Amicalola Graded and gone (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
You all know by now that Old Bucktown is a flat forest service-type road.
Well, they did it to Amicalola. :mad:

Expedition Portal Forum

This is the big sloppy mud hole now.

2011-06-18154853.jpg

just my personal opinion here but...

sorry to see that but not surprising, too much vehicle traffic and too much info online about it. Just goes to show if you want to keep a good trail around you gotta keep it to yourself. I've seen pics and vids and descriptions and maps of this trail on every forum I visit and knew it was just a matter of time. I don't believe it's realistic to expect these kinds of trails to stay open/unchanged when everyone and their grandmother goes up there after reading about it online. Now I'm just waiting for the county bulldozer to run over the other good trail not far from there, you know the one I'm talking about.

the yahoo that left his jeep in the mud hole last year probably didn't help the situation much either.

Last edited:
Now I'm just waiting for the county bulldozer to run over the other good trail not far from there, you know the one I'm talking about.
Yup.
When I saw a drunk guy wheeling his lawn tractor there, I sorta was hoping for a bulldozer...

I just want to do a little wheeling and camp next to a river, not in a Yogi Bear park.
The east coast won't cut it much longer. It was amazing out in New Mexico; so much wide open space, dirt, nothingness. Awesome.

Free camping, middle of nowhere:
Roadtrip20111148_crop.jpg

Roadtrip2011880.jpg

Same fate as many of the roads/trails at Cullowhee. It's all a problem of too many people, too little land, and too little money to maintain. Couple that with a growing anti-OHV access sentiment with many land managers and you have the perfect storm for OHV closure.

Out west there is often a similar (maybe to a lesser extent) anti-OHV sentiment but at least there you have more land and fewer people which does wonders for an area's carrying capacity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom