Annual Ham Radio Swap Meet (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have to say I find this new fascination with 2M radios a little disappointing because I think it will discourage new people from getting involved in wheeling: "Welcome to our club. Not only will you need to get a lift and new tires and a bunch of other expensive stuff but if you want to communicate on the trail you have to go shell out hundreds more for a radio. And take a test."

I also think it is devisive among the current wheeling group. I personally don't have the time, money, or interest for something I likely would only use a handful of times a year, if that. I'm willing to bet others are in the same boat. Are people without a ham unit going to be discouraged from taking part in runs because they're incommunicado?

I can see the value of having one or two units when a group goes out to communicate with the "outside world" in an emergency or to communicate with another group elsewhere, but for 95% of what we (at least I) do a CB is a perfectly adequate, inexpensive option.

Just my .02

Don't worry Greg, we'll grandfather you in after we change the bylaws making a 2M rig a requirement.

:rolleyes:

Is it OK with you if we talk about coil springs, overhead cams, and fuel injection? You don't have any of those but we still like to talk about different aspects of the hobby.

-Mike-

I'm with Greg on this one. While I see the value of having 2M on a run, especially on lead and gun, for general use I can't justify the time and $ for the majority of us.

You two are a little controlling aren't you? Kind of want to keep the group under your wings or something? Tell you what. How about if you let everybody else who is not your dependent make up their own mind. We'll just keep you two in the middle of the pack, safe and sound.

You can be our honorary Luddites.

You two are a little controlling aren't you? Kind of want to keep the group under your wings or something? Tell you what. How about if you let everybody else who is not your dependent make up their own mind. We'll just keep you two in the middle of the pack, safe and sound.

You can be our honorary Luddites.

10-4, works for me.

Uh...what the hell are we talking about?

I ate some ham yesterday and I thought the company name was 3M not 2M....

Oh, I have a CB now....(thanks Mike)....

How much money for the new toys? We should have a small fund for those of us who want the new toys but whom are slightly, *ahem* underfunded...

:D :grinpimp: :flipoff2:

Oh, I have a CB now....(thanks Mike)....

You're welcome. Did you get a chance to use it when you and Graham went to the Puerco?

-Mike-

The choice of radio format is the ONE SINGLE item in our little hobby that everyone has to collectively agree on for the whole thing to work. Given that fact, the easiest, simplest, cheapest option allows the most people to enjoy it's benefit.

You two are a little controlling aren't you?

At a recent meeting I overheard someone (don't know who) state that "we'll all be switching to 2M soon" so apparently there's another "controlling" entity in our midst.

The choice of radio format is the ONE SINGLE item in our little hobby that everyone has to collectively agree on for the whole thing to work. Given that fact, the easiest, simplest, cheapest option allows the most people to enjoy it's benefit.

Nobody is disagreeing with this, Greg. CB is the radio of choice for High Desert Cruisers and, as I've recently stated right here in this forum, it will take time for this to change. However, many people in the hobby feel that this change is inevitable. Some clubs/groups have adopted FRS/GMRS radios as their "radio of choice." Frankly, 2 cans and a piece of string would be more effective than those FRS radios. We used them effectively at Summer Camp but they don't cut it inside vehicles and on the road.

There has been at least 1 recent article in TT regarding the new trend; Mark Watley is a proponent for use on their ACT outings in Alaska; many Rising Sun members are beginning to adopt the better radios available to amateur operators; and the NorCal Wagons group has been experimenting and using these radios for their expedition runs. Jim Brantley (Surf 'n Turf) has joined the ranks of amateur operators using these radios in trail rigs. These discussions aren't started by just Steve, me, and Ali.

I have to say I find this new fascination with 2M radios a little disappointing because I think it will discourage new people from getting involved in wheeling:

As long as these discussions/fascinations involve the off-road hobby or our Toyota club or our outings or any other somewhat related topic then why are you "disappointed"? That would be like someone being disappointed when you or Shawn start talking about Chevy V8s and then saying this would discourage new members because they might think they have to put a Chevy engine in their Toyota. Absurd.

Over the years there have been many GPS discussions. Many of you have posted GPS tracks, have topo software, laptops, and fancy GPS receivers. Do those of us that are "GPS challenged" have a right to shut down discussions claiming "someone might assume they have to have a GPS system before they can join our little club." Absurd.

-Mike-

Last edited:
Nobody's saying we're not using CB's anymore - Everybody I've talked to will keep their CB's as well. But if you're "out there" and get stuck beyond getting out yourself, you might want to be able to communicate with somebody. They're getting cheaper all the time. I think you can get new 2m stuff, complete, for a couple hundred bucks. Next weekend at Del Norte that might be only $100.

I don't want to discourage anybody from increasing their communicability.

I'm a cheap when it comes to the "luxuries" inside of my cruiser....the thing is a piece of crap anyway.

That said, I'm interested in the HAM/2M yibber yabber stuff. I'll wait till one of you upgrade and want to unload the first unit ya got!

True cruiser hand-me-down style that I love so much!

Last edited:
Beno -

Why limit yourself to Cruiser owners? You can get a peek at all of Albuquerque's hand-me-downs next Saturday...

Mike,

Granted you said on this forum the transition from CB would take time, but stuff I've heard at meetings from at least a few people have discouraged the purchase of a CB because, again "we're all soon moving to 2M". I take that at face value.

The Whatley reference isn't relevent for us because there's almost nowhere we go where a cell signal isn't possible - 911 gets attention and help a lot faster than shouting over a radio into empty airwaves.

And the GPS analogy is REALLY not relevent (absurd actually, to use your term) because as I said earlier the choice of communication has to be a group choice to work - you can have a $2000 GPS or no GPS and it doesn't impact anyone but you.

If someone wants to get a ham for thier own uses then fine but I'm not ready to make that jump for club use and I think I'm not alone.

At a recent meeting I overheard someone (don't know who) state that "we'll all be switching to 2M soon" so apparently there's another "controlling" entity in our midst.

Mike, Granted you said on this forum the transition from CB would take time, but stuff I've heard at meetings from at least a few people have discouraged the purchase of a CB because, again "we're all soon moving to 2M".

Another great HDC conspiracy theory working away in your head Greg. Don't all those voices get on your nerves? ;)

I can assure you that, if in fact you heard what you think you heard, then it was tongue-in-cheek. I recall some joking around about a lot of things, including drive times (my personal favorite), boxing, wrenching abilities, head gaskets, spending money on trucks, and about 100 other things that most of the members poke fun at. Why you chose this topic to get your panties in bunch, I'll never understand.

Relax Greg, nobody is going to make you buy anything that you don't want to buy. Nobody is going to make you take a radio proficiency test that you don't want to take. I will promise you these 2 things Greg.

... and the last time we were in the Puerco, you tried for an hour to get a cell phone signal to call Janet and let her know you were running late. Never did get a signal as I recall. I can't get a cell phone signal in the Jemez or just about anywhere off the beaten path but I've got Sprint and they're not known for a wide coverage area...

-Mike-

Last edited:
I'm a cheap bitch when it comes to the "luxuries" inside of my cruiser....

I've seen the inside of your rig Onur. A passenger seat is a luxury in that thing. :D

-Mike-

How many times do we have to say it Greg. If you don't want something beyond a CB, that's totally up to you.

For everybody else, there are a lot of places in NM where there is no cellphone coverage - Cellphone coverage is concentrated on pavement alignments, not wilderness areas. Cell towers are placed to maximize the number of people that can use them - the opposite of where we go. Also, there are repeaters on mountaintops and amateur radio operators, by their nature, monitor those. So don't think it's a "waste of money".

I would think any positive thinking individual would welcome any additional 2m operators on a run or runs, both for safety and basic communication's sake.

They're the electronic equivalent of a winch.

I've seen the inside of your rig Onur. A passenger seat is a luxury in that thing. :D

-Mike-

Sure as poop Mike! That said, the passenger seat is leather and it does have cool electronic controls.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom