Annual North Baldy run ....August 13th (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

image.jpeg
We had a good time, nice to meet you Chris.
Grant, Neville, Chris and his wife Maude made it out. I am hoping that I'm correct with Maude?
Overall we had 14 rigs and other than my 16yo daughter depending on the parking brake to hold her jeep from rolling on the trail there was no damage.

Last edited:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Thanks to all for a fascinating ride today.

From the preparation at the bottom:

full

full

full

full

full

Great Pics. I'll see if I can't post some up tomorrow. Great to meet everyone and super happy we had a safe day!

Lunch at the peak:

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

On the trail:

full

full

full

full

Descending, with the storm approaching in the distance:

full

Thanks for a fun day in the hills, T!
Some picson flickr, mostly of my junk - 8.13.16 North Baldy

groupresize.jpg

resizelean.jpg

Looks like a great day out on the trail. Bummer I missed it.

I think we benefited from a certain amount of luck on that horizontal section near the top.

At the critical point my Land Cruiser's rear end started to rotate anticlockwise and slide away down the slope. If I hadn't stepped carefully on the gas, had a locked center differential and also a fairly new set of Duratracs, Oscar and would have gone backwards over the edge. Given that by the time I hit the gas we were at an angle to the trail's direction, if I had overcooked that maneuver we would have bounced off the left side of the track (sharply angled, as you can see in Dumpolina's photo above), and gone forward over the edge to our right.

Consider also that the young man directly in front of me, in the red Jeep, went across that stretch with open differentials and worn tires.

I remember that one section of shale shelf from a few years ago...

I think we benefited from a certain amount of luck on that horizontal section near the top.

At the critical point my Land Cruiser's rear end started to rotate anticlockwise and slide away down the slope. If I hadn't stepped carefully on the gas, had a locked center differential and also a fairly new set of Duratracs, Oscar and would have gone backwards over the edge. Given that by the time I hit the gas we were at an angle to the trail's direction, if I had overcooked that maneuver we would have bounced off the left side of the track (sharply angled, as you can see in Dumpolina's photo above), and gone forward over the edge to our right.

Consider also that the young man directly in front of me, in the red Jeep, went across that stretch with open differentials and worn tires.

sounds like a nail biter, wow!

Sorta interesting, T's trip up to Baldy July 2014 vs last weekend

Now
zigzagresize.jpg

Then
7.19.14 shelf.jpg

Now again
8.13.16 saddle.jpg

Then again
7.19.14 saddle.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back