Annual Christmas Tree Run: Black Friday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We’re going to go get our Christmas tree this Friday. We drive around, tromp in the snow, cut down a tree and let the kids sled a bit (if we find a good spot). @nohermosa has suggested a new method for falling a tree we might try.

Permits are about $5 iirc and you can get them at ACE hardware and other spots around town.

We Have gone to Ferry lake the past two years but the trees were a little more sparse last year so I’d like to try another spot if anyone has a suggestion. Something close-ish to Bozeman?

How about a casual 10am departure from a spot in town that makes sense for where ever we plan to go?

Anybody care to join?

99B8884E-0FF0-4E83-97D6-276BCFA30A37.jpeg

Tree permits are not being sold at shops this year because of reasons. Instead, you need to purchase online and they are $2.50/tree. Go to www.recreation.gov/tree-permits to get your permit. You will need to create an account to be able to check out.

Update:

leaving from Costco at 10am and gonna try the east side of Flathead pass.

I’m bringing kiddos, lunch and an adventurous attitude. Tree permits are free at the Forrest Ranger District off huffinenear ACE hardware. Or they’re $2.50/tree with the link above. Thanks for the info @pigmony.

Feel free to come, so far we’ve got 2 newbs (my friends) and @adventurefamly and possibly @thetoyotaman fam.

HAM 146.460

Well, the 470 decided to break down tonight so you guys have a great time! Happy tree hunting and Merry Christmas!

The other day I noticed that some lugnuts backed out on the rear wheel and one broke. I knew I needed to get this fixed before I went anywhere especially off pavement. I attribute that to a faulty torque wrench that died of mine. So one of the wheel studs had broken off and I thought it would be a simple change today but as I got into it I discovered some other messed up threads and that one of the parking brake shoe hold down pins had bent and the retainer kept popping off when I straightened it out. After further investigation the retainer piece was damaged. Looks like I need to check out the other side as well. Most things I seem to have go wrong on the 470 are previous repairs. I’m glad that parking brake didn’t come apart inside the disc though that would have been a lot worse.

The other day I noticed that some lugnuts backed out on the rear wheel and one broke. I knew I needed to get this fixed before I went anywhere especially off pavement. I attribute that to a faulty torque wrench that died of mine. So one of the wheel studs had broken off and I thought it would be a simple change today but as I got into it I discovered some other messed up threads and that one of the parking brake shoe hold down pins had bent and the retainer kept popping off when I straightened it out. After further investigation the retainer piece was damaged. Looks like I need to check out the other side as well. Most things I seem to have go wrong on the 470 are previous repairs. I’m glad that parking brake didn’t come apart inside the disc though that would have been a lot worse.

Sorry to heat that. I have replaced about a 1/2 dozen wheel studs on my 100. I think they are weak or something. Glad you caught it when you did. A serpentine belt, a coil, and wheel studs are about the only spares I carry on the 100.

We had a good time, trees were chopped, hot chocolate was enjoyed and sleds were put to good use. Another family memory in the books.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom