And so it begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So it's time for me to take a crap or get off the toilet. I spent the weekend organizing the garage enough to basically squeeze the cruiser in there to work on it. I'll use this as a progress type of thing... And for pictures in case I forget something.

Before

After some careful moving and stacking

After

There is not much room in there but I'll make it work. I hope to have the entire top end taken apart this week.

So I didn't get as far as I wanted today, but I wanted to hang out with my kids as well so I stopped early.

1st thing I did was pull the radiator and I took it over to Dakota Radiator. He said "at least $500" so i left pretty quickly. (so a new radiator will be in my budget.

Radiator, fan air box removed

I got the turbo removed and this was my first time removing a turbo, exhaust down pipe and exhaust mani without breaking a single bolt (considering this is factory 1989 i used alot of pb blaster)

Turbo ended up being in better shape than i thought to be honest. no shaft play amd still spins fine. that being said it is going to be sent off to get a basic rebuild considering its age

Anyone wanna make a down pipe for me lol

And here is the mani removed

So that is my current position. Next it looks like remove a bracket or 2 and pump and the exhaust side of the head will be done. the intake side looks like more of a headache but fairly simple (just alot of vac lines) but we will see what tomorrow brings.

So what did you determine was wrong? A headgasket?

Headgasket was indeed blown. Had that been the only issue and i would be happy.

Broken pushrod and a broken lifter. looks like i need to order some more parts and inspect the cam.

I took some more pictures but i was kind of pissed off so they don't look well. I will go back out there tomorrow when i remove the lifters and take some more.

Ouch, yeah a headgasket would have been just fine.
Yea my heart sank when i pulled the valve cover and saw the first push rod dropped. But I will check out the cam and see how far the damage is. Hopefully its just a clean up and new lifters and pushrods. but i will know more tomorrow. didn't wanna keep working while pissed off haha

Well don't give up on it....you can't just go down to the dealership and by one of those.

No I have friends in Japan that can order it for me. And I have military friends there can can mail it to me with their US address so it's cheaper.

So the injectors are getting checked and i ordered an adjustable wastegate actuator but i havent touched the rest of it yet. ended up getting a new vehicle for my girl so I am doing all my anal touch ups on it

So head is dropped off. Won't know anything for 3-4 weeks.

They finally called on the injectors... Looks like I get to buy new ones.

The company emailed me on the radiator I ordered and said its unavailable so I'm back to square one.

I did get my actuator in and paint a few parts.

This simple fix is getting expensive.... Quick

I need you to be more active in the 70 series section!

:banana:

And post you damn cruiser in the registry. I've been following it trying to find you!

I need you to be more active in the 70 series section!

:banana:

And post you damn cruiser in the registry. I've been following it trying to find you!

Damn white people and registering s***...

I've gotten a few messages telling me to register it there. Still haven't done it yet though lol

well Toyota so nicely stopped making the radiator and injectors... So the injectors are being rebuilt ($450) and I'm looking at options for a radiator.

Some parts came in though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom