I have been chasing this gremlin for some time and now all is good with my whole electrical system.
- My ampmeter was always jumping around for no apparent reason.
- My headlights were always going from dim to very bright while driving, not bump related. Eventually they burned out at the same time, and the high beams.
- I blew a 25 amp fuse that triggers my relay for my electric fan last week and overheated and boiled over.
- I put a digital voltmeter on my alt and saw it spiking up to 16.5 volts. I brought it in to Lloyds Electric shop and they put it on the machine to test. Sure enough, after it warmed up it started spiking. $25.00 later and I walked out with a new regulator part in my alternator.
- Lights work perfect and are steady in brightness.
- Ampmeter is steady and only moves slighly above the middle when I am on the gas or have lights,blowers, etc. on. Yaaay!
- No more blowing fuses that trigger my electric fan when my temp reaches 180.
- My idle for the first time is now down to 700. Before I always had to blip the throttle as it seemed like the choke was always on. I can't explain this one but I have a brand new Holley TA 670 on it and it would always climb back up to 1,500 rpm even when it was warm. I have everything adjusted to get it to idle much lower. Maybe the voltage issues were creating issue with the electric choke?