Ambulance Door Repair (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm getting ready to really tear into my 40 for a total restoration. I absolutely know what I'm getting myself into having done a total restoration on my 67 Mustang Fastback to include body, steering, drivetrain and paint.

I realize this is a different bird so I'm doing a lot of mud reading, learning and trying to keep from asking dumb questions. So while I'm waiting to sell my Wrangler (see ya) for additional garage space, I've been pulling parts body parts like the cowl, vent doors, license plate bracket, bumperettes, front and bumper and the bezel. They get a gentle sandblasting, epoxy priming, filler primer and Pebble Beige paint. I'm storing the completed parts, ordering new fasteners from Overland and replacing the smaller soft parts like gaskets and rubber items.

I just pulled of my ambulance doors and have some rust and bubbling at the bottom. I plan on welding in new replacement panels for the bottoms. I'm new on the 40 scene so I'm looking for some guidance for on a good vendor for panels. I plan on knocking these doors out next, so any recommendations on good fitting sheet metal is appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Awlteqs write up of his repairs is very thorough and lots of pictures. Real steel makes bottoms and cool cruisers does as well. I followed Kevin’s lead for my door bottoms and fabricated my own panels which turned out great. For the main doors I used cool cruisers stuff due to mine being so far gone. I thought the quality was great and the install was pretty straight forward. I’ll try and find you the link

depending on how extensive the rust is, there is this option:

get another set of doors and use the good tops for bottoms. there was a write up many years ago doing it this way before the vendors started making reproduction repair panels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom