And I thought I knew my FJ40

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 40 is a 1972, bought by my father in about 1978 (he thinks). Today on a whim I decided to pull the block number so I could add it to my records.

I questioned the old man after I took this picture and he doesn't believe me. The number (per SOR) puts it as a 1978 2F made sometime between January and April as near as I can tell. Dad bought it from the original owner and swears the engine has never been swapped. It's running the 3speed trans too.

2F FJ40 Engine Small.jpg

Some work has been done on the engine - note the non-Toyota metric bolt on the side cover. The 2F build date is March 1978 - see Post #374 here:

2F serial number info...
Thank you. I know the engine was freshened by a machine shop about 15 years ago, but I don't believe it was a full rebuild. I'm really shocked this has a 2F.

apparently you didn't know it well. there are several visual differences between the F engine that should be in it and the 2F that is in it.
Not necessarily easy to spot at a glance if it's like the '76 2F in my '71 FJ40 - pretty much everything but the long block was retained by the previous owner when the F was replaced with the 2F - air filter housing, carburetor, manifolds, water pump, alternator, etc.

Not necessarily easy to spot at a glance if it's like the '76 2F in my '71 FJ40 - pretty much everything but the long block was retained by the previous owner when the F was replaced with the 2F - air filter housing, carburetor, manifolds, water pump, alternator, etc.

oil filter location?

Side by side it has quite a few visual differences than my friend's 77 2F so much of the F may have been maintained.

oil filter location?
Passenger side between the fuel pump and dizzy.
I'm not saying I know many of the differences between the F and the 2F, but that that my old man bought it in the late 70s (he thinks) and had no idea it didn't have the F in it. I never considered it would have anything except for the original motor, hence my surprise.
I guess I'll have to update my signature :)

Sometimes the machine shops don't tell the customer.
Ask @Biscuit .

If it was changed fifteen years ago would have dad would have noticed the change in the oil filter location. The end of the 73 model (not build date) the oil system change. Part of the change filter moved from the intake manifold to the block on the other side. 71 Model was the last model year of the oil fill tube instead of the block. Another thing would think would be noticed.

If it was changed fifteen years ago would have dad would have noticed the change in the oil filter location. The end of the 73 model (not build date) the oil system change. Part of the change filter moved from the intake manifold to the block on the other side. 71 Model was the last model year of the oil fill tube instead of the block. Another thing would think would be noticed.
Yeah we would have both noticed it. The block has definitely been in there the almost 40 years he's owned it, which means the original owner must have swapped it in and not told him. He had told my dad that some of the clutch had been replaced, but didn't mention anything else (as my dad recalls).

This makes me wonder if the original engine was burned up and the guy quickly got whatever he could put in as a replacement then sold it hoping no one would ever know. Seems shady, so another option was the 2F available out and he got a killer deal on one and wanted the newer engine. Although that would lead me to believe he would sell it and tout the awesomeness of the newer engine. Who knows.

How old is your Dad? Cause my old man can't remember major events of last week let alone what engine he was running in a car in the 70's. He spends so much time 'out there'. The down side is I have to remind him about my birthday. The upside is he'll be well prepared for when The Greys arrive.

How old is your Dad? Cause my old man can't remember major events of last week let alone what engine he was running in a car in the 70's. He spends so much time 'out there'. The down side is I have to remind him about my birthday. The upside is he'll be well prepared for when The Greys arrive.

He's not that old yet :)

Sometimes the machine shops don't tell the customer.
Ask @Biscuit .

That happened to me. Had a 10/73 1.5F and ended up with a '71 F block. There was confusion and cursing when I put the motor back in.

That said I should have put a used 2F/H42 in at the time the original 1.5F died. Would have been cheaper than getting the rebuild done and at least I would have known going in I was going to make my 40 a mutt.

That said, if it is running well, I'd stick with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom