Angry Power Steering Pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I believe my power steering pump is nearing the end of its life. The past few days I noticed when I crank the LC up the pump immediately starts growling from under the hood. Its noticeably loud at first, gets slightly quieter as it warms up but never fully goes silent.

The reservoir is full, but fluid does look old and in need of flushing. I don't believe a simple flush is going to silence the pump. The truck is creeping up on 220k so I can't complain if its time for a new pump.

That being said..... Who's everyones favorite supplier for pumps? Local auto parts store, Amazon, OEM?? Does anyone make a rebuild kit? Has anyone rebuilt their pump? It is even worth rebuilding with time and kit cost vs a replacement pump?

What do you recommend for new fluid? I did some reading on here and it seems these trucks don't call for power steering fluid but rather AFT in the steering system? Is this correct?

Thanks!

Mine is at 215k and the pump is pretty noisy at startup. Once warm, it’s ok. However, hoses are “wet” and I’m sure it’s the start of some replacement activities....

I have a 1998 LC with 178k miles that had obvious power steering pump noise. The fluid was pretty dark. I had the fluid flushed yesterday and it is whisper quiet now...maybe a good flush will make a difference.

The pump is making noise when cold because the fluid is to thick, iot is full of contamination.
Before buying a new pump I'd flush the system, it's a lot easier than replacing the pump and if it doesn't help you're only out $20 and 30min of your time.

I am having possible symptoms of a worn out brake booster, master cylinder, or both nearing the end of its (their) life in the not so distant future. When I brake coming down my steep driveway I start hearing kind of a chirping noise. The harder I apply the brakes to come to a stop, the louder the chirping gets until I come to a complete stop and put it in park. It’s coming from that region so that’s what makes me think it’s one of those if not all. 201k miles here.

Start with 2001LC's flush: Steering Flush & Cleaning Like 2001LC, I use Mobil 1 ATF (no longer available in Canada, but I have collected a stash). Nice and smooth.

If your pump is really worn and squealing, you could try Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. I had pretty good luck with that on a tired very noisy pump.

I am at 220k, the pump was a bit noisy and had a slow power steering leak from the return line. Replaced the line, added new Mobil 1 ATF and its quiet now. Would highly recommend a fluid flush first!
Having the leak forced me to constantly add new fluid before I addressed it... Guess that was a plus.

sub'd. my 160k 2000 LC started making noise at parking lot speed while turning.

Mine started making noise at startup during the winter, I flushed the fluid and cleaned up the mesh screen, it was like a completely new pump, not a single beep out of it after that.
if your mesh screen is clogged, heavier fluid (age+contaminants+temperature) won't go thru it and will starve the pump. Try that before putting out money for a new pump.
I tried Lucas before, it makes the fluid even thicker.
I'm running Valvoline Synthetic ATF

Hey guys, I've been battling this as well. In late fall I pulled the reservoir and gave it a good soaking in a 5g bucket of simple green and cleaned up all the lines because they were "always wet" as stated above (some 1.5" hose clamps fixed this). I put it all back together and added fluid, turned the wheel left then right, left then right while on jack stands, shut it down, then used a skinny turkey baster I got at autozone to remove as much ATF from the reservoir as i could, topped it back off and repeated the left and right thing. I did this about 3 or 4 times until the fluid in the res was nice and bright red with no leftover dirty tinge.

Now however, over winter, I started hearing a really noticeable groan/moaning sound when sitting in the driver's seat. I've popped the hood and stuck my head under it when it was running, but its barely noticeable to the point where I can't even get an idea as to where its coming from. Back in the driver's seat, its really bad on startup when cold out and when sitting idle in D at a stop light, but on warmer days or after driving for a while, it seems to go away...

Is this similar to what all of you guys are hearing?

Mine was a whining noise coming out at the pump. Though when starting up the truck, especially in the cold, sometimes I hear a hissing coming out of the brake booster, building up pressure I assume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom