Ancient Mystery 96 cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings

This is a bit irrelevant, since the problem occured only once, and it was 6 1/2 years ago. But back then I didnt have a resource like this board to post the question to.

About 3 months after acquiring the 96 LC (with factory lockers) We drove about 400 miles to Pittsburgh...the first really long drive for the LC. I would guess it had 2500 miles on it.

As I was exiting the PA turnpike, in a long right turn on the ramp, when I lifted my foot from the gas, and the engine slightly braked the car, there was a brief (1- 1 1/2 seconds or so) but harrendous(sp?) loud ratcheting/clicking noise from one of the front wheel areas (dont remember which side now) Got the rest of the way home without a repeat and took it to the dealer in PA the next day, who I doubt had seen many Landcruisers. He basically had no idea what could have caused it. Clicking is not a great word to decribe it because it was much louder than that, but the sound was discrete like rapids clicks, and not continous like grinding.

Never has happened since!!, but it was no mistake back then, and sounded extremely serious. At the time, I remember being certain it was associated with the engine slowing the car. Anyone have any conjecture on what that could have been, or any similar experiences. Its just on my mind again recently since I'm going to go in and do some axle and bearing work soon

Thanks to all

Are you sure ir wasn't the anti-lock brakes kicking in?

TLCgrappler,

I agree with Sean and will bet a :beer: it was the ABS system kicking in. It can be quite disconcerting when braking from speed and hitting a rough spot in the road. I'm getting used to it but it will still get the heart pumping. Oversized tires exacerbate the experience.

BTW, my wife's truck does the same thing though not as loud as the Cruiser.
-B-

Yup,
Another vote for activated ABS. I gather you have a vivid memory of the event, test it thusly: Find yourself a big empty parking lot or stretch of deserted street. Accelerate to about 15 or so MPH and STAND on the brake pedal. See if that's the event you remember. Oh, it's normal.

BTW, in Moab I was running down hill in sand in low range un-locked( :G remember?) and I hit the pedal. The ABS kicked in.

:beer:

BTW, in Moab I was running down hill in sand in low range un-locked(  :G remember?) and I hit the pedal. The ABS kicked in.

???I thought ABS was automaticly disabled in low range...

From reading the original message it was "engine braking". Now if he was also "foot braking" and on slippery surface or tight turn I'd agree. But from his discription of engine braking on a long right turn I'm sticking with the tranny diagnosis. My guess is that the tranny went to downshift into 3rd and was a bit slow and with a slight load on it caused the planetary gears to miss a little giving a "clicking noise".

I have this quite often. Just this past winter when it was around 0 deg. my tranny would click first shift into OD in the morning. Like clock work on the way to Dunkin Donuts in the same area it would click.

From researching the problem it seams to be with the O-rings in the tranny. I've found a TSB which identifies several O-rings changed to a different material and have talked with a tranny guy who said it was quite common with all makes of this type of design.

FWIW my tranny was the worst at around 80k with reverse problems but those have seemed to have subsided but now I have this OD problem. The tranny guy's recommendation was to just drive it as it is probably as bad as it will get.

"  ???I thought ABS was automaticly disabled in low range..."

Nick,

There is a Top Secret way to get around that :G

Rick, Your theory has merit as well. As I am cursed with a 442 :bow: , I don't know all of the nasty habits of the 343.

Rick,

&nbsp:Do you have the CDL switch now? If so, by all means consider doing it. I find that I run around in low unlocked quite often, particularly in tight maneuvering on slickrock.
I also prefer the low range "shift pattern" over the one you get by unpluging the low4 position switch. It also makes backing my boat around the back of the house MUCH easier.

Bottom line, it's a personal taste issue..................Dan

cruiserdan,
I installed the CDL switch, but did not "unplug" the connector to the transfer case, because I did not want to leave connections exposed to the elements.
Is there a better way to do this that you would be willing to share?
Since it is "top secret", maybe we can negotiate, in an e-mail?

Thanxs,
Eduardo :)

-H-

I can tell, Your'e jealous aren't you?

Oh my, look I got another one. 8)

Does this count as a wrench post?

Kewwell.............

Eduardo, It's so secret that the Wulf has a copy in a Bayonaise jar under his pillow. :G

Bottom of page 6

"LOW WITHOUT CENTER DIFF LOCKED"

-H-, got me another one. ::)

cdan,
not necessarily jealous, just a bit anal. corrosion in low voltage electrical systems are a pain,thus why add a place for more. I'm sure there must be a better place to dissconect.
I just haven't had a chance to invest, both time and money(electrical schematic manual)
since i noticed you had to switch to "keystone beer"
i was willing to barter some ice cold coronas mexican limes included (from my tree)
but since it is such a "top secret" i guess i'll have to buy the book, drink the beer, and spend the time needed.
to satisfy my anal ways.
eduardo

found the post and printed it for future use, seems now all i have to do is make some time and do it. i'll look for my pin extractor tool and find pin # 7 (black/blue tracer)
Thanks
offer still stands on the coronas and lime.
sorry no english beer here.
Eduardo :)

Eduardo,

I was not refering to you being jealous if the modification, I was making fun of Hltoppr complaining about my post count.

I will gladly assist you in depleting your supply of Coronas and limes. What time?

As you do not have English beer, you should be safe performing electrical modifications.

Dan :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom