Am I unlucky or do all aftermarket fuel tank caps suck? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Seems every time I replace my gas cap, it fails and lets fuel slosh out my fuel door while I'm driving within just a few months. I know it's not a pressure issue because I did the "hose swap" trick on my worn out charcoal canister a few years ago and haven't had any kind of "whoosh" since when opening my gas tank. I'll be ordering a couple OEM Toyota caps next time I'm on Partsouq, but man, aggravating. Good thing it'll be getting paint (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Every time I’ve ever thought “ahh..aftermarket part in this application won’t matter” I’ve been wrong..

Right? Unless it's specifically designed as an upgrade, and even then....

Why not just get the oem cap?

Are you sure you don’t have fuel pressure building in the tank? Have you checked the charcoal canister? Are you topping off the fuel?
I bought a aftermarket and no problems.

Why not just get the oem cap?
I am. The other times were "well this shouldn't matter if it's aftermarket". Yeah, wrongo

@Hojack yeah there's no extra pressure. The valve on my canister IS shot, but I reversed there lines on it a few years ago. Going to try the Chemtool trick this weekend and see if I can free up the check valve though. If that don't go I'll put a Delco canister in.

I bought a $3 gas cap from Rock Auto - works perfectly. OEM had a rotted gasket.

Is your filler neck damaged? Mine was barely working and I ended up cutting the end off and welding a new one on.

Is your filler neck damaged? Mine was barely working and I ended up cutting the end off and welding a new one on.
I highly doubt it is, but it would be worth checking though just in case. If it is I'll see about ordering a new one from Partsouq.

Though if it is and it's just cracked I can easily Tig it back together, and if I can afford the downtime send it off to be zinc plated....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom