Amp Guage Fried While Winching

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.crawlorado.com
While in Moab i was winching myself out of a Nasty Spot.

Sitting in the truck while the winch was Pulling Hard i noticed the Gauge Slamming into the Negative while the winch was working, then back into the positive when you let off it.. Now my Gauge is All the way to the Left all the time, Past the point where all the guages rest while the truck is off, i must have fried it! Alternator is still working (Tested its magnetic ability with a Screw driver) . this is the stock Gauge Cluster in a 76.. i want to keep the stock look, because its all original and looks clean!

Question is, #1 How could i fix my Gauge? Buy a used one and swap out the parts?

Question #2 is how do i prevent this in the future?

my Winch is an old 8274, Motor Comm and brushes looked fine, but i dont think its pulling as good as my 9000xi i had on there before.. Alternator is a 74 amp, and im running and Electric (Ford Taurus) Fan..

Wow.
Smoke gremlins or just smell? :D

You could try a more substantial battery to ease the load. Sounds like your alternator is taking too much pull down. A dual battery set up on an isolator switch would fix it for sure. I use one battery for winch load and stereo and take the alernator out of the loop (switch alternator current off to it) if I'm working it hard (logging).

Run a hot & ground bypass with some jumpers cables and see if it still does it; might be time for new wires. Might try a load test on your battery too.

it did not smoke, but there was a little smell, Ill have to post up some photos when i get them up.

Could this be an issue with a bad motor? My old winch worked just as hard without issue.. any sources for one of those badass upgraded 8274 motors?

it did not smoke, but there was a little smell, Ill have to post up some photos when i get them up.

Could this be an issue with a bad motor? My old winch worked just as hard without issue.. any sources for one of those badass upgraded 8274 motors?

How badass of an upgraded motor do you want? Gigglepin 4X4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom