annoying things after 7mos and 3500miles on my 21HE (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@21200 I'm surprised to hear the pedal commander improved it that much. I bought one for an '18 Tacoma and didn't think it helped much at all, just made the throttle super jumpy. I tried it on a bunch of different settings but never was happy with it so I sold it. The tacoma can't figure out what gear it wants to be in though, maybe different on a 200.

I'm still laughing at the short list of things on your 200 that annoy you. I'm annoyed by so many things on this rig, but I love it, and I'll put up with it. A few things:

160mph speedo??? A 100mph would have been more than sufficient, and the marks and numbers could have been much bigger, and it would have matched the spacing on the tach. There is a digital speedo presentation if you really are going to exceed 100mph. My speed is off 'till I get bigger tires, so I use my cellphone anyway.

Mostly useless Bluetooth and nav. I use my cellphone.

Hidden charge pad, so I have to hide my cellphone while driving, when I really need my cellphone because the nav is carp. Thank you ProClipUSA for fixing what Toyota couldn't get right.

Windshield wiper heater is buried in the menus. When my car is snow/ice covered and i need it, I start the car and wait for the splash screen and lawyer screen, and wait, and wait, with the door open, getting snow on me and in the car, waiting to start brushing off snow. The ability to melt the ice gripping the wipers to the windshield is great but... have no LC engineers ever driven in snow??

Fine layer of slush shuts down the radar and therefore the cruise control, flashing all sorts of warnings on the dash. Any time you drive on snowy freeway, you have to stop occasionally and clean the grill emblem.

No room for front tire chains?? Or big tires??

Same pinch weld at the bottom of the rear hatch that rusted on three previous LC, and was unfixable needing a new upper hatch.

Easily removeable third row would make life with the LC better.

Security cover for cargo area would make life with the LC better. Maybe available on the HE without third row?

Sleek, unfindable light buttons on overhead. Buttons you need in the dark should be tactile.

Tiny fuel tank.

Valley in hood holds snow/slush/rain so when you brake it flies forward into the airstream and onto the windshield.

I'm not really looking for things, but some things just stand out as unnecessary annoyances that Toyo should really have fixed.

@21200 I'm surprised to hear the pedal commander improved it that much. I bought one for an '18 Tacoma and didn't think it helped much at all, just made the throttle super jumpy. I tried it on a bunch of different settings but never was happy with it so I sold it. The tacoma can't figure out what gear it wants to be in though, maybe different on a 200.
I think the difference is the LC has plenty of power to drive responsively, but requires a large amount of pedal travel to get up and go. The 5.7 in a towing spec'd tundra is extremely lively and fast off the line. The land cruiser can be too if you wake up the engine with a retune of the pedal travel/throttle ratio.

The Tacoma's are boderline underpowered... needing 3k plus rpm to generate any torque. It will not create power where this isnt enough, but it will help you use the power that is in the 5.7 without feeling like you are flooring it from every stop.

What what? Is that a problem with 200 as well? How is the water getting there? 3rd brake light as well?
It just looks like the same construction to me, Michigan salt will find any weakness.

The water pooling on the hood and then splooshing all over the windshield as you slow down is kind of entertaining to me but it is a weird design flaw. I am willing to accept it because I love the look/design and it carried over to the 300 so it isn't going anywhere anytime soon lol.

Toyota doesn’t design land cruisers for the USA market. It’s a World platform that
demands design with many markets in mind. The USA is an after thought And has been for sometime. We were fortunate to get the land cruiser for as long as we did.

I don't even have that in my RAM 3500, it has only 28 gallons which I think is a little light. That said, it gets 18-22 mpg on 37's and there are quite a few options of aux tanks on the market so expanding that capacity is relatively easily and they are a lot cheaper than doing so with these 200's.

Last edited:
I think the difference is the LC has plenty of power to drive responsively, but requires a large amount of pedal travel to get up and go. The 5.7 in a towing spec'd tundra is extremely lively and fast off the line. The land cruiser can be too if you wake up the engine with a retune of the pedal travel/throttle ratio.

The Tacoma's are boderline underpowered... needing 3k plus rpm to generate any torque. It will not create power where this isnt enough, but it will help you use the power that is in the 5.7 without feeling like you are flooring it from every stop.
I think the difference in pedal feel between the Tundra and LC200 is due to the intended use. The Tundra was designed as a work truck and commuter car that can tow. The LC200 was designed to drive on nasty roads / non roads worldwide. Having a ‘lively’ pedal response on corrugated / broken / uneven or offroad is not only annoying but potentially dangerous. Having driven such cars on these bad roads really highlights the design decisions.

I don't even have that in my RAM 3500, it has only 28 gallons which I think is a little light. That said, it gets 18-22 mpg on 37's and there are quite a few options of aux tanks on the market so expanding that capacity is relatively easily and they are a lot cheaper than doing so with these 200's.
Thought about it and didn’t like the idea of getting rear ended and bursting into flames. 😆

It just looks like the same construction to me, Michigan salt will find any weakness.
Step 1. Move out of Michigan like everyone else. (I grew up in Frankenmuth)
Step 2.???
Step 3. Profit

Step 1. Move out of Michigan like everyone else. (I grew up in Frankenmuth)
Step 2.???
Step 3. Profit
Tough time of year to think about moving away from west coast of Michigan. Just back from a hike through the dunes to swim with my dog in Lake Michigan. I've been everywhere man, still come back happy to here.

I think I'll still be able to escape from zombies with a rusted rear hatch. Although I can just wait for winter and break their arms and legs off.

I'm still laughing at the short list of things on your 200 that annoy you. I'm annoyed by so many things on this rig, but I love it, and I'll put up with it. A few things:

160mph speedo??? A 100mph would have been more than sufficient, and the marks and numbers could have been much bigger, and it would have matched the spacing on the tach. There is a digital speedo presentation if you really are going to exceed 100mph. My speed is off 'till I get bigger tires, so I use my cellphone anyway.

Mostly useless Bluetooth and nav. I use my cellphone.

Hidden charge pad, so I have to hide my cellphone while driving, when I really need my cellphone because the nav is carp. Thank you ProClipUSA for fixing what Toyota couldn't get right.

Windshield wiper heater is buried in the menus. When my car is snow/ice covered and i need it, I start the car and wait for the splash screen and lawyer screen, and wait, and wait, with the door open, getting snow on me and in the car, waiting to start brushing off snow. The ability to melt the ice gripping the wipers to the windshield is great but... have no LC engineers ever driven in snow??

Fine layer of slush shuts down the radar and therefore the cruise control, flashing all sorts of warnings on the dash. Any time you drive on snowy freeway, you have to stop occasionally and clean the grill emblem.

No room for front tire chains?? Or big tires??

Same pinch weld at the bottom of the rear hatch that rusted on three previous LC, and was unfixable needing a new upper hatch.

Easily removeable third row would make life with the LC better.

Security cover for cargo area would make life with the LC better. Maybe available on the HE without third row?

Sleek, unfindable light buttons on overhead. Buttons you need in the dark should be tactile.

Tiny fuel tank.

Valley in hood holds snow/slush/rain so when you brake it flies forward into the airstream and onto the windshield.

I'm not really looking for things, but some things just stand out as unnecessary annoyances that Toyo should really have fixed.

I have a 2014 but would add a few things I find annoying as well:

1. Why do the cupholders suck? Do they have a special meeting every time they do a LC redesign where somebody says "don't forget, the cupholders have to suck. It's a Land Cruiser requirement!"

2. The wooden steering wheel is dumb. Would be much, much better with just a leather (or even rubberized) steering wheel.

3. The top compartment of the armrest/refrigerator is absurd. What are you supposed to keep there? A hanky?

Tough time of year to think about moving away from west coast of Michigan. Just back from a hike through the dunes to swim with my dog in Lake Michigan. I've been everywhere man, still come back happy to here.

I think I'll still be able to escape from zombies with a rusted rear hatch. Although I can just wait for winter and break their arms and legs off.
Amen to that. Ive spent a big chunk of this summer fly fishing throughout upper and lower Michigan. Heading back to Seattle in the next few weeks to catch fall back home.

First world problems. You’re driving a truck designed for pretty much every country on the planet except the USA. It‘s a SUV icon with many quirks.

2. The wooden steering wheel is dumb. Would be much, much better with just a leather (or even rubberized) steering wheel.
My daily has a all leather steering wheel and, while nice and luxurious, it’s a pain to keep it clean. Between the humidity, sweat, sun screen, and alcohol wipes it gets grimy quick.

The water pooling on the hood and then splooshing all over the windshield as you slow down is kind of entertaining to me but it is a weird design flaw. I am willing to accept it because I love the look/design and it carried over to the 300 so it isn't going anywhere anytime soon lol.
Not even a very new design element either.

IMG_5178.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom