...and like that, it's down (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

compression test was fine. Also had a hydrocarbon test on the coolant which was negative. I think we can reasonably rule out head gasket. I am going to go ahead and replace the radiator and thermostat while I am at it. Starting to chase down if there is a vaccum leak and
I HIGHLY recommend doing the H20 pump while you've got everything out of the front. It is a relatively inexpensive, but critical, piece. It would be a shame to go through all that work to pull the rad and put it back, only to have the pump go bad a short time later.

I HIGHLY recommend doing the H20 pump while you've got everything out of the front. It is a relatively inexpensive, but critical, piece. It would be a shame to go through all that work to pull the rad and put it back, only to have the pump go bad a short time later.

The only con to this is that decent water pumps are becoming hard to find. Most of the ones available now are garbage. It'd suck to replace a decently healthy Japanese water pump with a crappy Chinese one.

Yep sorry, have an oem water pump from cruiser outfitters on the way also.

The only con to this is that decent water pumps are becoming hard to find. Most of the ones available now are garbage. It'd suck to replace a decently healthy Japanese water pump with a crappy Chinese one.
Get a made in japan/Taiwan one? I'm sure there are high quality ones still available.

Last edited:
My Aisin on my F is going strong after 4 or 5 years.

Sorry I couldn't make the meeting tonight, I am packing up the house.

I wanted to give an update on this issue in case anyone else experiences something similar. After replacing the entire cooling system, the truck runs with a bit hotter all the time, but now does not overheat. Prior to the work, my temp would sit at about 1/3 from cool. Anything around town would be fine, but after 5 miles or so at highway speed would overheat and do so not gradually. After replacing the radiator, water pump, thermostat, housing and all hoses- it now runs right in the middle of the temp gauge, but it is rock solid on the highway. None of the components that were pulled visually looked damaged, and I couldn't isolate exactly which part or combination was the source of the problem. All parts were replaced with factory or aisin remanufactured.

Thanks for everyone's responses and help.

Cut the rad open
I sent the old one out to have it re-cored. I have an oem rad in there now, but for a 40 w/o Air Con. Had to buy some cheap brackets from Home Depot, but it will work until the original comes back. Once they open up the old one, I will update- but I have a strong feeling that was the issue.

If someone is pulling a 40 out of long term storage- may want to just go ahead and replace the radiator straight away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom