Power Steering Gear Box 105 Series Sector Shaft/Pitman Arm Upgrade (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am bumping this old thread because it has great info and answers most of my questions i have about doing a rebuild. But here is my question that i pose to the forum. My box appears to be gong going strong right now but with 258,000 i would like to rebuild it as PM. I wheel moderately hard on 33s now but might go up to 35s soon. I dont feel i wheel hard compared to some people here. But i have hit things hard enough to knock the steering wheel off center several times, cracked a OEM wheel and make good use of sliders and bumpers regularly. I would like to give the Rubicon a go in a year or so but that would probably be one of the harder trails i do. So my question is am i wasting the $500 to upgrade to the 105 shaft/arm? Should o just rebuild with new seals and save $500 for my intended use or is the 105 arm really what i need even for my level of wheeling?

105 series Sector Shaft 44111-60060
105 series Pitman arm 45411-60360
80 series Reseal kit 04445-60050

I am bumping this old thread because it has great info and answers most of my questions i have about doing a rebuild. But here is my question that i pose to the forum. My box appears to be gong going strong right now but with 258,000 i would like to rebuild it as PM. I wheel moderately hard on 33s now but might go up to 35s soon. I dont feel i wheel hard compared to some people here. But i have hit things hard enough to knock the steering wheel off center several times, cracked a OEM wheel and make good use of sliders and bumpers regularly. I would like to give the Rubicon a go in a year or so but that would probably be one of the harder trails i do. So my question is am i wasting the $500 to upgrade to the 105 shaft/arm? Should o just rebuild with new seals and save $500 for my intended use or is the 105 arm really what i need even for my level of wheeling?

late to your party, but, I twisted a sector shaft after sliding off a muddy forest road into a ditch at 10-15mph. Front wheel took all the impact from the side and twisted the shaft.
I swapped out the steering box the night before a wheeling weekend, and seriously, less than 18hrs later, had twisted the replacement by hitting a wash out in a rutted track at maybe 35mph.
Neither hit in mine seemed like enough to do the damage that was done at the time.

If you're thinking of a rebuild for the sake of PM, given the wheeling you describe, I would definitely throw the 105 shaft in at the same time.

Are the gear boxes the same from 91 - 92 and 93 - 98?

Hi, Personally I have had no problems in any of my cruisers with the standard shafts . These cruisers are well taken care of but not babied . Mike

Resurrecting this thread again, as I've been investigating upgrading my steering for the sake of more responsiveness and better handling. Looking up the parts on Partsouq, they're all listed as being new OEM for the 80 series. Are new OEM 80 series gearboxes now made with the 105 sector shaft and pitman arm? It still looks like it'd cost less to get a used 80 box and (if it uses the old sector shaft) have WTOR rebuild it using the 105 parts. Or if they did in fact supercede the design to use the 105 pitman arm and sector shaft, if I get luck of the draw and get one of those, just send that as-is with a seal kit to WTOR for a rebuild.

This also would be going on my 62 in my quest to improve the responsiveness of the stock steering.

So, I think you could use an 80 series box. That has a bigger piston and thus more power assist. More assist does not mean more responsive. But the FJ62 box is perfectly good, and depending on your use, I'd be tempted to just rebuild as is.

Regarding the 105 parts, if you upgrade to an 80 series box, the 105 parts would make sense. Just spendy. But if your parts are strong enough now, they likely will continue to be so. And so no need to upgrade anything.

More "responsiveness" probably means you need a different car. FJ62s are not "responsive". Instead, they are slow, ponderous, unhurried, right lane material. Just the nature of it.

I'm getting ready to do the 105 PS box rebuild and wondering if anyone has found a good write-up for hydro assist? i'm going to keep searching but figured id post up the question here as well. If is possible i'd rather do it all at the same time.

Hydro assist is a much better and less expensive upgrade that negates the need to throw money away on the 105 sector shaft.

Info on applying hydro assist to an 80 is easy to find.

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to do the 105 PS box rebuild and wondering if anyone has found a good write-up for hydro assist? i'm going to keep searching but figured id post up the question here as well. If is possible i'd rather do it all at the same time.

i got the 105 sector shaft and a seal kit and sent it all to west texas off road. got it all back with a cylinder, hoses, and mounts for around $500 or so, kinda hard to beat for that money. it has worked very well even with 42s and a spool.

Hydro assist is a much better and less expensive upgrade that negates the need to throw money away on the 105 sector shaft.

Finding info on applying hydro assist to an 80 is easy to find.

Still doesn’t negate the possible need for a sector shaft if the shaft in any given gear box is twisted—which is the case for most 80 series boxes especially if any decent wheeling’s been done with the truck.

It’s not only a strength upgrade but it also fixes issues with shafts as well.

A reasonable caveat to consider.

i got the 105 sector shaft and a seal kit and sent it all to west texas off road. got it all back with a cylinder, hoses, and mounts for around $500 or so, kinda hard to beat for that money. it has worked very well even with 42s and a spool.
But you paid dearly for the sector shaft kit. West Texas off-road are the people who told me not to bother with the 105 kit and just do the hydro assist instead.

Your sector must not have been twisted.

By the way there isn't a "kit" for going to a 105 sector. You need a seal kit for the regular box, a 105 sector shaft and a 105 pitman arm.

If one were to buy the current part number 80 Series box it would also be necessary to get the 105 pitman arm as the current 80 box has the larger 105 sector in it.

Your sector must not have been twisted.

By the way there isn't a "kit" for going to a 105 sector. You need a seal kit for the regular box, a 105 sector shaft and a 105 pitman arm.

If one were to buy the current part number 80 Series box it would also be necessary to get the 105 pitman arm as the current 80 box has the larger 105 sector in it.
I have yet to install hydro assist so I don't know if my sector shaft is twisted or not. I do know that mine is a likely candidate but I have a spare steering gear box to rob from. The price of the 105 shaft and pitman arm is obscene. I don't know how the stock 80 sector shaft strength compares to that of a saginaw box that would have come on a 1970's half ton truck but I never had problems with with those before or after hydro assist installation.

If you think the shaft is expensive you should price the complete box. :lol:

Does one need to go west texas off road with special info to put this together or just tell them you are want to go to hydro on an 80 series?

But you paid dearly for the sector shaft kit. West Texas off-road are the people who told me not to bother with the 105 kit and just do the hydro assist instead.
Yes i did. About as much as the whole wtor kit and rebuild. My sector shaft was twisted so i needed to replace it any way. If yours isnt twisted, i would think you would be fine with the stock 80 sector and hydro assist

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom