And so it begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok I'm back to giving a s*** about this thing now.

I found a radiator, new in fact but aluminum. So I'm going to give it a shot (it's like $300 shipped)

Injectors are rebuilt

Head was warped and valve seats where literally falling out... That being said it is also done.

I decided that since the cam really needs a good inspection and since I have 2 lifters that just hate me that I need to remove the cam. More work, more money and more s*** that can go wrong...

That being said I got the timing cover off this evening (more work than it sounds)

So I need to order a part or 2 for the cover and clean the mess out of it. If all else fails at least there will be some clean things on this engine.

Cam should come out tomorrow. Depends on work and stuff but I am hoping that with the cam out I can push the last 2 lifters down and be back in business.

OK I am behind. So when I starting looking at the timing gears i noticed that the numbers where off as piss. Like... I'm not sure how this old girl was running. (the numbers are supposed to be lined up)

Now this is all gears... so this makes exactly zero sense to me unless it was this way from the factory. Either way it needed fixed.

This is with the oil pan off as well. (just making sure everything is good at this point.

and now for retiming.

And because I am seriously OCD started painting some things. Might as well

I'm almost at a stand still for install. I am going to clean up the oil pan, and paint it. (it looks like a******) and then wait for some parts.

Not really too much of an update. Mainly trying to work with the parts I have.

Head is now on

Intake side is on

And an hour with a wire wheel on a grinder and some paint and my oil pan no longer looks like trash

I thought I posted this before but I guess not. Half my rad support was already black. So I cleaned up some rust and just shot the rest of it.

So I was super nervous about this. The older I get the more apt I am to just order parts from the dealer. Well the radiator was the issue. Toyota didn't make them anymore and there wasn't a lot of aftermarket options. (Like zero)

Getting the factory one redone was looking to be north of $600 and for an old school copper style it just didn't seem worth it.

Well there was one more option. $300 all aluminum and just as thick (but better coring since it's aluminum over copper) the issue was that the company has sold 1 of these radiators so far... mine so I'm the trail and error..

So after 2 months she came. They only make them for manuals which is fine considering I swapped a manual in my s*** anyway.

The only issue I had was the holes for the fan shroud are not drilled. Means I have to drill 5 holes. (I have no issues with this)

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/cavalier2000/media/bj74/D2A3F75A-ED9E-431A-BA60-97F998703765_zpsdnmd147z.jpg.html] [/URL]

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/cavalier2000/media/bj74/36C5901D-E4F9-4693-A500-AD2CE8348687_zpsxo42tuak.jpg.html] [/URL]

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/cavalier2000/media/bj74/6D9D365E-61DD-4723-9927-3ED7ABDE53B1_zpsqrxuf5mh.jpg.html] [/URL]

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/cavalier2000/media/bj74/281898B9-9C3B-43ED-BF5B-A1104F2382D8_zpsz6ujzyem.jpg.html] [/URL]

The upper mounting tabs got slightly bent in shipping but that's a stupid easy fix.

And since something that shiny would look odd under the hood.. I gotta paint it. And I think I spent more time researching freaking paint than I did actually painting it. That being said here is the first coat (I didn't put too much effort into the fins because they will be covered by a fan and shroud on this side.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/cavalier2000/media/bj74/C71A224F-4483-428C-B3F2-A75CBE5F1FDD_zpsboulzbkn.jpg.html] [/URL]

Keep it up!!!! Come to a meeting. We just had another one last Friday. Can't wait to have a Diesel Cruiser in the Club.

I miss 74!! Get back her on trail!!!

image.jpeg

Yep!!:). What a small 74 when you bought lol

Haha yup. I've done a lot to it since I bought it. Some paint, lift, fenders, doors, windshield frame, bumper lol and now some new engine parts!! She will live for a long time to come

So I'm not sure how I managed to jack up this picture but whatever.

My girls care package came in which means my parts are here as well.

BC355A91-1862-4D2C-AFE9-12E3407C69FF_zpsp37didao.jpg

I started trying to remember where stuff goes and where my kids moved all the bolts to. So after the mad hunt I found the bolts (my little one was stacking them by height on the go kart apparently)

I didn't get much done but I did get the timing cover back on (no mind the dust all over it)

AF3935EF-9A62-4538-9E21-6DB903D7B7A9_zpsw4ywzrek.jpg

The push rods and lifters are chilling in an oil bath before they go in. I hope to get some work done to it this weekend

Got a little more done tonight.

Got the new lifters in, new push rods in, rocker arms on, lifter cover on, and the exhaust manifold on.
Next I will adjust the lifters for clearance and then start getting the turbo on.

AA4B47F2-01D7-41DC-9477-90F59A0A8306_zps2gjwklej.jpg

C9528634-64BC-4CFB-825A-F3EC8ECA7066_zpszubut8rv.jpg

Ok. I got the main pulley in and torqued (177 ft lbs is always fun on an engine pulley)

The heat shields are painted and installed on the mani, turbo installed, oil feed and return lines installed (that was sorta a pain in the ass.)

My hope is it will be running this weekend. Just have to figure out my injector confusion.

7B86574E-3509-4934-A96D-4B88A2FD34EC_zpsw6eybnb7.jpg

D17D238D-6692-4239-B619-4D0FCC821D72_zpssnk2yqr2.jpg

I got the valves adjusted tonight. They were off but I expected that with the new lifters and push rods.

I got the injector confusion figured out and I got them installed as well. It's getting closer.

8142FBA8-61E3-499F-8D98-C8D3EA23561D_zpsdptmlkov.jpg

Looks like some good work. hope it gets running so i can check it out in person. And you make me feel worthless I barley got an engine pulled out of a donor truck this summer.

Looks like some good work. hope it gets running so i can check it out in person. And you make me feel worthless I barley got an engine pulled out of a donor truck this summer.

Haha, it's not all that hard. I have a manual on my iPad if/when I get confused then I refer to it. It's also really helpful for torque values and crap like that.

So I got everything on except the radiator, fan and and fan shroud on. But I was able to get it started for a few seconds. Make sure everything is actually working on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom