...and like that, it's down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, today was the culmination of all my other threads. I had finished what I wanted to get done before the winter. I got my antique plates this morning, and I was really looking forward to tomorrow night and meeting everyone.

It was not meant to be though. I have been taking it out for longer and longer highway runs in preparation for an upcoming trip. I was getting off my exit of 495 and noticed it was running a bit hot. In the several blocks to my house I started smelling that terrible burning metal smell. Just as I was about to shut it down and coast into a service station, I had what was most likely a catastrophic failure of the 2f.

TL: DR

Anyone have any experience with these:

Last edited:
That really stinks. Hopefully is not totally blown. the metallic sound makes it sound like no oil. galley plug failure maybe???

What did you find when you popped the hood? You see anything obvious? Could you tell where the smell was coming from?

You might want to, at this point, get it out to @OTRAMM and just let him go through it. I don't recall if you said where you took it for its tune up but these trucks really do require someone experienced with them to get the most out of them.

What did you find when you popped the hood? You see anything obvious? Could you tell where the smell was coming from?
Nothing obvious, just looks like it overheated.

No cracks or oil inside engine bay.

I had it a garage that was right by my house and would let me come by and learn a few things, which I thought would be helpful long term.

If this is something serious, it is absolutely going his way.

Last edited:
You open the oil cap? See any steam coming out of that or chocolate milk colored oil in the cap?

Did your mechanic do any work on the cooling system? How's the color of the coolant, muddy looking or nice and green? Someone here recently had their OEM radiator cleaned out and resealed but you can also still get a new radiator from Toyota if that ends up being the issue.

Did your mechanic do any work on the cooling system? How's the color of the coolant, muddy looking or nice and green? Someone here recently had their OEM radiator cleaned out and resealed but you can also still get a new radiator from Toyota if that ends up being the issue.
Just a flush and fluid fill. Fluid looks green, but actually might look a little muddy.

Is a new radiator the next logical step?

A full cooling system refresh would be the radiator (OEM), the water pump (OEM or Aisin), fan clutch (OEM or Aisin) and the thermostat (OEM). Maybe some or all of the hoses in the engine bay if they look old and cracked. I couldn't say for sure which of these could be your issue. But if it's only overheating while at highway speed that's when the radiator should have sufficient air flow to cool without the fan. Could be a partially blocked radiator, could be a thermostat not opening fully, maybe a water pump.

Is it possible you still have air in the cooling system...?
Has the radiator cap been replaced..? :bang:

Is it possible you still have air in the cooling system...?
Has the radiator cap been replaced..? :bang:
The last time it overheated that was thought to be the most likely culprit. It was flushed and burped, but the problem persists. I forgot to mention, but there is a definite smell on the highway that I can smell prior to the temperature beginning to rise- as soon as I start driving highway speeds. Again, around town I am good all day long, but 10 minutes on the highway and it is ready to boil over.

Even when you think you’ve filled it up, you’re still a ways from ”full”. Filling via the coolant overflow or did you directly fill it via the radiator cap? I blew a head gasket on a 2F and replaced the entire cooling system (hoses, water pump, OEM radiator) after installing a new head gasket. I was eyeballing the temp sensor & coolant overflow for a few weeks. I finally fixed it by filling via the radiator cap. The coolant overflow was “full” even though the radiator clearly not full.

Last edited:
Even when you think you’ve filled it up, you’re still a ways from ”full”. Filling via the coolant overflow or did you directly fill it via the radiator cap?
The last time, I rolled into a service station as it was overheating and they flushed and filled, so not sure.

Anything specific I can check for now? The coolant overflow is at the line.

Another mudder @lmast was driving up from GA to drop off split rims and called me en route due to over heating. He was pissed off because he had a new cooling system installed. I told him to take a rag to prevent the water from spraying him while the system was under pressure. Can’t remember how much water he added, but it fixed. He was doubtful that was the issue too. Problem was fixed, dropped off the rims and continued to Maine.

Real-time Help Needed for an H diesel (water pump)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom