Amplifier Bypass Connection (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been discussed many times, but I am not finding what I need in the search. Hopefully it's an easy answer.

For an aftermarket stereo you can plug it into the two connectors not used by the factory radio behind the dash and unplug the factory amp outputs or you can plug it into the output connectors at the factory amplifier after extending the new stereo harness over the amp.

Does it matter which option you choose? I want to get all the front and rear speaker to work. Do the unused connectors behind the radio only drive the door speakers? Will connecting to the amp outputs drive all speakers except the sub or will it also drive the factory sub?

I suggest you have a look at the electrical diagrams in the FSM. You will see that all the speakers get driven via the factory amp or the two connectors behind the radio when the amp is disabled. The LX450 is unique in that it does not come with the two connectors behind the radio so a harness needs to be crafted from the new radio to the connectors at the OEM amp. There is no need for this harness on the Land Cruiser models. The two connector Metra brand or similar adapters all all you need to install an aftermarket radio in the LC with the two plugs behind the radio.

That said there is not a good reason to use all of the original speakers/locations. The dash speakers have very bad imaging because they point towards the floor. Most guys use those speaker locations for external speakers for other electronics like 2-way radios. The rear roof speakers are useless as well as far as contributing to the entire sound stage. The OEM rear sub is total garbage. Add an aftermarket sub or speaker/amp for a better overall system.

I know this has been discussed many times, but I am not finding what I need in the search. Hopefully it's an easy answer.

For an aftermarket stereo you can plug it into the two connectors not used by the factory radio behind the dash and unplug the factory amp outputs or you can plug it into the output connectors at the factory amplifier after extending the new stereo harness over the amp.

Does it matter which option you choose? I want to get all the front and rear speaker to work. Do the unused connectors behind the radio only drive the door speakers? Will connecting to the amp outputs drive all speakers except the sub or will it also drive the factory sub?

The small speakers under the dash are on the same circuit as the front door speakers, the small speakers over the 3rd row seats are in the same circuit as the rear door speakers. I'm not sure about the factory subwoofer.

I found that these small speakers were not useful in my situation so I removed them and just run the four door speakers + aftermarket subwoofer (under the seat).

As for the wiring I recommend using the two plugs and not the factory amplifier (I removed my factory amp).

Perfect, thanks guys. I was seeing conflicting information regarding the difference between connecting to the two locations. It must have been some of the LX450 specific items. I'll likely play with the speakers down the road, but I wanted to make sure I was setting up the head unit in the best way possible while I am making the harness and have the dash apart. I'll go with the connectors behind the radio and unplug the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom