An 80 guy considers a 200 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

Can someone point me to a resource for which options are desirable and which are not? I'd like to upgrade and since the newest 100s are 2007, seems like 200 is a better long term option (although my 80 has no issues getting around).

My goal is to find out if there is a way to strip down the 200 to only those features that are absolutely necessary. Might even consider a new one just to accomplish this. I know it probably has butt massagers and a keurig built into the steering wheel and comes with an au pair for your kids while the truck is under warranty. I dont want that stuff because I never want to have to fix it or get in the way.

So how does that work?

P.S. I understand the natural first comment will be to stick with 80/100 but I'd like to make the 200 work. Is it an LC or not?

Hey folks,

Can someone point me to a resource for which options are desirable and which are not? I'd like to upgrade and since the newest 100s are 2007, seems like 200 is a better long term option (although my 80 has no issues getting around).

My goal is to find out if there is a way to strip down the 200 to only those features that are absolutely necessary. Might even consider a new one just to accomplish this. I know it probably has butt massagers and a keurig built into the steering wheel and comes with an au pair for your kids while the truck is under warranty. I dont want that stuff because I never want to have to fix it or get in the way.

So how does that work?

P.S. I understand the natural first comment will be to stick with 80/100 but I'd like to make the 200 work. Is it an LC or not?

I have both 80 and 200. Yes, the 200 is every bit an LC. You will love it.

As far as ordering one new, you get to choose 2 options. Rear DVD entertainment and color. Thats it. We only get the fully optioned versions in the US. Suggest you start in the sticky thread at the top of the 200 page.

Just about the only option is paint color. Go to Toyota.com and build a 200.

There are 3 groups to look at

2008-2012
2012-2015
2016+

These are the years there are deltas. Then within these years is condition and the normal stuff

like the 80's section there is an FAQ with some info for potential buyers (must be the same moderator). It has a link on differences between the years

here is what was added to 2013-2015
No more Upgrade Package; all features now standard.
Exterior and interior styling enhancements that included:
- updated front grille and headlamps with HID low-beams,
- LED Daytime Running Lights,
- chrome side molding,
- redesigned outer side mirrors and tail lamps,
- enlarged front and rear fenders.
- One new color, Pearl White was added to its palette.

Complementing the freshened exterior, Land Cruiser received an updated interior:
- available in either Sandstone or Black,
- perforated leather trim with ventilated front seats,
- a higher gloss wood grain finish,
- brighter silver instrument panel ornamentation,
- chrome-plated air registers and updated meter-cluster lighting,
- Multi-terrain Monitor with front, side or rear selectable views,
- a new Multi-information Display,
- an Eco Driving Indicator light and zone display,
- a heated steering wheel,
- Dynamic Radar Cruise Control;
- an additional power outlet (DC 12V) at the rear of the center console,
- and a rear cargo deck power outlet that was changed to AC 120V from AC 115V.

There was also facelift done in 2016. They layout of the console buttons is much better. There are Screens in the back of the front seats. They changed to a new 8 speed tranny and likely a few other things

Here is also a recent thread that might help you

looking for a 200, options to look for?

In my '17, the Keurig is on the passenger side inside the glove box rather than the steering wheel and will take only 16oz mugs. As one who has made the 80-100-200 progression over the last 20 years, I can confidently say that despite the Keurig, the 200 is an LC. Go for the 200 (any year) and never look back; it is a no-regrets kind of vehicle.

I've done the 40-80-100-200 trek and agree... no looking back unless you really want a rock crawler on 40's. Then, stick with the 80.... and having a 40 on the side never really sucks. Done that twice now.

I did the 40-55x2-62-80-100x2-200x2 progression.
With an occasional 4Runner mixed in.

I still have my 80 ( about to go to my son who has his drivers permit)

I love my 200. (Now 200s)

So much I got rid of my second 100
Series and got a second 200 series. Wife loves it, kids love it, and I love it. Great for road trips and I can go anywhere I want with it.

My 2 200S are honestly amazing. My 80 still stands out as an amazing truck and I have always said it was the best vehicle I have ever owned but I expect the 200 will take that spot over.

If you want an old truck go that route but if you want a relatively modern extremely capable off road truck that is amazingly comfortable on road as well buy a 200.

You will never look back.

John

I’ve had a 97 FZJ80 for 17 years. I just bought another one last Dec, bone stock 96 with 380k Miles. So I got a good feel for the 80s.

I had a 04 UZJ100 for 3 years and sold it to buy 2013 200 this summer. Right now I still NOT impressed with the 200. The “once a month emissions code” the seller disclosed turned into a permanent code once summer heat hit, it would come back right away after being cleared.

In an 80, a check engine light is no big deal, most are running around with P0401.

I followed the 200 forum loosely for 10 years and never realized this: A check engine light for a emissions code DISABLES low range and traction control on a 200!!! :bang:I feel this an unpardonable sin for Toyota’s backcountry flagship. If I would have known that ahead of time, I might not have bought a 200.

My 200 was one of the ones that did Top of the World in Moab last July and killed the evaporative system. I think I might have got that fixed with a new charcoal canister ($500), still have P0418 code from the secondary air injection system. That was another :worms:that I had no experience with before.

Some other electronic gremlins. The PO had to replace a rear seatbelt (which he never used) because a sensor went out ($400). There’s a flicker in the HID lights. (This is 2013 with 120k miles)

Mine rides on BP-51s and has SPC UCAs. I am still have a pull and a vibration I haven’t been able to sort out, I should be able to get the alignment dialed in with the SPCs, but my local shop isn’t that great apparently. I live in a rural area, so finding a shop a trust with the 200 is a pain as there are no others in my area.

The PO got so tired of fighting the electronics, he sold it and is building a 70 on an 80 chassis with a GM 6.2 v8.

I am working through the issues on the 200 and am confident I get through them eventually. Still, when the turbo finally shows up for the 80, the 200 May go.

I keep hearing on the forum how great the 200 is. It’s a drama queen, it may be great when everything is dialed in, but there is so much more drama than an 80 or a 100.

I’ve had a 97 FZJ80 for 17 years. I just bought another one last Dec, bone stock 96 with 380k Miles. So I got a good feel for the 80s.

I had a 04 UZJ100 for 3 years and sold it to buy 2013 200 this summer. Right now I still NOT impressed with the 200. The “once a month emissions code” the seller disclosed turned into a permanent code once summer heat hit, it would come back right away after being cleared.

In an 80, a check engine light is no big deal, most are running around with P0401.

I followed the 200 forum loosely for 10 years and never realized this: A check engine light for a emissions code DISABLES low range and traction control on a 200!!! :bang:I feel this an unpardonable sin for Toyota’s backcountry flagship. If I would have known that ahead of time, I might not have bought a 200.

My 200 was one of the ones that did Top of the World in Moab last July and killed the evaporative system. I think I might have got that fixed with a new charcoal canister ($500), still have P0418 code from the secondary air injection system. That was another :worms:that I had no experience with before.

Some other electronic gremlins. The PO had to replace a rear seatbelt (which he never used) because a sensor went out ($400). There’s a flicker in the HID lights. (This is 2013 with 120k miles)

Mine rides on BP-51s and has SPC UCAs. I am still have a pull and a vibration I haven’t been able to sort out, I should be able to get the alignment dialed in with the SPCs, but my local shop isn’t that great apparently. I live in a rural area, so finding a shop a trust with the 200 is a pain as there are no others in my area.

The PO got so tired of fighting the electronics, he sold it and is building a 70 on an 80 chassis with a GM 6.2 v8.

I am working through the issues on the 200 and am confident I get through them eventually. Still, when the turbo finally shows up for the 80, the 200 May go.

I keep hearing on the forum how great the 200 is. It’s a drama queen, it may be great when everything is dialed in, but there is so much more drama than an 80 or a 100.

I don’t blame ya for not being impressed with YOUR 200...but THE 200 is solid. You got a goofy one...and that is a real bummer...but it sounds like you bought it despite red flags.

After TOTW I got codes, but it’s never prevented use of 4lo, etc. Codes are gone now since adding subtank & swapping out canister.

I’ve wheeled HARD with many many 200’s in and beat the snot of of my 11 year old 200 all over West half of the US and watched a ton of other 200’s do the same. Never been stranded, and the only stranded 200’s I know of were due to tire failures and non-Toyota parts.

Clearly you have an issue that is annoying as heck...

Last edited:

I'd be pissed too, but I think you got that one in a million crappy 200. I had far more problems with my 80 and 2 100's than I've had with my 200. Actually, I haven't had a single problem yet over 5 years and 77k miles on a truck that is now at 137k. I guess this proves lemons exist for any make and model.

I'd be pissed too, but I think you got that one in a million crappy 200. I had far more problems with my 80 and 2 100's than I've had with my 200. Actually, I haven't had a single problem yet over 5 years and 77k miles on a truck that is now at 137k. I guess this proves lemons exist for any make and model.

My 100 was solid for the most part...but I went through at least 4 CV replacements even with a diff drop. No diff drop on my 200, and zero CV issues running 35’s. I did like the manual 4hi/Lo shifter on my 100...BUT...it was getting iffy and it’s well over $4k to swap out...plus massive labor.

My 200 is every bit as capable Offroad, and more. Would not go back to 100 despite loving that truck til it was 16 years old. I plan to keep my 11 year old 200 for a long time...

Last edited:

So the previous owner told you he had these kind of problems before you bought it?

My 100 was solid for the most part...but I went through at least 4 CV replacements even with a diff drop. No diff drop on my 300, and zero CV issues running 35’s. I did like the manual 4hi/Lo shifter on my 100...BUT...it was getting iffy and it’s well over $4k to swap out...plus massive labor.

My 200 is every bit as capable Offroad, and more. Would not go back to 100 despite loving that truck til it was 16 years old. I plan to keep my 11 year old 200 for a long time...

How is your 300? I hear the time travel mode is impressive :D

3 weeks prior to purchase, I did a 650 mile overland trail following the 200 in my old 80, it’s an awesome rig! I was told it threw an emissions code when I bought it, needed an alignment and a balance.

Based on Markuson’s post it sounds like it’s not the evaporative system but the P0418 code, secondary air pump, that’s killing the low range and traction control. That’s what I am really mad about it going into “limp” for a minor emissions problem.

The PO dealt with seatbelt. I am not trying to trash the PO, he has posted a lot on the rig, I could have looked more prior to buying.

OP of this thread is asking about coming from an 80 to a 200. Driving an 80 for 17 years, I never dreamed that Toyota would lock out Low Range and Traction control for a CEL. Also getting an alignment can be much more of a chore with IFS, this the first time I had to deal with IFS and I am not impressed with my local shop. While 200s are rare, Toyota IFS is not. I need to find a new alignment shop, but it’s a valid point to know who you are going to call if you have issues with 200.

I jumped into getting a 200 based on the typical chorus above of best platform ever. I wanted to give the OP a warning about surprises I didn’t think to look or ask about. I am DELIGHTED that the other 200 owners have great things to say.

I don’t know what your mileages on that 200 but emissions warranties go up to I think over 80,000 miles and 10 years you might check that out might be covered

I will add here that *if I leave an error code active...* it can prevent shifting into Lo...so in that aspect, I agree that it seems like a unnecessary, artificial limitation of an unrelated, critical function.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom