Amateur questions (basic 40 wheelin')

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am gearing towards my first wheeling trip in a few weeks. I am relatively new to the 40 lifestyle and I am wondering a few things randomly. Feel free to take a shot at any of these.

1. Any tips for crawling up rocks on an incline with a manual trans and a stock carburetor. If I stall and im pointed up, what do I do if she wont start? I am new to manual chokes n' carbs n' such.

2. I am rolling topless, my jump seats are folded up but I am wondering how to best stow/pack the small cargo area with needed supplies/camping. I am imagining bouncing around and my stuff flopping out and about.And I have two small dogs:eek:

3. The other concern. The :princess: hates bouncling around in the passenger seat with no doors, nothing really to hold on to, and a lap belt/bench seat. Seat belt fastened tight enough so she doesn't bounce out, but so tight it yanks and digs when we are jostled around on the rougher terrain. I need some easy solutions here that don't require major mods at this time. I guess putting doors back on will help, boo...

Thats about it for the moment. I am hoping you guys can enlighten me to your resolutions to these little nuances of 40 wheeling. :hmm::cheers:

385901810.jpg

One last easy one? I don't think my roll cage is for a 72', what year is this from?

On an incline if you stall, hold the brakes, depress the clutch, select reverse, release the clutch, release hold on brakes, hit the key to start and wind it backwards on the starter lightly riding the brakes till it fires, then proceed as usual..

I use ratchet straps to hold my gear in..

I travel doorless.. I have a cage with retractable belts connected to the B pillar.. Your cage looks like you could do that, and I'd suggest its some sort of aftermarked addition, never seen anything like that from the factory..

1 Don't stall

2 Ratchet straps

3 Leave wife and dogs home

I would try to at least appease the wife for if she has fun, the you are more than likely able to go more

I'm 99.99% sure that's my old 40!??! Where did you get it from??

You can get a grab bar installed in the dash (Con Fer type) or installed on to a cross bar on your cage. (install a bar between the A pillars above the dash pad, and attach a grab bar there) Your cage is an aftermarket item.

Build some storage drawers for the back that you can bolt to the floor when in use. Then remove and store when not in use.

Pickup or make a set of half doors or tube doors. You still get some of the "doorless" feel with the added feel of safety.

Shawn

1. Pack the bottom of the bed securely so that thing's can't move around. Use crates / boxes (with secure lids as necessary). As stated - ratchet straps.

2. Take it easy on your first wheeling trip. Don't go up 45 deg rock slopes that are so steep you may stall. Save the technical stuff until you get some experience - after your "shakedown cruise".

3. Try and be smooth - minimize wheelspin, jerks, crashing sounds, etc. judicious application of both the gas and the clutch can take you a long way.

Use this trip to learn your rig and to answer your questions for yourself (everyone is different because of their varying equipment configurations, rigs, passenger loads, etc.)

Make sure your wife has fun and don't scare her. My wife hates the 40, and trips with her aren't as fun as they could be - nowadays, she just doesn't go.

You could also just leave HER door on, until you get a better solution.....

And have fun!

Rocky

The key to making someone comfortable: They must feel like they have some control.
You have the steering wheel to hold on to, the passenger has nothing. Some kind of strap or handle towards the middle of the vehicle will give the passenger the feeling that their arms won't fly out.

get some half doors for the misses, it sill gives you the topless feel and also the safty feel. wheeling is a learn as you go thing, always remember if you start going backwards throw it in reverse fast and youll b fine

thanks!!

Thanks for the feedback. I am still scratching my head about fitting everything. Cooler, sleeping bag for two, tent, air mattress, big plastic storage box with coleman stove and such, H2o container, 2 pillows for :princess:, 5 gal plastic gas can....and a 7 lb + 30 lb dog

368873930.jpg

:rolleyes:

1. Any tips for crawling up rocks on an incline with a manual trans and a stock carburetor.

Keep your foot off the clutch and your thumbs outside the steering wheel.

Zack- I've got a set of half doors sitting in the garage you can borrow for your trip. Just let me know and come on down and grab them:cheers:

Thanks for the feedback. I am still scratching my head about fitting everything. Cooler, sleeping bag for two, tent, air mattress, big plastic storage box with coleman stove and such, H2o container, 2 pillows for :princess:, 5 gal plastic gas can....and a 7 lb + 30 lb dog
:rolleyes:

FYI: I know this probably needs to be in the Camping and Outdoor Gear section, so I will keep this short.

Whether my wife and I are backpacking or truck camping, we always pack light. This will come in handy when I get my FJ40 on the road. Here are some ideas. Be ready to spend some money if you want to go light (weight and less gear).

1. down or synthetic sleeping bag. My wife enjoy's her women's cut. Ours pack down to a stuff sack 5" diameter and 9" long.
  2. therm-a-rest sleeping pad and pillow- 3/4 length. Buy the sling that turns your pad into a chair. Tell you wife to use her polar fleece coat for more "pillow"
  3. 3-person (allows room for your dogs) 3-season tent.
  4. Dehydrated food. Instant oatmeal works great for breakfast. Go with freeze dried coffee, Reduces more stuff that you have to carry in/out.
  5. Water purifier (if a water source is nearby).

Last edited:
Mrs.....bouncing...... and we get pics of the dogs?

Good luck on your first trip. She will fall in love with it as mine did.

thanks

Zack- I've got a set of half doors sitting in the garage you can borrow for your trip. Just let me know and come on down and grab them:cheers:

Thank you sir. I have had such a :censor: of a time getting the doors on and off that I will probably pass. I bent the pins taking mine off and just ordered a new set of 4 so I can replace my doors. Bummer is I still have not resolved my difficulty with rolling up my winders..:hmm:

My experience with bringing my dog wheeling is not good. He gets tossed around quite a bit and that was in the back of my 60....I just leave him at home now and wouldn't dare take him out in the 40.

Take the wife this first time while you "figure" things out and take it easy. More than likely, she will not love it and you will not need to worry about finding a permanent solution for her for future trips.

Get a cargo basket for rear bumper/trailer hitch if you have one(can't tell from the picture). Set up camp, only grab your cooler and leave the basket at camp.

thanks

Thanks Source and Unoman, im going to marinade on that..

If you stall going over something keep the tranny in gear and crank your starter (foot off of clutch and brake) lightly on the gas and it will keep your momentum going forward and should fire up. Try it on street before you go.

Action Packers are a great way to pack stuff up. Ratchet everything down. You can get fabric grab handles from 4 wheel parts that attach to your roll bar.
If you bring your dogs tie them in like they are in the back of a pick up truck. Keep your first trip easy. Bring good food and wine or Beer. That makes every trip better.

Don't flinch at cutting a trip short if your wife is not having fun. Remember a Happy Wife is a Happy Life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom