Ammco still has my hj60 after 2 months!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I agreed to let them rebuild the a440f for 3 grand.They said it would take a week and a half.Turns out its over the guys head in the shop, so the send it to a so called ''guru'' in Winchester Va, well its over his head, so they send it to a guy inWashington state-its still out there!! I have to force all this information out of them the entire time. Called them yesterday and they inform me after all this time that they found a crack in the transfer case and they need to charge me another thousand to fix that.Ijust want my truck back now-I wouldnt trust those guys to fix a flat tire-what a nightmare-

Hello
I live in West Virginia near Harpers Ferry/ Maryland line.

My guy in Dallas says this trans, is not that hard to fix, Mike

yikes. sounds sketchy to me...$3k to rebuild the AT seems like a lot. And then they "find" a crack in the t-case? Where was it cracked? I'd wonder if it was damaged in shipment. Regardless, I'd try to get out of it and fast. They clearly don't know what they're doing and for $4k you could probably have a rebuilt (or new?) H55F put in...

Seems funny that they didnt find the crack immed,since they are a tran. shop and its been there that long.Do they have a national customer complaint line? BBB? your ATT.GEN. complaint process?

Good advice-I just hope I can get it out w/out having to pay them for what theyve done.oh the T-case is my orignal one.Took them 2 months to find a crack in it. The original estimate was for torque converter,gasket pan,assembly set, filter and fluid.Gonna see if Iron Pig can help me.. Thanks

that's loco. An h55f w/ tcase from $pector Off Road is only $2,500.
I reckon shipping will raise it a little... but not $4K.

If it were me I would not call them, ignore them, contact BBB and lodge complaint. Tell them you are not going to pay because of their incompetence. I think the cracked t-case is BS....2 months and multiple shippings to find this out!!??, Nothing but BS.

Take your monney and buy H55f/ necessary conversion parts and save$$.

Did they remove the tranny and still have your truck? If so get the truck before you blow them off.

Daryl

Be sure to look into the full cost before you leap: you'll need a clutch master, clutch pedal assembly, clutch slave, hydraulic line to connect them, and maybe some other bits and parts.

If you can locate a wrecked fj60 it'll probably make the project much cheaper and easier.

Then, of course, you'll have a manual transmission. For me, that's a plus! but not everyone wants to drive stick. And if possible, you might try to find someone w/ an h41 or h55f to try it out. The 1st gear is really low. With 4.10 diffs, it'll be very very low if you have 31-inch tires. 33s will be much better. With h55f, 4.10s, and 31s, you'll probably end up starting out in 2nd gear if you are on flat ground.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should look at the whole picture in terms of where you drive and such before making the leap. If you are offroad a fair amount, you'll be stoked. If you do a lot of stop and go, you might not love it so much.

Daryl,
The truck is still at the shop here and the tranny is in Washington State, They deemed it ''unrepairable'' and there not sending it back.the guy at amcco found a used a440f in new hamshire that he wants to rebuild and put in my truck. after chewing him out he knocked the price down from 4 grand to 3500. I told him I would have to think about it and he say I could walk out w/ paying w/ no hassle from them.

Sandcruiser,
I do like the auto and the truck is my commute to work-it doesnt get off-road alot but thats gonna change.I cant do the work myself, so if Iron Pig can put in a manual for 3500 or less it I might consider it-dont know anyone who has one for a test drive

Chang,
gonna se if Iron Pig can do it. They did some frame work for me and were great to deal w/

My advice:
If you didn't pay them anything yet (or just a small down payment) let them keep the transmission and for 3K you probably can get a decent rebuilt one. The problem now is that you are under their mercy, they start by saying there's a crack in the T-case, next they can tell you that any number of other things are wrong/broken..etc and you have to come up with $$$ to have it fixed.. They can go forever. Classic story of dishonest mechanics..

at the risk of offending: unless you have a physical condition that prevents you from doing some fairly heavy lifting (or from laying on frozen ground), installing your own tranny just isn't that hard to do.

Ok, scratch that, it is hard. But if it weighed 200lbs less, it would be really really easy to do.

Just get a copy of the factory service manual, read up on Mud about how to do the job, make sure you've got some time set aside... and have at it. OH, also get a tranny jack (some places like autozone/kragen/etc rent them) and also a floor jack. If you can convince a friend to help you out- even just passing you tools, it helps an awful lot.

I guess it is a pretty scary thing to contemplate trying on your own, but it is just assembling parts. You can get all the hand-holding you could ever want here on Mud. In no way should it take more than a weekend to do. But I suppose it could get tricky to get the rig home- as of now the motor is hanging by just the front supports, you should exercise a degree of caution in moving it around.

tell them to stuff the tranny up their ass go find a wreck and still a used tranny into your truck.

as for costs, one of my customers deceded to have his auto rebuilt in Calgary, the final bill was $6500.
average REBUILD costs is $4500 plus R&R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom