ANOTHER 2H TURBO QUESTION (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Am currently building up my 45 and got an old denco manifold pretty cheap so decided I'd turbo the 2H. I've got a T3 turbo that suits the manifold flange pattern but don't really know much about it except that the turbine housing has a A/R of .48 stamped on it and its an Airesearch/garret turbo....quick search on the net and found that it could be off a Saab 900 and the compressor may have a A/R of .42 (compressor housing not stamped)

Question is - is it going to be too small? Only really chasing 10psi max and is wastegated but worried it may surge or cook itself??

I used a CT26 off a Supra 7 mgte and it's working out great. Only thing would be better is the smaller turbine housing from the diesel version of the CT26 that Toyota put on the diesel trucks. With that said, if you can research the dimensions of the CT26 that Toyota put on the supras in the 80's maybe you can get a concrete answer. I really do not know the dimensions of the turbine and compressor, but I am not the only one using the supra turbo to charge a 2H. Also, I am running a max of 7 psi. It's more than noticeable!
Check my build thread for pics and such of the install.

That seems a little small but not much... IT would be great on a 3b but maybe a little small for a 2h... Could feel restrictive at higher rpm but should make early boost.

To say that is a fairly old design turbo is an understatement. If it's a 45 trim it would hold 10lbs boost to roughly 2500rpm but then it's off the map. If it's a 40 trim then it's off the map by roughly 2000rpm. You could have either one. A more modern stock turbo that is more commonly available and shares a t3 bolt pattern although yould need an adaptor to make the gasket seal would be the td04hl-13t-6 which translates to a 49189-05200 or 05202. Lots of Volvos used them.
Here is an adaptor.

I used a CT26 off a Supra 7 mgte and it's working out great. Only thing would be better is the smaller turbine housing from the diesel version of the CT26 that Toyota put on the diesel trucks. With that said, if you can research the dimensions of the CT26 that Toyota put on the supras in the 80's maybe you can get a concrete answer. I really do not know the dimensions of the turbine and compressor, but I am not the only one using the supra turbo to charge a 2H. Also, I am running a max of 7 psi. It's more than noticeable!
Check my build thread for pics and such of the install.

Yeah CT26 would be good but had hoped to utilise something to suit a T3 flange on the manifold and even better use this turbo I had....

To say that is a fairly old design turbo is an understatement. If it's a 45 trim it would hold 10lbs boost to roughly 2500rpm but then it's off the map. If it's a 40 trim then it's off the map by roughly 2000rpm. You could have either one. A more modern stock turbo that is more commonly available and shares a t3 bolt pattern although yould need an adaptor to make the gasket seal would be the td04hl-13t-6 which translates to a 49189-05200 or 05202. Lots of Volvos used them.
Here is an adaptor.

So Gerg regardless if its a 45 or 40 trim its a bad idea??? TBH I have no idea what 'trim' even refers too so I wouldn't even know how to check it on what I've got.
Had hoped to make use of this turbo :bang:

So I'm not trying to give you out of reach advice on what technically would be the best turbo out there for you. The Volvo turbo is available and affordable and will do what you want it to. It's also very easy to upgrade to other compressors for more performance later. The Saab I believe came with a 40 trim wheel on the 8valve engine and the 45 trim on the 16valve. The 45 trim I'm guessing would be something like 50% effecient at your desired boost at only 2600rpm which is pretty terrible performance. The 40 trim is going to run much hotter than that. Both compressors are poorly suited to your engine. If you bolted it up it would function to some degree but your performance would suffer and your intake air temps would be high.

So I'm not trying to give you out of reach advice on what technically would be the best turbo out there for you. The Volvo turbo is available and affordable and will do what you want it to. It's also very easy to upgrade to other compressors for more performance later. The Saab I believe came with a 40 trim wheel on the 8valve engine and the 45 trim on the 16valve. The 45 trim I'm guessing would be something like 50% effecient at your desired boost at only 2600rpm which is pretty terrible performance. The 40 trim is going to run much hotter than that. Both compressors are poorly suited to your engine. If you bolted it up it would function to some degree but your performance would suffer and your intake air temps would be high.

Thanks Gerg, your advice is much needed! I think ill look into the Volvo turbo and not just use what I've got for the sake of using it. I'm pretty keen to keep air temps and any temps at a minimum really...

@gerg can you share details on the Volvo turbo?

Ask denco which turbo they use. may be worth buying just the turbo from them.
DENCO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom