somehow quadrupling cruiser sales numbers is a persistent argument in this forum and my belief is it doesn’t hold water. The only reason I’m engaging with you on this is you said “you won’t get a Tahoe for 40k” and that isn’t true. Probably not many, but then don’t speak in absolutes.
The trim level of cruiser these people are asking for competes with those base model 9k-under-MSRP tahoes, so I think they are relevant to the conversation. I believe that stripped cruiser would still cost as much as the optioned up Tahoe’s you are correctly arguing they actually sell many more of.

uh, I thought 2020 was it for the 200 Series. If there is a LC for 2021 then it will be the new 300 correct?
Based on what I've read/heard the LC300 release was pushed right a model year because of COVID. So I fully expected there to be a 2021 model year 200 series. Maybe I'm wrong.

You just can’t compare the two vehicles from the perspective of durability and quality. Hell, how many discos go to the junk yard for every cruiser?

Toyota can’t just wave a wand and cut 20k out of the price without it impacting some level of equipment or production method.
Is called the base trim, just like they used to have before

I don’t think a stripper cruiser is what you want, but that option somehow quadrupling cruiser sales numbers is a persistent argument in this forum and my belief is it doesn’t hold water.
I don’t agree with that argument either.

See like many of you have forgotten or aren't aware that in the 90s and maybe into the 00s the LC's were priced similarly to the LR Discovery, with both starting in the mid/high 40s with well equipped models around low/mid 50s

For whatever reason Toyota decided to WAY upmarket the LC and nuke US sales. Wiki says 18600 LCs were sold in 1999 while only 3100 were sold in 2017.

Today the Discovery STILL starts around $54K and sells 40k-50k units a year. Toyota would sell a bunch of LCs if they went back to pricing it against the Discovery, even if the price was $3k higher than the Discovery.
Is the discovery the same size as the LC? I always though it was a GX sized competitor for some reason (at least currently)

I`d that the LC and LX combo needs to move in the same pattern as the Expedition (52-70ish) and Navigator (76-96) but then the issue exists of where the sequoia fits into all of this.

Top Bottom