Annual Ouray Trip Aug 5-9 2015 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We'll be there the nights of Aug. 6/7. Not sure what site #, but Jill said we were confirmed with the HDC group. Way too much fun last year to miss it this year!!

It turns out that these dates conflict with a family visit, so I regret to say I'll miss out this year. I'm looking at the August 8th alternate trip to North Baldy if I can get one of my daughters to come along.

Jessica needs a ride to Ouray, sometimes after 12pm if anyone has an open passenger seat!! Isabelle and I will already be in CO beginning that previous Sunday so she is unable to catch a ride with us. She'll return home with us, just needs a one way ride. Her place of work is at Comanche/I-25 exit, next door to the Budget truck rental place but she'll meet you anywhere that's convenient for you.

Yum - getting ready! Pork rules.

IMG_20150731_071154.jpg
View attachment 1113881

I'm heading up Wednesday with the kiddos, and the wife may meet us up there on Friday. However, since this is the first time getting the girls out camping for a few years, they are interested in going out to dinner in town. So we are going to go the easy route of just simple cooler things, pbj, dry food etc, or eat out. Do we have a rough idea of the trails by day?

Got my yearly head rebuild done so now it's time to pack...6 months of good running vehicle here I come!

I say Engineer one of the days as we didn't have time last year. Could even take Poughkeepsie Gulch and come back Engineer

Thanks, Florida Razer driver...

San Miguel County Sheriff's Office
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Search and Rescue Assists with Rescue of Injured Patient in Black Bear Pass Accident --Sheriff calls for Closure of Pass to Motor Vehicles
Contact: San Miguel County Sheriff Bill Masters 970-729-2025, Reserve PIO Susan Lilly 970-369-8622

August 1, 2015-- (Telluride, CO) – San Miguel County Sheriff Deputies and Search and Rescue personnel assisted in the rescue of a patient injured in a single vehicle accident on Black Bear Pass near Telluride Saturday afternoon.

The amount of resources required for the incident has Sheriff Bill Masters calling for the closure of Black Bear Pass to all motor vehicle traffic. “At this time of year we are seeing hundreds of vehicles traveling on this extremely hazardous terrain. It’s not safe, and it’s not safe for our community when all of our resources are tied up for an incident like this,” Sheriff Masters said.

Sheriff Bill Masters, five Sheriff Deputies, 10 Search and Rescue volunteers and Telluride EMS and Fire personnel participated in the 90 minute rescue operation near the “stairs” of Black Bear Pass Road.

An elderly couple from Polk City, Florida were traveling with their dog in a recreational “off-highway vehicle” from Silverton to Telluride. They told Deputies they decided not to go all the way down Black Bear Road, turned around and tried to go around a large rock in the road. The driver, 70 year-old Timothy Vehnekamp, said the embankment gave out and the vehicle started sliding. Vehnekamp was unable return the vehicle to the road, it continued to slide and flipped 3 or 4 times before stopping, upside-down, an estimated 75 yards down a canyon, with the passengers strapped in their seats.

The driver claimed no injury, but his wife, 70-year old Sue Ellen Vehnekamp suffered what are believed to be non-life-threatening injuries. Telluride EMS was paged at approximately 1300, and it was determined Search and Rescue assistance was needed to reach the patient.

EMS personnel were transported by SAR personnel and equipment to the incident location where the patient was treated, packaged and transported in another recreational vehicle to a Telluride EMS vehicle, which then transported the patient to an awaiting Telluride ambulance.

Black Bear Pass was closed from Silverton to Telluride during the rescue operation with more than 100 vehicles on the Pass. Black Bear Pass was reopened at approximately 1545 after the patient was safely loaded in the ambulance. The patient was taken to the Telluride Medical Center for further evaluation.

Attachments

• SMSO Black Bear Pass .pdf
    184.7 KB · Views: 149
So one person does something dumb and they want to close it? Did any of the other 100 vehicles in line have any issues? Typical knee-jerk reaction. Did they really need to commit 16+ people to this? Sounds like an over reaction (x2).

so whats the convoy situation looking like? North Portal 9amish....

So one person does something dumb and they want to close it? Did any of the other 100 vehicles in line have any issues? Typical knee-jerk reaction. Did they really need to commit 16+ people to this? Sounds like an over reaction (x2).
Interesting. I've heard before that the Telluride area is pretty anti-offroad.

Looks like the rescue was 90 minutes. I'm betting the winter rescues that involve the non motorized ski mountaineers take a lot longer than that and with a lot more risk to the rescuers.

That being said, it has been a lot busier in the last few years. Crowded is the word I would think of when talking about Black Bear. Second crash in 2 years is an increase from the previous years.

G

I'm unable to make the trip. However, I did get a promotion at work! Have fun and try and keep all four on the ground!

:cheers:

Vince

I'm unable to make the trip. However, I did get a promotion at work! Have fun and try and keep all four on the ground!

:cheers:

Vince
Bummer but congrats dude!

I'll be trying o leave around 8-9, but I am going to swing by Vail first to pick up some goodies. I expect to be in Ouray around 7-8. What time do we plan on meeting on Thursday morning for the first run?

The Hundreds In The Hills event was happening this past weekend and one group of trucks from the event was there when this happened. The event organizer, Stan, was instrumental in using HAM radio to get EMS in Telluride alerted to the situation, then drove down Black Bear, picked them up, and then drove back up Black Bear the wrong way to get EMS to them. They rolled their rented Razor on a section above the steps. Basically, they got there, got scared and were trying to turn around to go back when they rolled. For what it's worth, none of the 40+ 100-series trucks that ran Black Bear over the 3-day event had any problems beyond several tires and some sheared off sway-bar links. Trucks ranged from stock to highly modified with 35's. Drivers ranged from people from the east coast who had never seen anything more than mud to very experienced.

We ran up to Clear Lake and then some roads that go up onto/around the west side of the Red Mtns on day 1. Day 2 we drove up Mineral Creek to Animas Forks then down California and Corkscrew Gulch. Day 3 We drove Black Bear and came back on Last Dollar Road. It rained a bunch but we were dry and warm in our pop-up camper. There were a lot of wet and cold people in ground tents and even Roof-Top-Tents. Base camp was Ironton Park.

One note of caution: Bring lots of bug spray. The mosquitoes were horrendous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom