Amazing Mobil One 5W40 Results!

turbocruiser

SILVER Star
 
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,562
Hi all, thought I would share some results from recent oil analysis at blackstone. I recently switched from M1 0W40 to 5W40. I did not think that the colorado climate really required the 0W40 and I was hoping that the 5W40 would somewhat slow the super slight cold leak leaving the oil pan overnight. Considering that the turbo is oil cooled and oil lubed and considering that the vehicle is regularly raced up and down mountain passes both on and off road, I thought these results were amazing. I am also especially excited that there is no coolant and no gasoline in the oil. Lastly, I'm very happy with the super service at blackstone labs and would readily recommend them to anyone as another terrific diagnostic tool. Any thoughts????


Narrative: No problems showed up here. Comparing wear in this sample to the universal average for this type of engine, you can see you have generated virtually no wear into the oil after 3,000 miles oil use. Those average are based on a 4,800 mile oil use interval. The TBN was still strong at 8.0, so this oil still has plenty of active additive left. 1.0 is a low reading. No fuel dilution or anti-freeze was present and the viscosity was normal for a 5W/40. The low insolubles show good oil filtration. At 141,065 total miles, we think this engine is doing very well.

Miles on Oil: 3000
Miles on Motor: 141,065

Unit Averages This Motor VS. Universal Averages This Motor Type
Aluminum 2 2
Chromium 0 0
Iron 3 6
Copper 1 3
Lead 0 3
Tin 0 1
Molybdenum 13 49
Nickel 0 0
Manganese 0 1
Silver 0 0
Titanium 0 0
Potassium 3 1
Boron 53 53
Silicon 9 9
Sodium 2 4
Calcium 2166 2485
Magnesium 391 55
Phosphorus 988 832
Zinc 1073 1008
Barium 0 0


SUS Viscosity At 210 F: Should Be 65 -78, Was 71.7

Flashpoint in F: Should Be >375, Was 390

Fuel %: Should Be <2.0%, Was <.5%

Antifreeze%: Should Be 0, Was 0

Water%: Should Be <.1, Was 0

Insolubles%: Should Be <.6, Was .4



Personal Note: Not sure why the magnesium measured so high? Or why the phosphorus and zinc showed somewhat high? Any thoughts on that???

Thanks, :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
 
Last edited:

cary

 
 
Joined
May 7, 2003
Messages
3,148
Looks good, you might post in over on bobistheoilguy.com to get some feedback and add to the database. Now take it out to 8k and get back to us with a report. :D
 

Gauge

 
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2004
Messages
291
Location
Southern New Jersey
reffug said:
Someone has to much free time on there hands again. ;)
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Hardest I have laughed all week! Thanks for that.

Turbocruiser you are SUCH a perfectionist! I wish I could help you analyze the lube analysis, but alas, I cannot.

Regardless, when you are ready to sell your rig, just call me. I bet it looks better than the day it rolled off the assembly line!
 

turbocruiser

SILVER Star
 
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,562
cary said:
Looks good, you might post in over on bobistheoilguy.com to get some feedback and add to the database. Now take it out to 8k and get back to us with a report. :D

Thanks Cary, I was hoping you would care to chime in here. I think that the next time to test will be at 5K interval. With the turbo I would not want to push the thing too far. Thanks again. :cheers:
 

turbocruiser

SILVER Star
 
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,562
Gauge said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Hardest I have laughed all week! Thanks for that.

Turbocruiser you are SUCH a perfectionist! I wish I could help you analyze the lube analysis, but alas, I cannot.

Regardless, when you are ready to sell your rig, just call me. I bet it looks better than the day it rolled off the assembly line!

Thanks man, that's the sweetest thing that anyone around here has told me thus far!!! Well, second to the stuff Junk's momma's always whispering to me. :D :D :D
 

turbocruiser

SILVER Star
 
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,562
tarbe said:
Your Mg and P numbers are right in with the one virgin analysis on bobistheoilguy (420ppm and 1059ppm respectively).

Good analysis!

Cool, so yer sayin that M1 has higher amounts of this to start, or that all the oils have higher amounts of this but they wear out over time??? Not so sure from what yer sayin and I would want to learn more about this amazing stuff. Thanks. :cheers:
 

turbocruiser

SILVER Star
 
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,562
IdahoDoug said:
Turbo,

What air filter and what oil filter are you using??

DougM

OEM of course!!!

Specifically the washable air filter element and the 90004 oil filter element!

Ohh, all from Dan the Man, of course!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Seriously though as hard as I push my motor performance, I was not expecting this level of lubrication performance. I shared this simply to show that M1 5w40 really works wonders in our rigs, FI or NA, as the case may be, and that 5K, perhaps even 8K oil change intervals are almost always absolutely safe. :cheers:
 

Draken

 
Joined
Sep 28, 2003
Messages
284
Location
PNW, WA aka wetside
I remember reading on yotatech that there was a 4Runner owner who had tested his oil out to 10k and still got good results. IIRC he finally decided on 7500mi oil change intervals with Mobil 1 Synthetic. YMMV
 

turbocruiser

SILVER Star
 
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,562
Draken said:
I remember reading on yotatech that there was a 4Runner owner who had tested his oil out to 10k and still got good results. IIRC he finally decided on 7500mi oil change intervals with Mobil 1 Synthetic. YMMV
Yes, I remember some similar reports here and there. As some interesting side information, I spoke to the technician at blackstone and he expressed some real reluctance to take the "Extended Life" oils up on the offer; although he totally trusts Mobil products, as an analysis technician he feels it is a real recipe for failure from filtration problems to the fact that within the 15K mile time trial, there is the time to allow failure of all sorts of stuff. Like I wrote, I think I am gonna go with 5K interval this next time and see what that shows. :cheers:
 

cary

 
 
Joined
May 7, 2003
Messages
3,148
I have posted analysis from 8k interval changes with Mobil 1 0w-40 before and the oil had a lot of life left. 7.5k intervals on Mobil 1 is a very conservative, safe interval.
 

turbocruiser

SILVER Star
 
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,562
cary said:
I have posted analysis from 8k interval changes with Mobil 1 0w-40 before and the oil had a lot of life left. 7.5k intervals on Mobil 1 is a very conservative, safe interval.

Very cool, thanks for that Cary, now, the million dollar question, how much should I shave off the 7.5K when factoring in the turbo??? Like I wrote earlier, I think I'll run the TBN at 5K and see what's left. Are you changing filters half way through the 7.5K or are you running a bypass filter or what??? Thanks again though! :cheers:
 
Joined
Nov 16, 2003
Messages
6,048
Location
Dixie co. Florida
That is a good report, even for a 3k, lead and tin 0, iron and al very low (wear metals) ,

Was this Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w-40 or Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40?

I would usually say that with M1 a 3k change is a waste of $, was not sure with a turbo engine but the results say your oil can go further.

Molybdenum, calcium, zinc, boron and phosphorous are some of the elements used in oil additives, but also some can be indications of problems, having these values the about same as the virgin oil analysis shows that what came out was about the same as what went in, nothing added nothing lost.

Here is my latest report for comparison even counting for the higher miles (5,491
) it is not as good.

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 9
COPPER 1
LEAD 5
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 72
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 139
SILICON 8
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 3123
MAGNESIUM 19
PHOSPHORUS 862
ZINC 1089
BARIUM 0

My #’s have slowly been dropping since it has been in my care hopefully this will continue.
 

turbocruiser

SILVER Star
 
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
3,562
RavenTai said:
That is a good report, even for a 3k, lead and tin 0, iron and al very low (wear metals) ,

Was this Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 5w-40 or Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40?

I would usually say that with M1 a 3k change is a waste of $, was not sure with a turbo engine but the results say your oil can go further.

Molybdenum, calcium, zinc, boron and phosphorous are some of the elements used in oil additives, but also some can be indications of problems, having these values the about same as the virgin oil analysis shows that what came out was about the same as what went in, nothing added nothing lost.

Here is my latest report for comparison even counting for the higher miles (5,491
) it is not as good.

ALUMINUM 2
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 9
COPPER 1
LEAD 5
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 72
NICKEL 0
MANGANESE 0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM 1
BORON 139
SILICON 8
SODIUM 3
CALCIUM 3123
MAGNESIUM 19
PHOSPHORUS 862
ZINC 1089
BARIUM 0

My #’s have slowly been dropping since it has been in my care hopefully this will continue.

Hi RT, it was M1 5W40 for SUV's, not the Delvac. Next analysis at 5K and we'll see where the TBN and wear metals work out to then. :cheers:
 
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
838
I just switched to this oil in my wifes cruiser, it was the closest I could find for the 0/40 weight I could find at wally world in the 5 quart jug. The slight start up rattle is gone now. :D
I was using the 5/30 .
 

cruiserdan

SupportingVendor Emeritus
Moderator
 
 
Joined
Mar 27, 2003
Messages
23,000
Location
Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
cary said:
I have posted analysis from 8k interval changes with Mobil 1 0w-40 before and the oil had a lot of life left. 7.5k intervals on Mobil 1 is a very conservative, safe interval.

I can't foce myself to leave oil, no matter how well it performs, in an engine longer than 4,000 miles. I just can't do it..... ;p
 
Top Bottom