1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

American Fad?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by TJDIV, Aug 1, 2005.

1. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/31/atkins.bankruptcy.ap/index.html

I think it's interesting how this carb diet was a joke from Day One, but millions of people bought into for YEARS.

Now all of sudden, what's happening here? Are they realizing it's absolute bullshit?

Too Bad. Eat Normal. Exercise Normal. Live Normal.

If you have to ask what Normal is, it'll cost ya $40/hour. :doh:

2. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Actually I really dont think it is bullshit. My wife did it, lost weight and has kept it off for two years. It is a normal diet, regardless what a very biased media tells you. Because of it she eats tons of fresh veggies and fruit, but her intake of just sugar and processed foods went down.

The bonus is, she has quite a few food allergies (all minor but cause excema) and sugar intake compounds her reactions so cutting out sugar and carbs was a big bonus.

Most people mischarterized it as meat only high protein, but read the book and check out the amount of veggies you eat...

3. Red Herring

Red Herring

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't do Atkins, but I quit eating bread, pasta, white rice, sugar, etc... and lost 60 lbs, and have had no problem keeping it off for over a year now. Of course, I eat lots of fruit and veg... but have cut out anything that turns to sugar easily in the body. Works for me. Cholesterol down, BP way down. Really more a lifestyle change. On the other hand, it has not worked at all for my wife.

4. trainrech

trainrech

A buddy of mine's diet best sums up what we should all follow:

"Instead of eating two pizzas, I just ate one".

Next time you go to McD's, order the kid meal. You'll be surprised when that fills you up just fine.

5. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    you are bascally putting your body in a state of Ketoneacidocis (sp) which means your body is dumping protein out, mostly pissing. Since your body is constantly trying to dump this protein it is working 24/7 thus most of the weight loss. The bad - if you have too much protein in your body it can ruin your kidneys and capillaries b/c protein molecules are bigger. This is what happens to a diabetic when he looses control of the diesease....

6. BNC

BNC

I lost 80lbs and have kept it off over 5 years.

Common sense, dedication, and hard work is all that is needed.

Common sense: You know pizza and burgers aren't good for you, so don't eat them. You know fresh fruits and veggies, grilled chicken (not fried, duh), fish and the like are good for you, so eat them. You konw covering stuff in butter and sour cream is bad, so don't.

Dedication: You have to keep it up all the time, both dieting and exercising. If you drop 40lbs and then say "hey, I'm skinny, I don't need to work out or diet now" it will all come roaring back. Like Red Herring said, it is a lifestyle change.

Hard work: Get on the track, treadmill, weight room, pool, bicycle, or whatever, but DO SOMETHING. Take the stairs, carry your luggage (no stupid wheels), or even wrench a Cruiser, but be active daily.

I really need to write a book and get rich :grinpimp: More money for Cruisers that way ;)

7. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:

Unfortunately, Noah; these people will ALWAYS go the easy route with ABSOLUTELY NO understanding of the long term affects and potential dangers that such an ignorant diet can produce.

If it worked for you, great. About 90% of anyone I've ever known to try it was met 3 months down the road by reality.

8. Shahram

Shahram I ain't got herpes no more.

I went on a low-carb, no processed food diet for a year, lost 45 lbs., and never realized how bad I felt before I did it. I felt fan-f***ing-tastic. I stopped in February, right around the time my wife got pregnant. Since then, I ate whatever sounded good (french fries, bread, pastries, candy), and in five months put on 40 lbs. and have never felt worse. I went back on the diet last week, and I feel somewhat better already, aside from a few cravings. I've also lost a couple of pounds, and my family and friends say I look healthier, less bloated, less tired. I'm sleeping better, my insomnia is non-existent, and I am more alert, more attentive, and less hyper feeling.

You've got to remember that television media outlets are sponsored by mega-corporations that shill out everything from cigarettes to crackers and candies. These media outlets are very quick to shoot down ANY diet that doesn't involve something that is manufactured by these corporations. Legitimate news outlets would never talk about studies that show that eating fast food is more dangerous than smoking, even though independent studies have shown just that, because they know they'd lose sponsors.

9. Shahram

My question to people who doubt the ill effects of starch and refined sugar on the human body is this:

Man has been cultivating and producing bread for around 10,000 years. What did people eat before we went on a grain-dependent diet? How long has our species had to adapt to refined sugar and processed grain flour? Not long, in an evolutionary sense. Before bread, for literally millions of years, man relied on raw plant matter, roots, and simple protein and fats gleaned from insects, fish, nuts, legumes, and small mammals, reptiles, and birds, with the rare large mammal thrown in when they got lucky.

So any diet that is plentiful, but has the same basic materials that man has relied upon for millions of years is probably the most healthy choice. You can't tell me that a processed food diet, with all its sugars, starches, chemical preservatives and hydrogenated fats, is healthier than a simple piece of meat, chicken or fish, and a pile of veggies.

10. BNC

BNC

Not to mention that when living in the same time period with access to similar medical care, hunter/gather communities were generally healthier than agricultural societies.

11. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

lol, i love the way people go "what did we eat back then"

well what was the average life expectancy for us pre-grain dependant diet? 20-25 years?

ohhh give me that diet... i'd be in retirement by now :)

12. Josie'sLandCruiser

Josie'sLandCruiser Stop calling it a "FJ."

Media:
    Albums:
    Hi All:

Classic "Hunter/Gather societies had a way more varied diet than the typical simple agricultural society, which relied mostly on one basic foodstuff (rice, or wheat, or corn, or potatos, etc.)

In our current situation, it is a problem of the very high levels of fat, salt, and sugar in the typical processed North American diet, and the low-level of exercise that the typical North American does on a daily basis. Obviously, this is a very simplistic statement - there is a lot to do with the almost overnight change in diet in modern industrial societies (over the last 150 years.) The human species takes many generations to evolve to changes in its' environment.

Regards,

Alan
    Seattle

13. Shahram

During an anthropology paper I wrote in college, I learned (that from an evolutionary biology standpoint) the consensus is that low life expectancies were a result of numerous factors, not just dietary. Modern medicine and hygiene education have helped people live longer, as has availability of food. It wasn't a problem of what people were eating, it was how little they were getting to eat, and the quality of the food they were eating, in terms of contamination, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'll take McDonalds and TV over starvation and death from an infected ingrown toenail any damn day. I'm just pointing out that we as a species have not adapted to our food, in terms of starch and refined sugar. Our dietary habits, as a whole, are maladaptive.

On the other hand, we could ask for worse things than eating delicious hamburgers until we die.

14. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

i am well aware of that... i was semi tongue in cheek about that... but we really don't know if back then, we were eating the "best" diet as with the scarcity of foodstuffs, i'm tipping they'd eat pretty much anything.

gotta wonder how our ancestors would go, eating a few chocolate bars.... considering they'd be exersizing alot more than we do currently...

maybe high sugar, high fat diets are our evolutionary prime diets... we just are too fat and lazy to take advantage of it

15. Nick the Carpenter

Nick the Carpenter

yhe only way to loose weight is to get of your ass and do something ,eat more = do more my 2 cents

16. elum

elum

there's this little thing called "discipline" that goes a long way...

17. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

but nick that takes effort and work... don't you understand it's an american's right to get everything given to them cheaply and easily :flipoff2:

i loves you guys :)

18. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Most fatties have a variation of the Pie-Hole disorder......hand-to-mouth disease.

However I have battled high cholesterol for years, went on Atkins, which BTW after the initial induction phase of two weeks can be a very normal diet. My cholesterol #'s met the new guidelines, triglycerides went waaay low and HDL went up. My overweight, post heart attack, no-red-meat-eating, bicycle riding MD was astonished.
    Just my experience...

Ed

19. Liam

Liam

Media:
    Albums:
    TAT (think about this)- you over consume the things that initially added to your cholesterol being high in the first place. Something doesn’t make sense...
    What you are doing is starving your body of things it uses to absorb nutrients, fats, vitamins. If you would have consumed responsibly in the first place you wouldn’t had to go on a diet that is known to cause kidney, liver, and capillary damage - BTW, the major cause of impotence is capillary damage.

20. Jim_Phillips

Jim_Phillips

I weigh 260 Lbs - My wife weighs 130 Lbs - we basically eat the same. I have a more advanced digestive system than my wife. Mine is so efficient that it runs a 260 Lb / 6ft 5 inch frame and manages to put a litle energy aside for a rainy day - all on a low calorie intake. In a way I am more evolutioany advanced than my wife. In times of shortage my system would do very nicely. Last year I ran the London Marathon in 4.5 hours - I lost 20 pounds doing the training but have managed to put it all back on without changing my diet.