Ambulance Door Keys (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We finally found a 76 LC, got it home and am in the process of learning the truck and generally moving in! We are pretty stoked....anyway, the lock for the ambulance door only came with one key (I am attaching several pics). I went to a local locksmith who could not determine the blank he needed to make the copy. I am wondering what the best route is. Maybe buy the new OEM lockset that comes with several keys? Or try and find a blank? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The number on the key I have is #4533 and is labelled TR on one side, and is labelled Toyota Motor Company on the other side along with the TEQ logo. Thanks! - Bob

20191211_180130.jpg

20191211_180145.jpg

I just installed a new OEM cylinder and keys for my '75. Tie a fishing line on the middle of the spring clip in case it falls in the door during installation. Mine has a nice rust hole at the bottom of the door, so I didn't have to sweat retrieval when it fell.

GEDC1705.JPG

But, if you need a key blank that works for the copy, I got this when I first got the '75. It says Taylor USA, and T74 Y in the circle on the right.
GEDC1704.JPG

I just installed a new OEM cylinder and keys for my '75. Tie a fishing line on the middle of the spring clip in case it falls in the door during installation. Mine has a nice rust hole at the bottom of the door, so I didn't have to sweat retrieval when it fell.

View attachment 2154618

But, if you need a key blank that works for the copy, I got this when I first got the '75. It says Taylor USA, and T74 Y in the circle on the right.
View attachment 2154623
Thanks for the information. So if I understand correctly, I should be able to go to a locksmith with that blank key code, and my existing key and get a duplicate. Thanks so much for the help.

The generic key blank has one less groove along its side, but it works anyway. It took a seasoned pro to find the blank, but really I wanted two copies, they told me to check it at home, and come back, when I did they didn't have someone who knew exactly how to look for the right blank.

With another vehicle, I've tried to get a key copied twice at that same old-school place. The first time was a copy using a blank that was too fat to fit in the lock, two keys went to the trash. Then I brought an OEM blank, they tried to 'read' the pattern, claiming my copy was worn-out, they tried the freshly 'read' pattern on a generic blank, tested it, then did the same with the OEM blank. I used it for a week, determined that it was sticking in the cylinders, two more hit the trash. When I get around to it I'll get some more OEM blanks and try again, this time to just copy the ones that look bad, but work well, but not try to 'read' the pattern.

I decided that I'm wasting the locksmiths time, and my money, so I just got two fresh keys for the ambulance door with cylinder from Cruiser Corps, so I don't have to think about it with the 40.

I think that in the end, you are right. Just get the new cylinder assembly. They are't too expensive at all, and boom, you have two keys right off the bat. Thanks.

I too use the Taylor T74Y. I prefer it over the stock key as it is very strong and resists deformation when throwing the lock open or closed in my '75 rear ambulance door lock (it is a little sticky).

Is having one key fitting the steering column, front doors, ambulance doors and gas cap cover considered unusual ? It's a 1977.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom