And...............the daughter

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by fj40crusher, Jun 16, 2005.

1. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

:princess: failed the 8th grade!

:whoops:

2. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I feel for ya. My son did his best to do the same thing last year. Daughter pulled 7th grade out of her ass this year and did OK in the end.

My boy better figure it out or he's gonna have 6 trucks in the driveway and not be able to drive any of them.

3. freightdog

freightdog

The daughter / the parents / and the teacher failed 8th grade!

I get so sick and tired of parents whining!

You have a responsibilty to your daughter - not flaming you - just get tired of the blame being foisted on the child!

Where have you been the last 180 days?

No offense - just an old teacher that gets tired of the burden of proof!

4. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

He's been trying to get her to act her age and be responsible. Apparently you haven't read his threads about his ongoing trials and tribulations w/ said daughter...

5. freightdog

freightdog

Ahhhhhhhh

My bad -

then let's blame the teacher!

Sorry dude!

Did not read the other threads....

6. Fly Rod

Fly Rod

I don't want to think about this Sheit, I have twins on the way!

Fly Rod

7. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    I didn't know they actually failed kids anymore, I just figured everybody got rubber stamped into the next grade?

Maybe she'll feel some sense of shame on her part and get her act together next year? You can hope. At some point the consequences for actions thing has to click.

8. fj40crusher

fj40crusher

Not blaming the teacher, not blaming myself either. We told her repeatedly that she needs to get her work completed or she is going to fail. Well, she didn't believe us. She blew off her work, got sassy with her teachers, got herself suspended a couple times, multiple demerets and detentions. She is choosing to live her life this way. She is going to live with the consequences of her actions.

She is not going to summer school, we are not bailing her out anymore. She thinks the world owes her something. Reality hit very hard today.

The old saying, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink". We have guided her and given her advice until we were blue in the face. She thinks she knows it all.

Unfortunate she is going to learn this way, I can only imagine this is going to be hard on her. It's her bed, she made it and now she is going to lay in it.

We tried, the teachers tried and her friends tried. She didn't. If she had actually applied herself and had a bad year we would feel a little different about the whole situation.

9. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

Sounds like she enjoyed the 8th grade so much that the wants to go through it again :D

Seriously...sorry to hear that. Maybe this'll wake her up a bit.

10. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    Sucks to hear, esp after reading about things in the last post. Hang in there :beer:

11. freightdog

freightdog

Damn you are a good parent -

wish I had been following this from the start -

I see very few parents take an in depth interest in their childs education -

Way to be !

Stand firm now - she will thank you later!

I stand corrected...

Sorry -

Jeff

12. crushers

crushers post ho

iwould hate to be a teacher in todays world. you get blamed for a student failing and yet there is no enforcement of homework by the parents and some kids are just lazy.
    true i am sure there are some bad teachers but you can not put the blame totally on them. there are some bad parents but not all are to blame. if a kid wants to learn they will look for extra help either by asking the teacher (where most classes are WAY TOO BIG), asking the parents or asking the bright ones in class for help. personally i blame the kids. they get sidetracked way too easy.
    done being a parent of a student and glad of it...

13. crushers

crushers post ho

bad associations? kids she hangs out with doing good? let's see 14 years old, going through hormone changes, interested in guys, wants to fit in...
    yep you got your hands full

14. Jman

Jman

LOL, that was funny. :D

She failed? Well, that sort of sucks for everyone, doesn't it? :frown: I can't comprehend that--no one in my junior high got "left back," although some did drop out after that. Hmmm, maybe they did get left back, just didn't tell anyone and didn't go back to school? :confused: Okay, get prepared for the whole "I'm not going back" discussion then. :rolleyes:

Good luck.

15. White Shark

White Shark

Media:
    Albums:
    My biggest problem is with parents who have a "Not my kid" attitude. The richer and more afluent, the more likely this occurs. I see it happen all the time. They will do anything to save face. My Dad made it very clear to me as a kid that if I screwed up and got a girl pregnant, he'd set me up with an apartment, 3 months rent, and then I'd be on my own as he was done raising kids with my bother, sister and I, and wouldn't be raising any grandkids. Needless to say, messing around and potentially getting a girl pregnant wasn't even an option to me.

I'm glad to see that you are trying to deal with the problem at the core of the issue, your daughter. She is obviously been accepted into the School of Hard Knocks, and is pursuing an advanced degree. Don't ever feel bad that you are holding her accountable now, as it will pay off when she's older. Now is the time to learn from tough lessons, before her marriage is ruined and her children are neglected.

Hang in there. We're all pulling for you.

16. calamaridog

calamaridog

So what type of punishment does she now suffer for failing the 8th grade?

17. elum

elum

never too late to change... hopefully she'll see the light. sometimes it's the brightest kids that "get the worst grades"... whether they just don't feel like doing the work or it doesn't challenge them.. i'm sure she could use a heart to heart and a father to let her know it will be okay--BUT ONLY IF SHE WANTS IT TO BE AND MAKES A CHANGE FOR THE BETTER...

18. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:
    Fast foward to a 19 year old and you have my oldest daughter. I've been down this very same road and it doesn't seem to get better. Mine just moved out and honestly I don't miss the lying or deceitfullness. She failed all her college classes and hasn't paid her car insurance in months. She now lives with a house full of others that will enable her way of thinking, so I wish you the best and let me know if you figure it out.

19. LabRat11

LabRat11

I'm there with you. We went down that road with our self consumed :princess: .

At first we let her stay but charged her rent. Made it absolutely clear that this is the last chance. Had her sign a rental agreement. Told her if she falls behind in the rent - we'd evict her and made it clear that we had the legal right to do so. Of course she didn't believe us - and a few months later having never seen a penny of rent we kicked her out.

It's the hardest thing in the world to do - however, there comes a point where you have to say 'get out' and then leave her to fend for herself. It's amazing how attitudes change when they start to realize how good they had it and now it's all gone and they have to get off their lazy a$$ and find a job. Oh my.

Tough love - kick her out - dont let her back in.

20. PHBeerman

PHBeerman

For some people it is. I have a friend who was the first in his family to ever do so. And that was in 1991. Then he was the first to graduate from college, then med school.

His family came to this country when his parents were children and worked the fields.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.