Amsoil Users: Lube for transfer Case?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Amsoil application guide shows to use 75W-90 "Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube" for GL-4 rating or 75W-90 Severe Gear Lube for GL-5 in the transfer case. Since I am already ordering 75W-90 syn for the diffs, I would like to use the same in the Transfer case. Anyone know the difference? I sent an email to Amsoil, but have not heard back. I can't bring myself to eat the price difference between the regular gear lube and the severe.

What do you use?

Last edited:
I always recommend Royal Purple, or Redline (Redline is harder to get usually). Royal Purple and Redline are on par with each other so that's why I say either one. Amsoil is good too, but I feel it's older technology (note that this is my opinion).

Last edited:
Amsoil application guide shows to use 75W-90 "Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube" for GL-4 rating or 75W-90 Severe Gear Lube for GL-5 in the transfer case. Since I am already ordering 75W-90 syn for the diffs, I would like to use the same in the Transfer case. Anyone know the difference? I sent an email to Amsoil, but have not heard back. I can't bring myself to eat the price difference between the regular gear lube and the severe.

What do you use?

I've been using Amsoil in everything...but I'll have to check at home with respect to the t-case as I can't remember. I think however I have been using the GL-5.

AMSoil GL-5 for diffs and T-case. Series 2000 0w-30 in the motor and ATF in the tranny. Good stuff.

AMSoil GL-5 for diffs and T-case. Series 2000 0w-30 in the motor and ATF in the tranny. Good stuff.

I definitely felt a difference in the way it shifts after installing syn tranny fluid (Amsoil). The shifts are more 'firm' and seem quicker.

I didn't think anyone had WS-ATF at the moment. I know the Royal Purple representative said it was not cost effective to develop.

I didn't think anyone had WS-ATF at the moment. I know the Royal Purple representative said it was not cost effective to develop.

The 99s like Spressomon has did not require the WS-ATF.

Ah yes..... I remember reading that now. I think it was the 2003 and newer models which switched to the WS-ATF. Thanks for reminding me.

Ok well the original poster has a 2005 LC.... He requires the WS-ATF.....

Ah yes..... I remember reading that now. I think it was the 2003 and newer models which switched to the WS-ATF. Thanks for reminding me.

I have e-mailed Amsoil asking the same question you did and received the same type of response. I'm not a smart guy on tranny's but I don't feel totally comfortable with a "lifetime" tranny fluid...even it is from Toyota.

Redline claims their new D6 will work in place of Toyota WS.

Red Line Oil: Gear Lubricants

Recommended where the latest Dexron-VI is required, as well as where Ford Mercon SP, Toyota WS and Mercedes Benz NAG-2 fluids are specified​

Toyota has been generally conservative with fluids so its unlikely that the WS is so ground breaking or unique that it has been hard to match.

Whether you want to be the first to try it out ...

The regular Amsoil 75w-90 gear oil will do more than fine. I've been running it in the T-case and diffs with their ATF in the tranmission. Extreme cold starts are noticeably smoother with all synthetics in the drivetrain, other than that I can't say you'll notice performance improvements.

I have e-mailed Amsoil asking the same question you did and received the same type of response. I'm not a smart guy on tranny's but I don't feel totally comfortable with a "lifetime" tranny fluid...even it is from Toyota.

I don't feel there is such a thing as lifetime anything in 4 wheel drives. Especially fluids. I figure I'll take it to Toyota and have them replace the fluid with factory Toyota WS-ATF and call it good. At least until there is a solid replacement from a major synthetic manufacturer out there. IE- Redline, Royal Purple, Amsoil etc.. And I don't mean a representative saying "This is more or less the same"... I mean "This is a direct replacement", no question.

Ended up ordering the 75W-90 Severe gear lube for all three applications. The difference in cost was around $10, plus I am about to drive to West Texas for some wheeling, so I might as well put the good stuff in. Anyway, the intervals are so long that the cost difference is negligible.

West Texas! One of my favorite places....... We should meet up before you go, I just got back from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom