Ambulance Door Window (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have a link or video for steps to replace seal and glass on ‘78 ambulance door square glass pane? I’ve never tried before. Thanks. I’ve got some cloudy residual dirt or fluid that’s stuck in between the glass and am trying to find a glass shop to cut to size. Thank you.

(Right window)

26240C46-1D0C-46D2-BD4C-D070EBE0A9C0.jpeg

Between the glass is interesting. I wonder if somebody put laminated glass in. I'm almost certain the Toyota glass is tempered.

I'm no help on getting it out or replacing it, but if your seals look to be in rough shape, might want to order new seals that are supple. I do know crispy old seals will make it a bear to reinstall.

In my experience, a little soap and water may help. Sun can warm up the rubber. The window works form the inside out. Start folding, flexing the rubber all the way around, little by little. Thin rope is used to install and can be use to help hold the rubber away from the metal as you work it loose. Progress getting one side or top/bottom loose and the rest will follow suit. As said, new rubber may be required.

harbor freight sells a glass install tool that is basically a grip with string to pass through it. Dry silicone spray is handy to lube stuff up to slide into place. You need another set of hands to press on window while you do string thing.

I need to do this as well. One of my rear windows got replaced with some
Plexiglass (which is now scratched/hazy) by the PO.

I got a set of used OEM glass from Cruiser Corps for like $50. Planning on buying some new seals from CityRacer when I decide to get around to it.

I need to do this as well. One of my rear windows got replaced with some
Plexiglass (which is now scratched/hazy) by the PO.

I got a set of used OEM glass from Cruiser Corps for like $50. Planning on buying some new seals from CityRacer when I decide to get around to it.
Aside, any good sources to buy a single piece of glass (I know I won't find new) in good enough shape to reinstall? It's odd that my window is stock, so not laminated making it odd that anything could get in between the glass (unless laminated I thought?) - I just am really confident it's on the inside - tried hard to get it off. No progress. Maybe a razor blade lightly across? Thanks for all of these tips.

Are you using lawn trimmer string to pull out one side of the weatherstrip edge?

Don't glass shops have a major suction cup that keeps them from breaking a sweat? I've seen videos of a CJ5 windshield install that was a breeze because it was done horizontally, folded down. I had the Toyota service dept install mine because I wasn't ready to deal with removing the door.

Don't need soap, or spray, or lube, or anything besides a length of small diameter rope. I use paracord. Can install those in about 10 minutes. The hardest part is holding the door still.

Here's mine. USA flags on bottom left and right corners. Fraternal State Police sticker top right. All glass is legit.

windows.JPG

You can see they used cheap weatherstrip during repaint, and it is cracked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom