Another 300-series rumor thread

Eric Sarjeant

Ed Martin Toyota (Indianapolis)
Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
I think we all are pretty tired of that question. Don’t want to a gossip stirrer, but I have some new info that really makes me confident this vehicle is coming.

1) we all know new model-year Land Cruisers start production in August. That remains unchanged this year for MY2121. However, what is different, is that production ends in May. So why would the have a 9-month production run? If it was discontinued, it would still presumably run its 12-month production run course

2) The all-new Tundra will likely be announced this June at the Detroit Auto Show, slated for Fall/Winter production (2020) This will give a full year jump on LC. Same as 2007 Tundra/2008 LC.

if these clues line up as I think, we will know the power train option(s) in 2-3 months from the Tundra unveiling. As of right now, the rumor is Hybrid AND 5.7 V8.
I doubt LC will her two powertrain option like Tundra did/will again, but if I had to put money on it, it would be the Hybrid for cafe reasons as well as the best platform for a 10-year + model run.

sorry to start another damn 300-series rumor mill, but I thought this to be the most relevant info to date worth sharing.

Sandroad

SILVER Star

Good detective work! Sure seems likely. The Tundra will have to be announced someplace other than the 2020 NAIAS in Detroit this June, however, because that’s been cancelled. Next Detroit auto show is 2021.

Last edited:

Madtiger

SILVER Star
Hybrid......so that means a V6 Atkinson + electric?? If so, then power won't be much more than what we have now...more efficient for sure. Or i wonder if Lexus is pairing a brand new powertrain with a V8 + electric?

This is a shocker...i was sure that Lexus would go V6 + turbo route. How interesting.

I say Toyota should hold out on the 300 Series and bring over the 79 Series instead. IMO the latest LCs are getting more and more luxurious with fancy features and gadgets, these should be left on the Lexus side.

Madtiger

SILVER Star
I say Toyota should hold out on the 300 Series and bring over the 79 Series instead. IMO the latest LCs are getting more and more luxurious with fancy features and gadgets, these should be left on the Lexus side.
But, the LC 200 platform is stronger and more durable than 70 series....

The 70 Series is ancient, It won’t meet crash safety regulations. The Diesel engine won’t meet US emissions regulations. The rear track is narrower than the front, resulting in poor handling in sand unless you do major work on the rear axle. The interior is horrid, as is NVH. Axle articulation is poor.

I think most people who lust after the 70 Series would get over it quickly if they actually drove one. The 70 Series will never come to the US.

The 70 Series is ancient, It won’t meet crash safety regulations. The Diesel engine won’t meet US emissions regulations. The rear track is narrower than the front, resulting in poor handling in sand unless you do major work on the rear axle. The interior is horrid, as is NVH. Axle articulation is poor.

I think most people who lust after the 70 Series would get over it quickly if they actually drove one. The 70 Series will never come to the US.
All true....But a kid can still dream.

I think we all are pretty tired of that question. Don’t want to a gossip stirrer, but I have some new info that really makes me confident this vehicle is coming.

1) we all know new model-year Land Cruisers start production in August. That remains unchanged this year for MY2121. However, what is different, is that production ends in May. So why would the have a 9-month production run? If it was discontinued, it would still presumably run its 12-month production run course

2) The all-new Tundra will likely be announced this June at the Detroit Auto Show, slated for Fall/Winter production (2020) This will give a full year jump on LC. Same as 2007 Tundra/2008 LC.

if these clues line up as I think, we will know the power train option(s) in 2-3 months from the Tundra unveiling. As of right now, the rumor is Hybrid AND 5.7 V8.
I doubt LC will her two powertrain option like Tundra did/will again, but if I had to put money on it, it would be the Hybrid for cafe reasons as well as the best platform for a 10-year + model run.

sorry to start another damn 300-series rumor mill, but I thought this to be the most relevant info to date worth sharing.
If I understand this correctly, you mean that the LC200 will have another production run for MY2021?? if so, is this confirmed OR speculation??

If I understand this correctly, you mean that the LC200 will have another production run for MY2021?? if so, is this confirmed OR speculation??
He is telling us that the 2021 LC will be basically unchanged. That's not news.

The news is that instead of it being a 12 month production run it will be a 9 month production run. Why that run will only be 9 months is informed speculation.

Eric is one of the largest LC dealers in the US. If he's telling us this, I consider it to be "confirmed".

He is telling us that the 2021 LC will be basically unchanged. That's not news.

The news is that instead of it being a 12 month production run it will be a 9 month production run. Why that run will only be 9 months is informed speculation.

Eric is one of the largest LC dealers in the US. If he's telling us this, I consider it to be "confirmed".
gotcha.... i've checked his dealer site out!!! its pretty phenomenal what they do over there..... I wouldn't mind a drive from texas to his place to get one from him given their perceived knowledge base of this platform......

All true....But a kid can still dream.
If you want one, buy and build one. There are a couple of dual-cabs for sale in the 70s classifieds section. Be sure to buy lots of sound deadener and some ibuprofen.

As for the 300;
A hybrid at the end of it's 10 year cycle may about toast.
Keeping a new Land Cruiser for 25+ years sounds like it'll be a thing of the past.

gotcha.... i've checked his dealer site out!!! its pretty phenomenal what they do over there..... I wouldn't mind a drive from texas to his place to get one from him given their perceived knowledge base of this platform......
No need to drive to his dealership. I’m sure he will sell you one and ship it to you.

Madtiger

SILVER Star

Click PLAY...go to time stamp: 41:33

EDIT: confirmed (see page 8 of this thread)...Sadayoshi Koyari (lead engineer for LC) has stated that LC200 is the most durable and strongest LC they have ever made.

Last edited:

Onur

11411-58050
GOLD Star

Click PLAY...go to time stamp: 41:33

I refuse to watch anything having to do with Overlanding/Instagramming/Facebooking/Twittering, etc. and their opinions.

Show me data from Toyota. That's the only data that matters.

Top Bottom