...and Yet Another Birf%#^@ Job! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, to begin the story let me briefly tell you the status of the LC. I bought this beautiful unlocked 94 with 180k on the clock, as it came with a healthy stack of service records and being a one owner soccer mom's wagon I made the deal regardless of lockers.

After reading an extensive amount of post drawing to the birf topic, I made up my mind and tackled the situation as soon as the parts arrived from MAF.

Knuckle housing grease-cake and bearing play hasten my actions into a birf job. Instead of going into a long page story of a back-breaking 20hrs of my life I realize the following:

1. AVOID MAF inner axle seals. Toyota is the way to go.

2. Have a proper seal tool.

3. Two people is better for the job.

4. 2 boxes of gloves.

5. Plenty of time and patience.

6. Locate a massage parlor nearby. :hmm: Those of you in So. Cali knows what I mean.

Anyway my seals have failed only 4000 miles later. Soup in both knuckles and differential. What I don't understand is why does the grease sip under the spindle all the way to the outer 54mm nut?
This happened even when grease was thick and new and only on my driver side.

I need to replace the inner seals, Toyota this time, plus a repack of knuckle moly grease, bearings and gasket set. "CDan are you out there? I need a set."

What sucks most is I went on a week long hunt for grease, auto part store guys thought I was some weirdo staring at the grease section for an hour. Finally found Chevron Moly Max 5% and M1 syn for bearings.

At least this time I will have no hesitation tackling the job again!

Good luck and happy riding:cheers:

LSK

When you get the spindles and Birfields out and cleaned up, check the fit of the brass bushing when you slide the shaft portion of the Birfield into it. If that bushing is badly worn, then the axle shaft can wobble in the housing and prematurely fail the inner tube seal.

What I don't understand is why does the grease sip under the spindle all the way to the outer 54mm nut?
This happened even when grease was thick and new and only on my driver side.

LSK

Isn't this supposed to happen? I thought that was why the grooves where cut into the bushing, to lube the inner spindle/axle?

That sucks man. mkfour and I DO understand the need for the massage parlor afterwards tho...especially if you aren't doing the job on a lift!!!

On the bright side - you should be able to do the job in substantially less than 20 hours this time. :D

1. AVOID MAF inner axle seals. Toyota is the way to go.

2. Have a proper seal tool.

3. Two people is better for the job.

4. 2 boxes of gloves.

5. Plenty of time and patience.

6. Locate a massage parlor nearby. :hmm: Those of you in So. Cali knows what I mean.

1. Truth... Also stay away from Napa seals!

2. This will make things faster. I bought a puller but I still install them with the tap-tap spin method!

3. Only if they are somewhat mechanically inclined... That was the reason for my 3rd seal replacement.

4. After 7 times in 6 months, I don't even use gloves anymore!

5. It's amazing how fast you get with practice!

6. Boo you whore! :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom