1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Angry Power Steering Pump

Discussion in '100-Series Cruisers' started by RotorHead04, Feb 13, 2018.

1. RotorHead04

RotorHead04

I believe my power steering pump is nearing the end of its life. The past few days I noticed when I crank the LC up the pump immediately starts growling from under the hood. Its noticeably loud at first, gets slightly quieter as it warms up but never fully goes silent.

The reservoir is full, but fluid does look old and in need of flushing. I don't believe a simple flush is going to silence the pump. The truck is creeping up on 220k so I can't complain if its time for a new pump.

That being said..... Who's everyones favorite supplier for pumps? Local auto parts store, Amazon, OEM?? Does anyone make a rebuild kit? Has anyone rebuilt their pump? It is even worth rebuilding with time and kit cost vs a replacement pump?

What do you recommend for new fluid? I did some reading on here and it seems these trucks don't call for power steering fluid but rather AFT in the steering system? Is this correct?

Thanks!

2. 100ownernow

100ownernow

Media:
    Mine is at 215k and the pump is pretty noisy at startup. Once warm, it’s ok. However, hoses are “wet” and I’m sure it’s the start of some replacement activities....

3. Somebodyelse5

Somebodyelse5

Media:
    sub'd... also curious...

4. pjess50

pjess50

I have a 1998 LC with 178k miles that had obvious power steering pump noise. The fluid was pretty dark. I had the fluid flushed yesterday and it is whisper quiet now...maybe a good flush will make a difference.

5. Spike555

Spike555

The pump is making noise when cold because the fluid is to thick, iot is full of contamination.
    Before buying a new pump I'd flush the system, it's a lot easier than replacing the pump and if it doesn't help you're only out $20 and 30min of your time.

6. TheForger

TheForger

I am having possible symptoms of a worn out brake booster, master cylinder, or both nearing the end of its (their) life in the not so distant future. When I brake coming down my steep driveway I start hearing kind of a chirping noise. The harder I apply the brakes to come to a stop, the louder the chirping gets until I come to a complete stop and put it in park. It’s coming from that region so that’s what makes me think it’s one of those if not all. 201k miles here.

7. white_lx

white_lx

Start with 2001LC's flush: Steering Flush & Cleaning Like 2001LC, I use Mobil 1 ATF (no longer available in Canada, but I have collected a stash). Nice and smooth.

If your pump is really worn and squealing, you could try Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. I had pretty good luck with that on a tired very noisy pump.

8. LXFAM

LXFAM

I am at 220k, the pump was a bit noisy and had a slow power steering leak from the return line. Replaced the line, added new Mobil 1 ATF and its quiet now. Would highly recommend a fluid flush first!
    Having the leak forced me to constantly add new fluid before I addressed it... Guess that was a plus.