And onto the suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.trailcarnage.com
I am done screwing with the body for a while, so I decided that it is time to complete the suspension. I origonally entertained FJ80 coils but I really didn't like them on my Taco. Coils seem to off-load too much for my taste. I don't want to do do a conventional SOA as it lifts an already top-heavy beast too high for me. What I am going to try to do for the rear is a SOA in the rear with Waggy rear leafs (55-56" long). I am going to French the frame and mount the front eye inside of it.
This shoule help keep me down to 3-4" of lift and still have a decent shackle length.

I think am going to move the rears up front, SUA, using the existing hanger. This should move the axle about 1" forward. I will then shorten the front of the frame and mount the shackle pivot high on the frame. This will allow for a long shackle also. I considered a shackle reversal but this train of thought makes good sense to me: http://www.ih8mud.com/tech/shackle-reason.php

I am sure there are some holes in my plan. Can I get some filler? Any links to similiar mods?

I also welded the rear differential. I was suprised to find the small access hole on one side of the carrier. I was expecting it to be symmetric. :confused:

Also, a picture of my AFbrication partner, Elsie (the cow dog).
Diff_Weld_2.jpg
Diff_Weld.jpg
Elsie.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a comparison of the springs that I am adding. The larger is the Waggy rear leaf pack. They are approx. 55" eye to eye. The stock packs are approx. 46". The front eye is approx. 3.75" forward of the stock eye with the remainder of the difference to the rear. They are also approx. 1" taller when stood with the arch away from the floor. I also found that the stock overload springs broke.
Leaf_Compare.jpg
Leaf_Broken.jpg

And finally, Here is a pic of the area of the frame that I removed for the French mounted leafs. I will post specifc dimenions once I verify that they work. :D
French_01.jpg

I'm not familiar with french mounted leafs :confused: . Can you explain?

Welded rear diffs kick ass :)

trailcarnage said:
I also welded the rear differential. I was suprised to find the small access hole on one side of the carrier. I was expecting it to be symmetric. :confused:

QUOTE]

That's going in a full floater right?

So how do you get to the axle c-clips with the cross pin welded in the middle?

60wag said:
That's going in a full floater right?

60wag said:
So how do you get to the axle c-clips with the cross pin welded in the middle?

Did you ever have one of those days where your thinker didn't works so well. I did! :mad: The good news is that the shafts are installed? :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor: :censor:

I sure hope that I don't need to disassemble it

Oh Dude!

I'm laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes. I thought the thing was on the bench. That's gonna be a bugger to get out. Figure you can bust both rear shafts at the same time? Maybe in low range with the hubs undone and sidestep the clutch

lowenbrau said:
Oh Dude!

I'm laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes. I thought the thing was on the bench. That's gonna be a bugger to get out. Figure you can bust both rear shafts at the same time? Maybe in low range with the hubs undone and sidestep the clutch

I will be in so much crap if I can't get it apart... "Honey, I am not sure how to say this but I need to by a new axle." :doh: That should go over real well. Any chance that I can pull the axles hard enough to snap the c-clips?

I doubt it. The way I see it your only hope of salvaging it is to go in with a die grinder and undo what you did on one side. If you can get the block to come out you'll be ok.

Personally, I'd toss the whole assembly and start again. It sux but It'll likley be quicker. Looks like a 3.7 or 4.11 gearset. Nothing exotic right?

I feel your pain and I'd give you a whole assembly if you were closer.

Its a strong rear end. Very few guys eve break a SF axle but I'd be terrified to wheel it now because if it does break on the trail you are so very screwed. Can you imagine having to pull off of Cadillac hill and send someone out for a whole rear axle assembly?

brau,

It is a 3.7, so it should be easy to find. I am pondering some fancy plasma action but am unsure if I can salvage anything. The worst part of the whole deal is being man enough not to delete this post and hide in the corner. :)

no worries dude we all have those days....feel better champ.

With those long leafs you are going to have to add a track bar...

That sucks about the diff. Very nice welds though ;)

:doh: You actually had me laughing out loud Trailcarnage, hopefully with you :D I think we have all been there in one way or anohter, kudos to you for keeping the post up and taking it like a man. Like the others said, nice welds though. The setup you are building sounds pretty cool, keep us updated.

I worked with a guy that welded his c-clip axle and as far as I know he is still running it (been a few years). I say go buy an extra complete axle (I have seen them for $100 or less) and run your welded one until something happens. Oh yah- you better take the extra axle with you when you do the hard trails (just in case!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom